Search results

1. G

odd bulb ?

My right front turn signal bulb caused the flashing to be very fast. The light was out but the rear and side lights were flashing fast. After reading many posts I tried squirting electronic cleaner into the switch. It started to work. Not sure why. That didn't last long and the problem came...
  2. G

Opening the trunk with a key

Well, after 12 years of owning Jettas I found out how to open the trunk with a key. A few times I wanted to open the trunk with a key without going to the front and using the switch. Guess what, you can only open the trunk with a key if the car is locked. The key won't even go into the lock with...
  3. G

I just had to laugh

We were on a trip to Canada and I saw a 02 Jetta with its round front VW emblem upside down. My wife and I had a good laugh. I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things.:):):)
  4. G

Little Radio Knobs

So my Wife hands me one of the little knobs from our 02 TDI.:) I took it and tried to push it back on, no luck. Taking a flashlight I saw a small metal piece still on the stud on the radio. I pulled it off and pushed it into the plastic knob. The fix is to take a drop of super glue and put it...
  5. G

Just wondering, thermostat

After reading the A4 thermostat thread I thought back to the last thermostat I changed on my 1980 Datsun:). The replacement thermostat DIDN'T have the very small hole that the OEM had. A friend said that the hole was meant to allow the coolant to fill the system. So... I drilled a hole and...
  6. G

Garage door opener mount

I mounted my opener to the plastic cover on the sun roof. The cover is the place for the manual closing emergency crank. By using some material to encircle the cover it can be snapped back into position. I used one side of some stiff velcro that I had that was about the same color as the cover...
  7. G

CTS black to green

Does anyone know what is the difference is between the two CTS sensors? I was thinking that the thermistors might be the same value and that the pins might be a little larger diameter, hard to put a micrometer on them. The reason I am asking is because I cleaned the contacts on my 04s CTS with...
  8. G

Strange Radio

Strange Radio fix My 02s radio went dead again after about 5 years. Oh well, time to pull fuse 42 again for the fix... not this time. The little red led on the radio did blink, must have power. So time to see what my Vag says. Address 17: Instruments Labels: 1J0-920-xx5-17.lbl Part...
  9. G

0M1 RPM drop

When I am going down a hill at a lower speed and I tap my brake the RPM drops off to idle speed and the car seems to coast. I assume this is normal ? Now for the question, will tapping the break improve MPG ?
  10. G

Why did VW make

Can anyone answer why VW made our glow plug harness the way they did ? Is there any reason that they could have made it like the older spark plug wires that you could slip the boot up and expose the contact clip ? IMHO the power that is applied to the glow plug just needs to be covered to keep...
  11. G

Same location ?

Is the "coolant temperature sensor" in the same location on the VE and the PD ? I just changed it on my 02 because of a CEL and now my 04 has a small problem being intermittent on the dash gauge. Strange. It has to be the phase of the moon.:)
  12. G

Why new CTS

What was wrong with the black CTS ? Should there have been a recall when VW went to the green one ?
  13. G

CTS questions

Is the CTS sensor a thermistor ? The reason I ask is because if it is a thermistor, they are very reliable. Could it be that the pins that connect it to the ECU are not making good contact ? Has anyone checked the removed "bad" CTS for proper operation ? Could it be that the connector is not...
  14. G

Partitioned air filter box

Do the newer TDIs all have a partitioned air cleaner box like my 2004 has ? ... I have never looked at any newer cars. How many people know why it is designed that way ? CAN OF WORMS ALERT:rolleyes:
  15. G

stock cr faster than ?

Just wondering how the newer stock CR TDIs perform against a modified PD or ALH. A friend asked me because I own two TDIs. I couldn't give him an informed answer. Thanx Gil
  16. G

Topsider & Gasoline

Has anyone used their Topsider to suction out gasoline? The instructions say not to do it. Thanx Gil
  17. G

FYI Tire Pressure Search Engine

If anyone wants to know what their tire pressure should be for half load, the nice people at Firestone have a search engine at this link. http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/pressure.jsp Apparently, all the newer cars have a sticker mandated by the government that shows the FULL...
  18. G

not so sure tire pressures

OK 02 tdi wagon sticker says half load Front 28 psi Rear 26 psi 04 tdi sedan sticker says Front 33 psi Rear 42 psi Both cars use 195/65 R15 tires and are both mark4s I "know" the cars are a little different but why is there so much of a difference ?:confused:
  19. G

Tinted windows

Does anyone know if the after market tinting film looses some of its tint over time ? .
  20. G

VW is the "Dark Side" says Greenpeace

Click around their site and comment here. If you go to the YouTube link the video plays better. Very clever. Gil