Search results

1. hover_one

Speedometer fluctuates

'96 B-4, 200,000+ mi Anybody have any experience with a spedometer that fluctuates anywhere from 60-120 MPH with no change in engine RPM? at a steady speed, usually around 70 MPH, the needle hunts around the dial like it's looking for the right answer, usually +/- 20 or 25 MPH, but now and...
  2. hover_one

New engine or scrap it and start over?

On my last evening in the US before coming to Baghdad, my engine died 14 miles south of town. the mechanic is supposed to be taking pictures, and I haven't seen them yet, and I don't have a full diagnosis of what went wrong. '96 passat TDI, 197,000 miles, only 4000 miles on the timing belt...
  3. hover_one

Jump start, gauges failed...

Ok, I'm a knucklehead. Arctic airmass has dropped temperatures into single digits for the last two mornings, and my Passat wouldn't start. Yesterday I jumped it, no problem. This morning, I had to jump it again. I had to try it twice, and when it finally did start, I had NO indications on the...
  4. hover_one

'00 NB, retractable spoiler?

\'00 NB, retractable spoiler? I took the bug to the shop the other day, and I got it back and when I got home, I noticed something I'd never seen before-- above the back window is a two-inch "spoiler" that has raised up and is still in the up position. I'd never noticed it before! I didn't...
  5. hover_one

Serpentine belt '00 NB

Serpentine belt \'00 NB Y2K Bug just had the air conditioner condenser replaced and I picked up the car on Thursday afternoon. Friday evening I'm out teaching the kid to drive, I hear an "odd noise" from up front, something hits the ground and bounces up against the car, the battery light...
  6. hover_one

'00 NB A/C problems...

\'00 NB A/C problems... 2000 New Beetle TDI (of course) with 58,000 miles, the air conditioner seems to be having problems. I had it serviced not long ago, but it seems to become ineffective (air gets warmer) at a stoplight. I took it back, they checked the refrigerant and said it was fine...
  7. hover_one

Sunroof sliding roof panel

I just bought a 2000 New Beetle, the interior sunroof sliding roof panel (that provides shade/soundproofing when you have the window shut) is off of its tracks and is very hard to move forward and back. What is the best way to get into there and make it right? Is this a common failure in the...
  8. hover_one

B-4, Air conditioning...

The A/C in my '96 Passat just wasn't giving the old college try, so I took it to the only place that would get me in on my day off, the local Midas shop. Mr. Technician hooks it up to his machine, tells me that my system was overcharged, and my compressor is making noise. The "high pressure"...
  9. hover_one

Trunk lock replacement $?

I pulled the guts out of my trunk lock with the key a couple of months ago, it's been held back in place with the classic Oklahoma car-repair kit, tape across the lock and tail-light lens. I pulled the lock apart today looking for a loose c-clip, no such luck. C-clip firmly in place, lock...
  10. hover_one

Trunk lid lock

Not long ago, I opened my trunk and got some things and went about my business. later I pulled out my keys and found parts of the trunk lock still on my key, and a hole where the lock parts belonged (and grease in my pocket and on my hands). I put everything back in, and taped it in place so I...
  11. hover_one

Headliner replacement

I could use some advice... I'm replacing the headliner in my B4. I went to an auto upholstery shop and bought the material and the high-temperature adhesive, I spent today getting the headliner out of the car. I've peeled the fabric off, and now I'm cleaning the orange goop that was the old...
  12. hover_one

Wierd... headlight and tail light

This is odd...after changing my synthetic oil tonight, I went to move my car back onto the street where she sits in all her glory. The left headlight did not light, and I walked around while the engine was running, and the left tail light was out too. I don't know about the brake lights yet...
  13. hover_one

Flashing TEMP light...

'96 TDI Passat (the pride of the VW fleet) with 158,000+ miles, no chips or or other mods (exept that plugged 5th injector hose) got a flashing temperature light last night. The temperature needle hadn't moved a bit after it warmed up, steady at about 180 deg (f). The trip was only about 8...
  14. hover_one

Sermon on the (Motor) Mounts on a B4 Passat

Sorry, no photos--I spent my allowance on car parts instead of a digital camera. After e-mail consultation with Herm (thanks! ), I orderd my parts and they came in yesterday. I was successful in replacing the front motor mount today and ran out of time so I had to reassemble and get home...I...
  15. hover_one

Unwelcome noise from the radio...

...and I don't mean rap music. (That's another topic for another thread.) My factory radio in my trusty '96 B4 rattles as I drive. Any bump gives little clicks and knocks and squeaks from the radio control head itself. I can place my finger and press lightly on the left side of the face of...
  16. hover_one

lower front shield required?

My 1996 B4 TDI (the pride of the Volkswagen fleet) has a black two-piece shield under the front bumper. Previous owner at some point got too close to a rock or one of those parking lot curbs, drove onto this shield, and backed off leaving a "droop" in the left half of this shield that can be...
  17. hover_one

bucking driving off from a stop.

B4 with 143,000 miles. Suddenly the car seems to buck and jerk when accellerating from a stop in first gear but only first. Yes, I read the FAQ, it addresses bucking at higher speeds, and when the engine is cold, but this happens all the time. I'm afraid that my clutch or my first gear may...
  18. hover_one

Paint and clearcoat...

YUK! My pride and joy is growing unsightly... The clearcoat is flaking off of the right front fender and the hood, and the paint at the top of the left front fender seems to be turning lighter, but in an irregular pattern like someone spilled something on it before it was coated. So what can...
  19. hover_one

Coming out of STORAGE

For the past year, I've been in the middle east, my '96 Passat TDI has been in indoor storage near Ft. Bragg. I'm getting it out on the 17th of June. I stored it with a full tank, so condensation should not be a problem in the fuel, but I'll dump a bottle of fuel additive in just for good...
  20. hover_one

Oklahoma?

I'm returning from a glorious year in the Middle East and getting my '96 Passat TDI out of storage at Ft. Bragg next month. I'm being re-assigned to the Lawton Oklahoma area, and I'm wondering if there are any reccomendations of mechanics/shops to use or (more importantly) to not use in the...