Search results

1. K

I'm having trouble swapping ECMs

12 years ago I bought a used ECM and it sent it to Jeff at Rocketchips for a stage 2 flash. I swapped out my original ECM and place it on my parts shelf for 12 years. Fast forward to today and my 01 Golf TDI no longer passes California smog due to a failed OBDII test. I tried to remove the...
  2. K

Car is acting up...alternator?

I'm currently on vacation in Big Sur and I had a concerned moment this morning when I stuck the key in the ignition and turned the car "on." My dash lights failed to illuminate for about 10 seconds. I took the key out and stuck it back in and slowly turned the ignition to "on." There was about...
  3. K

Drivetrain refresh: My TDI has never felt this good!

Backstory: In 2003, I bought a used Golf TDI with 80K miles on it. I was alarmed that the clutch pedal vibrated like mad, the acceleration was slow, but otherwise was a fantastic and low maintenance car. Over the years, I installed power, braking, and suspension upgrades and really fell in...
  4. K

02J/Shifter problem

My car is pretty much stock with mostly original components. At 12 years and 250K miles, I started having trouble upshifting from 2nd gear to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and 2nd to 4th. I decided to replace the cable ends (my original cable ends looked brittle), adjust the cables, and replace the...
  5. K

New Old Stock (NOS) Clutch Question

I bought an ECS Tuning clutch (stage 1) with G60 flywheel several years ago and I'm finally ready to have it installed. The flywheel and pressure plate have a light layer of rust and I was wondering if I need to clean this up before installation, not to bother because it will take care of...
  6. K

Front wheel wobble. Denied wheel alignment

I took my 01 Golf with 267K miles in for a wheel alignment and was told they couldn't do it. They drove the car to about 5MPH and moderately applied the brakes. As the car slowed down, the front driver side wheel wobbled towards the front-back of the car as if the caster was rotating freely...
  7. K

Disappearing engine oil?

I'm having a disappearing oil issue in my 01 Golf with 258K miles. It's been 8K since my last oil change. Earlier this week, I checked my oil dipstick and noticed that it was on the low side so I added about 6 oz of Rotella T6 to get the oil to register in the middle of the high-low range. 3...
  8. K

Front end ticking sound

I recently had my tires rotated and now I'm hearing a hollow ticking sound from the driver's front side. It's a rotation issue and I'm not sure what can be causing it (CV joint, axle, wheel bearing, rotor, or just something obstructing the rotating parts). It only occurs as speed below 5 mph...
  9. K

Oil/Fuel leak with 256K miles

I noticed a few drops of oil under my normal parking spot in the garage coming from my 2001 Golf TDI. I took a 2 mile trip this morning and parked on the other side of the garage only to discover the smell of diesel filling my garage. I checked under the passenger front wheel and found a small...
  10. K

Valet fried my clutch?

After a frustrating 25 minutes waiting for my car, the valet manager told me they were having trouble getting my car up the ramp from the underground and if I ever had any difficulty driving on inclines. She asked if I wouldn't mind walking down with her so that I could just drive it out. She...
  11. K

Anyone finding water in their fuel filters?

I'm just curious if anyone is finding water in their fuel filters, owners in California to be particular. I changed my fuel filter on my 01 Golf TDI after 50K miles and found no water when draining. I'm wondering if others have reached the same results.
  12. K

Why isn't there a light duty TDI truck?

I was thinking someone should develop a 2.0L - 3.0L TDI pickup truck that could deliver 120+hp, 260 ft-lbs of torque, and net an average 35 MPG. I was thinking something size of Toyota Tacoma or the old Ford Ranger would be an ideal size. I think this is totally feasible and wouldn't demand...
  13. K

What Diesel Car - Magazine (UK)

I was at Barnes and Nobles the other day and saw a magazine I've never seen before. While it was $10 USD, I thought I'd look up their website. http://www.whatdiesel.co.uk/index.aspx Pretty good information, but Europe is way ahead of North America in terms of diesel technology and...
  14. K

Help me figure out what's wrong...ECT not hot enough

For the past 40K miles, I've been unable to get an accurate reading on the real-time TDI timing graph. The graph says the engine coolant is not hot enough, no matter how long I drive beforehand. I was convinced the ECT sensor was malfunctioning on my 01 Golf (the needle would drop from normal...
  15. K

Sachs Sport Clutch kit?

I was wondering if the Sachs Sport kit sold at evoms.com (Evolution Motorsports) is the same as the Sachs Power kit that has been posted on this forum. I did a search for Sachs Sport and couldn't produce anything. Anyways, the reason I'm posting is that I bought a 10K mile used ECS tuning...
  16. K

Help with ECM swap in SoCal, please.

I think I've just about had it trying to swap my ECM (can't get the wiper arms off...cracked the clear plastic to the cowl, and broke off a tab to the ECM harness), so I'm asking for some local help. Anyone in the Orange County area with some experience? I think I'm about to ask Leonard or...
  17. K

Changed my fuel filter and found some debris

I replaced my fuel filter on my 01 Golf TDI last week. It was long overdue with 35K miles on it and I was surprised with what I found. About 10K miles earlier, I filled up my 60% of my tank with B100 for the first time. I’ve read that a few people have felt unstable speed maintenance from...
  18. K

Negative Battery Terminal Corroded...Why?

About 2 months ago, my OEM battery started losing it's amp capacity, causing me to charge the battery every couple of days. I also noticed the negative battery terminal corroding like crazy. There would be a blueish-white powder all over the negative terminal. After cleaning it with a wire...
  19. K

FS: Autotech RSB, Bilstein/Neuspeed in Socal

Hey everyone, I have 2 Autotech hollow 28mm rear sway bars for sale. They install quite easily, but require 2 holes to be drilled on the torsion beam. I ended up having to get the new updated bar to clear the rear height adjuster for the H&R Dune Buggy coilovers. I'd like to ask $140 picked...
  20. K

How much more drag from splash guards?

I was wondering if anyone has regarded the OEM optional splash guards and sunroof wind deflector as factors of increased drag. I have both on my Golf and was wondering if I'd see any increase in fuel economy if I were to remove either. NOTE: I have the sunroof tilted up 95% of the time.