Search results

1. R

How much blowby is too much, and from where?

The back of my engine has been getting oily the past 200,000 miles or so. Gets to be annoying but not drippy. EGR valve is also messy. So what is annoying is the car only has 700,000 miles on it. Never had the head off. Never had the oil pan off. So folks that have some real experience, how do...
  2. R

Where to get the little plastic clips that break around the engine?

One supports the wire on the third injector. Clips around the vacuum pump that hold wires and hoses up. Probably some other clips I need to replace. I am having little luck looking on a VW parts website. Some VW dealer websites have little parts pictured. Others have some more but I am striking out.
  3. R

Low mileage 2003 Jetta wagon. What do I need?

I bought my Jetta after Christmas 2002. 60+ oil changes, 6 timing belts, a few suspension refreshes, lots of tires. new injector bodies in the past year, injection pump replaced 200,000 miles ago, new alternator 250,000 miles ago (due for brushes and bearings). 610,000 miles on it without a head...
  4. R

Foreign orange plastic in coolant reservoir

I found this in my coolant reservoir today. No idea where the orange plastic came from. There is one piece that has a taper to it. Any ideas? http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=116500&title=plasticintank&cat=500
  5. R

Michelin Primacy replaced by what?

I have use Michelin Primacys the last 12 years. It appears that Michelin is not making new Primacy tires in the stock 195/65/15 size according to the Michelin web site. Some tire store web sites seem to believe they can still special order them. I do not race my car and do not hit the turns all...
  6. R

OTR mileage and aero mods

I am pretty sure I have seen this guy's ideas posted here. My 2004 Cummins truck while not a brick, is close to it. It tends to get 18-20 mpg with a high of 23.4 on a 400 mile run 60 mph on I16. I16 is about as flat a highway as you could find, Macon to Savannah. I would like better mileage out...
  7. R

Question about temp. and timing deviation error

My car likes to turn on the check engine light when it is cold. It has happened at least two winters in a row. Cold defined as freezing or so. Logging on to VCDS I get this. 17656 - Start of Injection Timing Regulation P1248 - 35-10 - Control Deviation - Intermittent So what...
  8. R

Any opinion on GKN cv joints?

No inner right joints in stock or available at VW dealership. Well there may be remanufactured joints at 4 dealers across the US but none in VW warehouses. New axle is $400. New GKN inner right joint at Parts Geek for $91. In days of old Lobro was a good brand but no sign of them for newer VWs...
  9. R

Where there is smoke there is fire

My car has been making a funny noise occasionally when cold. I ordered a new idler pulley thinking maybe that was the noise. Last night the starter seemed to make an odd noise. Odd noise again this morning and leaving the parking deck in the afternoon. I was figuring on a starter grease session...
  10. R

Charging light came on, instrument panel flickers

I was heading to work and got distracted missing the fuel station to refuel. Charging light came on and intrument panel was flickering. Tach and speedo flickered on and off. I turned back for home to grab big butt truck but decided to change voltage regulator. Grabbed a new regulator out of the...
  11. R

Vag-com group 3 MAF requested number is fixed

I noticed the other day that my MAF requested number is pegged at 850. I did a log many months ago and it was also at 850. I look at some folks screen shots and they show much lower requested numbers. I assume that number is supposed to bump around depending on what I am doing, yes? Why is it...
  12. R

TTY and not TTY bolt replacement policy

I was replacing the rear axle bushings in my A4 today. The mounting plate bolts and the axle bolts by the bushings say replace but they are not torque to yield. They just say torque to 59 pound/feet. So if they are not tty, are they saying replace them for corrosion reasons? They all looked fine...
  13. R

Atlanta area alignment shop?

I went by Kauffman Tire Decatur and they said they could not do my alignment. The subframe needs to shift around and the rear seems to be out. I had just installed TT control arm bushings up front but left the front/front bushings on as they looked ok. I just did the rear axle bushings today. I...
  14. R

How far hands free at 60 mph?

So I was reading this thread where people say my car will not go straight. After numerous posts it was determined that their steering wheels were not installed properly for the alignment. They did not know that you check for pull by have neutral hands on the steering wheel, not hanging on for...
  15. R

What VW TDI work van did I see in Kansas?

I went to the Kansas City National Cyclocrss race last week. I saw a VW work van, new looking, smaller than a Sprinter. I do not see it on the US VW web site. It had Delaware tags and it was pulling a small Airstream. It was just past the finish line on the left side of the pavement. I should...
  16. R

Clutch kit 101?

I have used the deluxe timing belt kit which you can order. They come with a new water bump, new idler pulleys, new timing and serpentine belt, and new stretch bolts. I look at a number of vendors. Some have a new clutch kit that might consist of 6 bolts, a disk, a pressure plate, a flywheel...
  17. R

N75 vacuum testing question

I have my Mity Vac with a vinyl hose. I put my finger on the hose and pump to about 25" and it holds that vacuum. I attach it to the black port on the N75 and put my finger on the two white ports. It bleeds down pretty fast. Is the N75 supposed to hold a vacuum in this test? I would hope so as...
  18. R

Clean oil change, No I mean really clean

When I change the oil in my John Deere 870 (28 hp Yanmar) the oil comes out black. When I add fresh oil and a new filter I start up the engine for a few minutes and then let the oil level settle. The oil still looks new. I drive my 2003 up on ramps. I drain the oil by removing drain plug. I...
  19. R

Passat assembled where by who?

I was trying to discover who assembles the Passat where without much luck. I discovered that Skoda has a plant in India that makes a Passat, Skoda Octavia, and the Audi A4. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/447927.cms I did not know the Dasher and the Quantum in the US were also...
  20. R

114 pounds (weight) to refuel today

How many pounds does an A4 wagon hold? My fuel light was on for about 50+ miles. When I got home I put my 3 jerry cans on the scale. I emptied them and got the 114 pounds. I did not fill the tank totally up but I guess it was fairly full. Sorry for the inaccuracies but I only own 3 jerry cans...