Search results

1. J

Monsoon confusion......

When the radio is turned on, it will display "Monsoon".
  2. J

Changing the rear wiper wipe interval?

The editors of the Vortex had coverage of the 2002 cars a few weeks back and at the time they said one of the changes to the Golf was a revised gearing of the rear wiper such that it operates about half the speed as before. Which in my opinion would be perfect. Does anyone know definitively if...
  3. J

Personalized TDI plates

I was curious if folks had personalized plates. I'd love to hear some TDI specific suggestions. I don't have one but have a suggestion to start things off: ZOOTSOOT (my state has 8 characters)
  4. J

Weight arguement against Passat TDI doesn't make sense

Weight arguement against Passat TDI doesn\'t make sense Out of morbid curiosity on the eve of Labor day, I did a little digging using the new and used car data from Edmunds. In 1996 the old body style Passat could be ordered as either as a TDI or with a 2.0 gas engine. 1996 Passat TDI curb...
  5. J

Passat Wagon on Ebay

There's a Passat Wagon on Ebay with no reserve. The amazing thing is that this car has over 200,000 miles on it... and the price is already over $9000 with nearly a week left in the auction! Man, I wish our cars could only be as rare! I have nothing to do with the auction, I'm just surprised...
  6. J

Is there a magical date when the pumps switch back to non-winterized diesel?

Can you tell I can't wait until spring?
  7. J

Distortions in windshield

Out of curiousity, how many of you have noticed any distortions in the windshield? From what I've seen it appears as a subtle "crease" in the glass. One is in the center and two more are located on the passenger's side near the bottom. The "creases" run vertically. Although, very subtle and...
  8. J

Q for Valois: tuning box + chip

Howdy, Since you're obviously in the know regarding chips and tuning boxes, could you explain briefly the parameters each device controls? I'd like to understand (and I'm sure there are others too who would like to know) how it is possible to use both a chip and a tuning box simultaneously. I...
  9. J

Why can't we have these: Audi A3 TDi

Why can\'t we have these: Audi A3 TDi Audi maintains that they have no plans to bring this to North America http://www.vwvortex.com/news/index_a3_01.html I like the Golf, but this seems more like an evolution of the line than the typeIV platform. Can you imagine this with the 130hp TDi...
  10. J

A/C output - yay or nay?

Now that it's getting warmer in the states, I'm curious as to opinions on how well the A/C does in terms of keeping the cabin cool. (I still don't have a TDi yet. ) Thanks in advance. JnC
  11. J

Dodge Power Wagon Concept

Ryan, You really need to stop visiting those Chrysler webpages. Try this instead. http://www.vw.com/aac/
  12. J

Clutch and shifter vibration

I've driven a couple of TDi's on test drives and noticed quite a bit of vibration coming thru the clutch pedal when fully depresssed as well as the shifter. While I'm aware that this may be a normal fact of life for a diesel, is there any way of addressing the vibration? (Other than an automatic...
  13. J

2001 changes?

I was curious if folks knew of any definitive changes for the 2001 model year. My interest is with the Golf TDi, but other model info is good too. I've heard the Golfs will be coming from Brazil in 2001, but I was more interested in any changes in std equipment. Thanx! ------------------ 99...
  14. J

EPA order big changes in diesel

Drat. I hate for this to be my first post. "By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press Writer WASHINGTON (AP)- The Environmental Protection Agency will require large trucks and tractor-trailer rigs to cut pollution by more than 90 percent as well as require cleaner diesel fuel under new regulations...