Search results

1. USMCFieldMP

Installing Dieselgeeks fix on MK6 Jetta.

Super easy install. Do it yourself. You can't learn if you never start. You only need a T30 Torx screwdriver or socket for this one. Charles (HumbleMechanic) talks about it in this video and shows how it goes on, etc. There are like 4 or 5 videos on the DieselGeek site where you order it...
  2. USMCFieldMP

What is venting and why does my car not get the mileage i see others achieving?

Hogshead, slug, blob, pound (mass) - not to be confused with pound (force)... there's 3 of these in one of those... 12 of this in one of that... and 4.5 of that in one of them. All reasons that I grew to hate the US/Imperial system while going through engineering school. ?
  3. USMCFieldMP

I'm betting those JNC wheels are quite heavy; keep in mind that if you get wheels that are actually heavier than stock... you're going to lose MPG... and the car will be slower, handle worse, brake worse, etc. A proper set of lightweight wheels will actually help your MPG. My go-to has been the...
  4. USMCFieldMP

https://www.google.com/search?q=mk4+tdi+tank+ventectomy+site%3Aforums.tdiclub.com
  5. USMCFieldMP

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

I think what IBW is saying is that in general, hatches don't sell well in the US. I think that has changed a bit in recent years (note the shift in 2015 from Jetta to Golf), but it has generally been true. US Jetta sales by year: 2005 104,063 2006 103,331 2007 98,951 2008 97,461 2009 108,427...
  6. USMCFieldMP

Toyo Proxes R88R Tires thoughts

When I had my MK4 GTI, I had it on 17x8 RPF1's. Just a classic look and only 15.5 lbs. If you don't order them direct from Tire Rack, I'm sure you can get a better offset so the spokes are flush. I had 17x8 RPF1's on my TDI, as well. But they've since moved to a new home: I've got Star...
  7. USMCFieldMP

From what I've seen others say, used race slicks are generally a good idea when you're doing a handful of track days a year or so. Nice and cheap, and they're already broken in!
  8. USMCFieldMP

It really depends on how hard you push the car on the track and how much you torture your tires. Also, do you have the capability for dedicated track tires? If so, maybe consider the Toyo RR. The Toyo R888R should do better on the track if you are pushing the car hard and finding the limits of...
  9. USMCFieldMP

turbo upgrade for DD?

The effects of turbo lag are much more exaggerated on a smaller engine, so the car will still lag. Even my tune-only 2014 TDI didn't really come alive until 1600-1700 RPM or so, iirc. You're not going to eliminate lag. The best you can do is cut it down to a lower RPM and maybe make it a less...
  10. USMCFieldMP

turbo upgrade for DD?

It's not "too big" in the sense that you're losing / not gaining power from it; it's too big for a DD that desires more low-end. While the turbine side doesn't necessarily pressurize, it does rely on some amount of back-pressure for a healthy/early spool. I've run an 18" long dump tube straight...
  11. USMCFieldMP

How do you remove panoramic sunroof sunshade repair?

I had a similar thought. I've been meaning to pull my sunroof out and pull the shade so that I can take it apart and see if it can be fixed or improved easily, but I've been working on setting up my MK2 for a track day, so everything else has been on the back burner.
  12. USMCFieldMP

turbo upgrade for DD?

Honestly, you can probably just change your current setup around and help out with the lag a decent amount without losing too much power. Two things stand out to me: That car doesn't need a 3" exhaust - not even close. Drop that to 2.5", maybe even 2.25". This will help a good deal with spool...
  13. USMCFieldMP

Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate

As an FYI to all, Cooper Tires is the second largest American owned and operated tire manufacturer, behind Goodyear. The majority of their tires are handmade in Findlay, OH; Texarkana, AR; or Tupelo, MS. I used to work at the Texarkana plant and have a lot of friends and family that works there...
  14. USMCFieldMP

Advice on stiffening body roll in corners

Swap in some GLI springs with GLI dampers (I'd personally skip to some Bilstein B6 shocks. Stick with the B6's, not the B8's. They appear the same and have the same valving, but the B8's are meant for lowered cars, while the B6's are longer and intended for stock height cars). From there, you...
  15. USMCFieldMP

Advice on stiffening body roll in corners

What dampers and springs are you on? Stock stuff is terrible. Swapping to something GTI/GLI related would probably be a good start if you wanted to stick with something OEM. I ran corner balanced Koni coilovers on my '14 Jetta. They helped a ton, but not as much as I had wanted. Doing it over...
  16. USMCFieldMP

Grinding Sounds From Rear

Absolutely not. PB Blaster and WD-40 aren't really meant for lubricating parts in any sort of meaningful long term way. Permatex makes a variety of brake parts lubricants that you can get at Auto Zone/Advance/NAPA/Amazon...
  17. USMCFieldMP

New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

If you only want it to enable hidden features, OBDEleven is a good bit cheaper and I'd say it's probably a bit more user friendly. VCDS has better logging and diagnostic abilities (allegedly, I have VCDS, haven't used OBD11). And there's, imo, a little bit of a debate on whether or not holding...
  18. USMCFieldMP

Grinding Sounds From Rear

If your caliper/ebrake was stuck, it would generate a lot of heat and the rotor and associated rust will typically turn more of a bright red color, instead of the typical brownish rust color. I had the ebrake cable literally freeze in the winter on my MK2; this was the result of taking it for a...
  19. USMCFieldMP

KermaTDI stage 3

And once you're at that point, you have to start thinking about a CP3 (also not cheap), clutch, intercooler, etc. The head also starts being a serious restriction in the mid-200's, iirc. I went through a lot of this with Malone when they introduced their turbo manifold at the start of this year...
  20. USMCFieldMP

KermaTDI stage 3

I looked at doing the KS3 or CR170 turbo for a while. The biggest reason that I never did is because the gains over just getting a tune seemed fairly minimal for the cost. IMO, keep the stock turbo, put a tune on it, and be happy. Going much further starts to cost significantly more, and to me...