Search results

1. W

odo 300,000 mi; MPG dropping

Relative Bill in Manhattan, Kansas, has successfully logged almost 300,000 miles on his (formerly my wife's) 2000 Jetta. He is concerned now that his fuel mileage has dropped from 52 MPG to ~42. Bill's service tech, who has done a good job thus far, has no immediate suggestions. Any thoughts...
  2. W

Tail lamp/lens (irritation)

I can't be the only guy who thinks it's crazy to have to pull the back seat out, then remove the entire trunk liner to replace a tail lamp bulb. No wonder the dealer charged my bro-in-law over $60 to replace a burned-out bulb in his 2000 Jetta! These things happen when you hit the 200,000 mile...
  3. W

Sc... bumper cover recond shop?

Some comedian with a tow ball protruding from the back of his pickup just crunched my front bumper cover. I know there are reconditioning services that will handle this [I can do the repaint].... looking for a name/recomm in the Carolinas or Georgia area. Thanx!
  4. W

FS: Alloy wheels+tires for A3 etc

For sale: set of four 'pie plate' alloy wheels from E30 series BMW. This is a four bolt pattern and tires are 14 inch; only a few hundred miles on tires (mounted and balanced); they run true and smooth. I have seen wheels like this in use on a number of VW Diesels including the A3 Jetta and the...
  5. W

Powder coating.... any experience?

Has anyone had mag wheels (or similar parts) powder coated ??? I was talking to a powder coating place in Delaware yesterday, where they say they like to do jobs for old-car guys... bottom line, $75 to strip a mag wheel, $125 to powder coat each. Does this sound low... high??? Any thoughts...
  6. W

Bumper cover A4 Kent Narrows

On busy 50+301 westbound over the Kent Narrows bridge [Maryland eastern shore] this morning at ~09:00a, I stopped and picked up a front bumper cover that appears to have been lost from an A4 Jetta. License plate is still attached. I'll hold this for 2 weeks. If you are the owner, please pmail...
  7. W

Controllers for Dummies... book review

I'm interested in learning more about how our TDI electronic systems work... in addition to buying a laptop and VAGcom soon. Can anyone recommend a book on the subject? Controllers for Dummies would be the title that first comes to mind, but a search turns up Automotive Control Systems, Ed...
  8. W

Any BMW forum info..??

I've had great luck with the TDIclub forum... friendly, helpful, relevant!! Since it's a weekend, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with BMW?? Particularly in the area of technical assistance and info sharing for the person who likes to work on his own car?? Thanx in advance.
  9. W

Kentucky service picture?

My wife's niece Jennifer, who lives in Underwood, Indiana [~25 miles north of Louisville, Kentucky, and 600 miles from me] is "bound and determined" to buy a Jetta diesel. For budget reasons Jenn's TDI will probably be a used one, maybe a 2001±. Can anyone advise about dealer experiences, or...
  10. W

Louisville (Southern Indiana) refs

My wife's niece Jennifer, who lives in Underwood, Indiana [~25 miles north of Louisville, Kentucky, and 600 miles from me] is "bound and determined" to buy a Jetta diesel. For budget reasons Jenn's TDI will probably be a used one, maybe a 2001±. Can anyone advise about dealer experiences, or...
  11. W

South Carolina -to- Maryland

Returning from S.C. to Maryland with an empty 2-axle trailer behind new (non VW) diesel pickup... could easily haul a Volksie to the Baltimore/Washington area, very reasonable price. Schedule looks like early Nov. Any interest... any questions?
  12. W

New 5 cylinder gasser -vs- TDI

My wife's niece Jennifer is thinking about buying a new 2006 Beetle, which has been upgraded (?) to include the new 5 cylinder gasser now standard in the Jetta. I haven't been able to find much about this engine (relative to the wealth of info here at TDIclub). Naturally I think Jennifer...
  13. W

Need TDI advice in Greenville/Spartanburg, S.C.

My wife's youngest niece is 'bound and determined' to buy a new Jetta diesel when she relocates to the Greenville - Spartanburg area, in connection with a transfer in her job of selling prescription drugs for animals. She will be calling on veterinarians in several southeastern states, racking...
  14. W

Tire machine in Hagerstown, MD

Since it's Friday.... got a call the other day from car hobbyist Ron Long in Hagerstown, Maryland, who is selling a Coates three-star tire machine. He said he would include it soon in a garage sale at his house. Now I own an ancient Bishman, which works great for my needs, maybe 4 or 8 tires...
  15. W

Busted '99 Bug in Baltimore

Busted \'99 Bug in Baltimore Today's SUNpaper is carrying a classified ad for a 1999 Beetle, diesel engine damaged, 5 speed... $3,000 tel# 410 879 4431. I may be able to offer some friendly help, but call the seller first. Might be a nice opportunity for the right TDIclub member mccomas...
  16. W

Looking for Detroit-areaTDIclub member

HAPPY NEW YEAR y'all! I'm thinking about buying a tow bar from an eBay seller in the Detroit area (Ferndale).... wondering if a fellow TDIclub member would be willing to pick it up and hold it for me until I can make shipping arrangements or pick it up. I live ~75 miles from the nearest...
  17. W

Towing OF Jetta, not BY Jetta

Hey friends, I've done some searching... found lots of good advice on towing OF auto vs. manual cars. What I need is some thinking on how to rig a manual-trans A4 Jetta to be towed conveniently (as behind a motorhome). AYMK there is a retrieval loop/link that screws (lefthand) into a port on...
  18. W

Retrieval parts, A4 Jetta front... WTB

Anyone parting-out a Jetta... have you got a retrieval port [it has left hand female thread] and the retrieval loop/eye that goes with it? The port is on the passenger side, on the bottom of the frame rail. Easy to see when the bumper cover is removed. In normal use, you pull the little...
  19. W

2000 Jetta TDI 5-sp green

In another vehicle, I got caught (almost) in the tornado touch-down 7/12 at Smyrna, Delaware..... Bottom line, gotta take care of related problems and cannot get to my TDI... again. This may be the last straw? Thinking about selling the TDI as-is, 75,000 miles on the odo, partially...
  20. W

Need fair price info: Alloy wheels??

My friend Don has offered me four alloy wheels that he took off his 1999½ Golf TDI a coupla years ago when he replaced them with aftermarket items. The (old) wheels have 5 broad flat spokes, castings say CANADA on rear side. Right now the wheels are grungy with brake dust and cobwebs, but...