Search results

1. W

Paint Pen from auto salvage yard - how to remove?

PB Blaster is a great suggestion! For drippings/blobs on finished surface, I saturated a couple of thicknesses of paper towel, applied moderate pressure, allowed 15 minutes on a warm summer day. Bingo... excellent result; no scotchbrite, no scratches. Thanks!!
  2. W

odo 300,000 mi; MPG dropping

THANKS to everyone above! These are helpful suggestions.... glenn
  3. W

Kansas Chat Thread

Kansas VCDS interest Hello Kansans... a former South Carolinian now living in Kansas is getting very interested in VCDS for his 2000 Jetta. I've put him onto the Ross-tech site, as well as TDIclub. Just wondering if there might be a VCDS-knowledgeable person he might visit with in/around the...
  4. W

Learn from my mistakes please!!! Read with a full stomach

Hate to read about your grief, man.... as you say, it was not un-affordable, if that is any consolation. Skirting bankruptcy sucks, AMHIK.
  5. W

odo 300,000 mi; MPG dropping

Relative Bill in Manhattan, Kansas, has successfully logged almost 300,000 miles on his (formerly my wife's) 2000 Jetta. He is concerned now that his fuel mileage has dropped from 52 MPG to ~42. Bill's service tech, who has done a good job thus far, has no immediate suggestions. Any thoughts...
  6. W

Volkswagen Bulli Concept

Design equity? My wife tells me that's the buzz-word among the 'creative' folks when they talk about capturing design elements from the past, and then capitalizing on them in a new-ish product. We both agree there's not much design equity in the pics posted at the beginning of this thread :(...
  7. W

VW parts business man in N.C. (Prothe)

Good list... you might add Rock Auto since I've had very good luck with them on American iron plus BMW plus Saab: www. rockauto .com
  8. Bulli sidecar

Bulli sidecar

Motorbike sidecar patterned after VW Type 2, pre-1968
  9. W

Tail lamp/lens (irritation)

A big T H A N K Y O U to both PDJetta and Compu85!! I took a strong light and took a good look. Yep, the trap door was there; bulb replacement took only a few minutes once I released the electrical connector. The last time (a few years ago) I was suffering from insufficient illumination, in...
  10. W

Thanks.... will double-check, but bro-in-law's Bentley says the trunk liner must be removed.
  11. W

2001 Tail Lights Out - Not fuse, Not Bulbs

Prob'ly a dumb question, but how are you sure the bulbs are OK? Is it possible one bulb burned out, then the second went... and then the fuzz took notice....?? Did you remove and test both bulbs? If so, did you pull the entire [Jetta] trunk liner to gain access to the tail lamp assembly... I...
  12. W

I can't be the only guy who thinks it's crazy to have to pull the back seat out, then remove the entire trunk liner to replace a tail lamp bulb. No wonder the dealer charged my bro-in-law over $60 to replace a burned-out bulb in his 2000 Jetta! These things happen when you hit the 200,000 mile...
  13. W

Picking up new/first TDI on Monday 11-2-09!

VW of America (now in Reston, maybe with new name) was never good about keeping owners posted on potential/real problems, like tappet clearances and fuel pump relay failures. This forum is just great, since you can get a heads-up and save potential headaches. Good luck, and be sure to stay...
  14. W

my silver arrow

Great looking wheels.... where did you find them? I'll bet you know Oliver (in Hamilton area) from the 'trusted' list. He saved my posterior a couple of years ago.
  15. W

My New 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan

You wrote, "....a fact which doesn't inspire confidence in their concerns about me as a repeat customer." Hello, VW hq in Reston, Va.... ARE YOU LISTENING? I got burned by VW's failure to keep original owners informed, first in 1964 with tappet clearances, then in 2003 with fuel pump relay...
  16. W

What is this and how do I fix it?

Plenty peculiar....... I have seen the result of rats/mice eating wiring harnesses, but this would be a first for fuel lines :-((
  17. W

Puddle in passenger side floor

Jack up the car; remove the wheel; pull the wheel well liner... you will be amazed/disgusted at the amount of mud and general crap behind the liner after a few years. I found this accumulation was the cause of plugged drains in three of my family's cars.
  18. W

Sc... bumper cover recond shop?

Some comedian with a tow ball protruding from the back of his pickup just crunched my front bumper cover. I know there are reconditioning services that will handle this [I can do the repaint].... looking for a name/recomm in the Carolinas or Georgia area. Thanx!
  19. W

Huntsville (Madison) mechanic?

Have you searched the TDI forums? Look for the list of trusted techs by state... you may be able to find a recomm there. Search 'trusted by state' for a start.
  20. W

early timing belt failure

I can't speak for Canadian law, but under US law you will not be liable for slander if you speak simple truth, such as, "I have installed _n_ belts from Supplier-name______ and two have failed within time_____." For the benefit of others on this list, please check with a Canadian attorney and...