Search results

1. 3

Beginnings of a blown head gasket?

2006 BRM, 429k miles. All maintenance done at schedule. At 340k, replaced TB and camshaft / lifters. I mistakenly loosened four head bolts instead of cam bolts. Left engine undisturbed (no crank rotation), and replaced the four loosened head bolts, torquing one at a time and in stages per the...
  2. 3

Aftermarket Gauges

I have a Mk5 Jetta that's upgraded with a 3D color cluster w/ blue needles / white backlighting, so I'm asking here rather than the Mk5 forum. What options are there for aftermarket gauges that match the blue needle / white display of the Mk6 Golf R cluster? The only one I can find is the New...
  3. 3

FS: BRM EGR Cooler Bypass & EGR Blockoff Plates- West Texas

I've got a set of extra parts that together make up a EGR cooler bypass and blockoff plates for a BRM. I pulled the turbocharger blockoff plate off my OEM BV39 turbo when I replaced it. It's the steel version, used but not really a wear item. No warp or leaks. Everything else is new: EGR valve...
  4. 3

Fuel Hose Alternatives

The two sets of fuel lines leading to/from my BRM's fuel filter are needing replacement and the OEM parts are pretty pricey for short lengths of fuel hose. Are there OEM supplier alternatives? Google isn't yielding much.
  5. 3

ALH no-start after IP reseal

Evening y'all, My VW expertise is in the Mk5 and now I have a friend with a 1999 ALH Jetta that's having a no-start after he re-sealed the IP. Vehicle background: 1999, ALH, manual trans, 220k miles Unknown previous history, car was parked after a botched timing belt job Timing belt replaced...
  6. 3

Alignment after Complete Suspension Refresh- Dealer or Firestone?

So I'm about to kick off a complete suspension refresh and I'm asking for advice on where to take for the alignment afterwards? Besides the shocks and struts, I'm replacing- Front- LCA bushings Ball joints Tie Rod inners and outers Dropping subframe and installing a collar kit w/ new one time...
  7. 3

WTB BRM Catalyst to Block Bracket

I'm looking for the bracket that bolts to the back of the BRM engine block and supports the catalyst. Anybody have one laying around?
  8. 3

BRM Garrett PD140 Turbo Options

@relumalutan I didn't want to hijack that thread so I started a new one here You have this turbo? https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/1-9-tdi-8v-pd105-bls-brm-2-0-tdi-pd140-bmm-gtb1749v-200bhp-220bhp-240bhp-turbo-upgrade.html Is that the same as the one Cascade German sells...
  9. 3

Rear Bushings To Replace w/ Shocks & Struts

I've got a suspension overhaul planned, along with that I'm replacing the front LCA bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. What bushings wear out in the rears? I don't find a lot of information on the rear bushings.
  10. 3

Koni Special Active Struts w/ Tiguan Rear Springs

Wanting some opinions on this combo...I drive with some "junk in the trunk" from time to time and I tow. I've got my eye on the Koni Special Active struts / shocks, but I'm looking to stiffen the rear of the vehicle a bit. Would there be any weird interactions between the stiffer Tiguan springs...
  11. 3

WTB: Bosal Euro Hitch for Mk4 Jetta

I've got a friend new to the TDI world looking to buy a Bosal hitch for his Mk4 Jetta. They're NLA new. Anybody have one they'd part with? Willing to pick up anywhere in Texas, would have to arrange shipping from elsewhere. Thanks!
  12. 3

PD140 Oil Feed Line Question

Question for those that have installed a PD140 turbo in place of stock. What does the rubber end of the new oil feed line connect to? I've seen the VW hard line and the braided steel alternative, both of them have the turbo fitting on one end but the other end is a length of rubber hose. Do...
  13. 3

Dumb Question....Cluster TPMS Warning Behavior?

Morning! I have a Mk5 Jetta that I upgraded with a Mk6 color 3D highline cluster. I have direct TPMS with wheel sensors installed. Question. When a tire goes low, what warning do you get? With my old Mk5 highline cluster the TPMS amber light came on along with a warning message in the MFD...
  14. 3

Looking for a working BRM cat & downpipe!

Mine's burned out and I can't stand the drone and diesel smell. New ones aren't available, anybody have a working complete cat, flex, and downpipe laying around they'd part with? I can pick up from anywhere in Texas.
  15. 3

WTB: BRM OE Working Catalyst

I'm looking for a functioning (not cored out) catalyst and pipe for a BRM. Mine's gone bad and they're NLA. Willing to pick up anywhere in Texas, can arrange shipping elsewhere. Thanks!
  16. 3

Burned-out catalytic converter = turbo issues?

2006 BRM with 398,xxx miles. Original cat & turbo Malone Stage 1.5 Tune Over the past few weeks I've noticed more "diesel-y" exhaust fumes than normal. Also, over the last few days I noticed my exhaust is louder at the tailpipe. Today, I noticed some boost creep and spikes at mid-throttle that...
  17. 3

Advice- replacing a year old coolant flange

2006 BRM. Looking for some forum advice here. I'm going to be replacing the o-rings on the coolant hard pipe and I'm reading that it's best for the coolant flange on the right side to come off. The coolant flange there now is almost two years old and 60k miles. Couple questions: Should I plan...
  18. 3

Worn out A/C Compressor?

2006 BRM w/ 370k. Driven in West Texas so A/C use pretty much continuous from March-October. Recently I've noticed the A/C performing getting weak at idle, the air from the vents becomes noticably warm and humid. The fans are running and the car does not overheat. I evacuated and recharged the...
  19. 3

Sunroof Drain Question

Quick question, is there enough "bend" in the headliner to pull down the front and get access to the front drain connections? I (stupidly) did not fully seal the front sunroof drains where they connect to the sunroof and they now dump water in the interior. If I can gain enough access by...
  20. 3

Mk5 Rally Bar

Anybody seen one of these?