Search results

1. K

Dynaudio amp swap for VW amp (POS)

I stumbled on this thread as I was doing research for a possible car purchase. Just an FYI for those people trolling the junk yards for speakers: Many Volvos, particularly the '98 to '04 C70s, are factory fitted with Dynaudio speakers. In the case of the C70, look for the cars that have a...
  2. K

Beetle Center Console Help

ECS Tuning sells this conversion in kit form, so yes, it should fit an '00 Beetle.
  3. K

Love 09 TDI, hate the stereo

Can you give a little more detail? Such as, part numbers of the amplifier and any harness you used; where you mounted the amplifier; etc...?
  4. K

E-Codes by ECStyling?

I just bought a pair of European New Beetle headlights, and can tell you that they are not plug and play for my wife's '03 NB GLX. Her car uses a 3-prong plug from the factory and the E-codes require an 8-prong plug. I seem to recall that the Turbo S model used the 8 prong plug; at least I...
  5. K

looking for honesty here

Total honesty: The wheels look good, but too big for my taste. The center caps need to have VW logos. I don't like the tinted taillights. Overall though, I think the car looks really good.
  6. K

control arm bushings for a3?

According to this vendor, the TT control arm bushings will fit. http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=8N0407181 Great upgrade for A4, A3, A2 Cars. Solid and Harder rubber. Sold/Priced Each. Order Qty2 for the pair. Part Number: 8N0407181Category: SuspensionPrice...
  7. K

NB Auto-Dimming Mirror

My wife's '03 NB GLX has the auto-dimming mirror. It does not have the hands-free mic as part of it, and I've never seen one that does. Got a pic?
  8. K

rear fogs: one or two?

When I enabled them in my 2000 Jetta, I wired up both sides and used them that way for a while. One day I had a brake light bulb burn out, so I removed the bulb from the passenger side rear fog light and used it to replace the burned out bulb (they're the same wattage). I never went back and...
  9. K

A thought about VW Keys and the immobilizer

I do. My Beetle didn't come with a valet key, anyone have an idea of what that key costs? I'm thinking that since I haven't needed it in 2 years, it's probably not worth the expense to me. But, it's probably good to know what it would cost.
  10. K

What bulbs to put in new E-Codes for MK IV Jetta?

My Jetta e-codes (when I had a Jetta) came with Hella H4 bulbs for high/low and Hella H3 bulbs for the fog lights. They were better than the DOT lights, but I was still disappointed with the performance. When I swapped in Philips Vision Plus H4s and Osram All Season H3s (amber bulbs) I became...
  11. K

A thought about VW Keys and the immobilizer

I have to ask: how does one kill a key for these cars? :( I dropped the key for my 2000 Jetta more times than I could count and it never gave me a problem. :o I screwed up, left the key to my 2003 New Beetle in my pants pocket and ran them through the washer and dryer three times :eek...
  12. K

Upgrade your 02-03 leather seat heater switch

Is this strictly for Golf/Jetta, or is the New Beetle affected as well? The heated seats on my 2000 Jetta were perfect, but the heated seats on my wife's 2003 New Beetle (11/02 build, I think) are barely even noticeable.
  13. K

Tires: Continental Touring CH95

My '00 Jetta came with GY RS-As. IMO, a lousy tire that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. They were loud, didn't wear very well and felt "slippery." When the car was totalled, it had Conti CH-95s on it. They were quiet and rode well, but I was able to find their limits of grip. For the price...
  14. K

iPod solutions?

In my wife's '03 New Beetle with Monsoon, I hardwired her iPod using some instructions I found online. Basically, I took a Belkin car kit and cut off the cigarette lighter plug (and the amplifier). Then, I soldered on a pair of male RCA connectors and some connectors for power and ground. I...
  15. K

Rear parking distance sensor

I used to think a rear PDC would be a waste of time. Last week I was backing my MINI Cooper (which is much smaller than a Golf/Jetta/Beetle) out of the driveway and nearly ran over my neighbor's Jack Russell terrier who had gotten out of the fenced back yard. I checked all 3 mirrors and looked...
  16. K

OEM Contis to Michelin Pilot XGT H4s

XGT H4s are the only Michelin that ever gave me any problems. My '00 Jetta VR6 wore them out in 20k miles. The first 10k were great, then it went downhill from there. They got loud, began to tramline a lot and eventually two of them blew out (different times). I replaced them with...
  17. K

New lighting ideas....in wierd places

A few years ago the VW of Japan website showed cornering lights as an accessory for Jettas. You might try searching there to see if they still have them.
  18. K

Satallite Radio without FM Modulation

When I hooked up the Sirius radio in my wife's New Beetle to the Blitzsafe adapter, the sound was far too boomy for my taste. I had the dealer code the system for having a CD changer (Ross-Tech's website has the codes) and the boominess went away.
  19. K

Beetle E-Codes with Leveling Motors?

If you search on newbeetle.org, you'll find it has been discussed there. Short version: there's only been one vendor who claims to sell NB E-codes, and that is PG Performance in Canada. They're not cheap. I have found that my wife's '03 Beetle appears to have the mounting points for the...
  20. K

XM Radio install screw-up!!!

That must depend on what adapter you use. In my wife's New Beetle with Monsoon, I use a Blitzsafe adapter that plugs into the back of the radio in place of the CD changer harness. The car does not have, nor has it ever had, a CD changer. To listen, push the CD button on the front of the radio...