Search results

1. U

Cold engine warmup and fuel use

Winter is almost over, so this information is a bit late... whitedog started a thread recently (in TDI 101, and it may have been his French speaking alter ego who actually did the posting...) regarding the quickest way to warm up the cabin. I generated this information a few months back and...
  2. U

Graphs of theoretical mileage

Say drag is modeled by R m g+ 0.5 Cd A rho V^2, where R is the rolling resistance, m is the vehicle mass, g the gravitational constant, Cd the coefficient of drag, A the frontal area, rho the air density, and V the velocity. Then the power requirement is V*drag. Here’s a graph of what that...
  3. U

Air conditioner problem resolved

For more than a month, my Jetta's air conditioner has intermittently failed to engage, especially after the car has reached operating temperature. I traced the problem to the engine coolant temperature sender, which was reading high. I'm posting because although Bentley shows A/C operation...
  4. U

Fuel consumption model

Remember this chart? I dug up the original article and recast the data to show the relationship between brake power, rpm, and fuel rate. Here’s the new chart with the model based on weighted least squares fit. I think this is as polished as this turds gonna get. Noteworthy is the linearity...