Search results

1. M

Ground Clearance or lack of

That really depends on the owner and where they live. The wife's TDI has had an original Rich Aaron 2" lift kit, from before metalnerd started making them, and still a periodic examination of the steel skid plate shows a continuing need for it.
  2. M

Glow plugs 101 ***Ver. 2.0***

In doing the glow plug change, pieces off the bottom of the harness coating were brittle and chipped off. I cleaned them out of the recesses in the head before pulling the glow plugs out. Well, evidently I missed one, and a piece of the plastic about 1mm x 1.5mm dropped into the hole. It was...
  3. Brittle ALH Harness

Brittle ALH Harness

4. M

NB mirror wanted

Am looking for the driver's side door power mirror for a 1999 NB. Mine is black, but any color is okay. Thanks, Mark
  5. M

Side exhaust...thoughts?

I haven't seen it mentioned here - maybe I missed it, but in some states the law requires the exhaust to actually exit fro under the vehicle, not just dump out underneath it. might be worth checking for when inspection time rolls around.
  6. M

Mahindra Truck will be here 4th Quarter

It was a great engine - ultra reliable and used from pickups through medium duty commercial trucks. Unfortunately, it wasn't as powerful as some might have liked. Personally, I love my 2000 PowerStroke.
  7. M

Mystery no-go. it's puzzling...

Problem identified. There is an air leak in the fuel system, but it is very slow. I Mity-Vac'd fuel through the whole system, cracked the injector lines again and it roared into life. Seems to take about a week for it to bleed enough air to cause a no-start problem. First step will be to...
  8. M

Tdi Ranger

That's got Aaron written all over it...
  9. M

Exhaust mufflerectomy problems.

I can tell you that Texas state law addresses muffler removal. It states that for diesel vehicles, a turbocharger is considered to be a muffler. Doing so on a gasser is illegal, turbo or not.
  10. M

CAI recommendation

Okay, I'll bite - why would you install a dump valve on a TDI.
  11. M

Mahindra Truck will be here 4th Quarter

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony of manufacturing a truck in the Hindu country of India and offering leather seats? (Edited: brain thought Hindu but fingers typed Buddhist.)
  12. M

sudden no start, will turn over but no fire

I am having similar issue - will watch this thread with interest.
  13. M

AC Switch Stuck

My switch failed a few months ago. The part IIRC was well over $100, but I found a thread on NewBeetle.org that shows you how to repair the fan switch with just a bit of mechanical skill and a dab of JB Weld. Here's a ink to that thread - it shows a New Beetle installation but the switch...
  14. M

Glow plug light functions correctly. There is no white puffs from the exhaust - perhaps it is not fueling. While it was cranking I I cracked the injector lines and got fuel at each one, so I don't know why it isn't getting in the engine. More puzzling is that it was running fine when I shut it...
  15. M

True - I didn't think to look... I'll do it first thing in the AM. Thanks, OH!
  16. M

Out with the new & in with the old

Summer before last we spent in Alaska, 175 - 300 miles NW of you, in Homer, Soldotna, Seward and Valdez. Can't wait to go back! Call me when you get back, or drop me PM... Mark
  17. M

Okay all, I need your collective brain power. First the car: 1999 New Beetle TDI 5-speed, 232,000 miles, regular maintenance, no drive train issues. Car has been running fine to this point. Wife parks the car, as it had a failed fan switch for the A/C. In the next few days, I R&R the fan...
  18. M

Mystery no-start - wife 'displeased'...

Got voltage there, and it's clicking.
  19. M

Mystery no-start - wife 'displeased'...

Hi all, haven't been on in a long time. Well, I need some help, folks. 1999 NB TDI, 230,000 miles. Engine completely stock, only non-OEM item is the 3 year old Sony radio. Temps in mid-50s. Straight dino fuel. TB new 35K miles ago. Running fine previous to this. Last week, wife driving...
  20. PUX n Crossbones

PUX n Crossbones