Search results

1. S

Thoughts on buying used Touareg TDI

For people looking at a Touareg TDI, my experience with a 2016 is mixed. I am now at 102,000 miles. The car has never left me stranded. It used to start after sitting all day at -45 deg F. This past winter, it started after sitting at the Fairbanks airport for a week where the high...
  2. S

D1 or kerosene in metro Detroit?

I agree that kerosene should be reasonably easy to find. I'll pass along Chelsea if she can't find it elsewhere. Thank you
  3. S

D1 or kerosene in metro Detroit?

My niece had an apparent fuel-gel issue on her 99 NB a week ago. She managed to get the car running with some PS 911. I recommended adding a standard does of regular Power Service for a few weeks, but it appears to have gelled up again nevertheless. I'm not in metro Detroit, but I am trying...
  4. S

Jetta Wagon Roof Rack Gaskets NLA

Would anyone see an issue with using either of the following in lieu of these foam gaskets? 1.) An o-ring. I have some that are 1.5mm (or 3.0mm) thick that I could tack in place with spray adhesive 2.) RTV silicone sealer or body seam sealer? Also, I found it curious that the only two holes in...
  5. S

Headliner longevity

I appreciate all the input. I think I'll put it back in an hope for the best. I have some fear that I may harm it by trying to clean it up, but I'll report back if that happens. I put a few notes in my shop manual to make it go faster next time. FWIW, given differing thoughts on failure...
  6. S

Headliner longevity

How many of you have an original headliner with no failures? I'm asking because my sister has a 99 NB TDI that has had a sagging headliner for years and it seems to be a common problem on all MKIV Volkswagens (based on forum posts). Here's my situation. I am repainting my 2004 Jetta with my...
  7. Tomski's photos

Tomski's photos

Miscellaneous TDI shots
  8. S

Should I buy the Touareg?

My Touareg has had issues with the adaptive cruise/lane assist and with the TPMS. I think I know what this issue is with the latter, but I would avoid models with the adaptive cruise if possible; I am not the only one to have issues with it. The rest of the car is really nice. No brake...
  9. S

CV Joint Leak from new axle

I'll try that. I have the tool made for these clamps, so I'll just snug it up and run to failure. Thanks for the input
  10. S

CV Joint Leak from new axle

Last year, my wife was helping replace an outer right CV joint boot. I neglected to tell her to keep track of the balls and the cage orientation. Ultimately, the CV joint started clicking, so I decided to replace the entire axle and be done with it. I purchased a new Lobro unit from a...
  11. S

How many Miles on your 3 litre engine?

There is a different forum out there that is Touareg-specific. One owner just reported out at 225,000 miles on a 2011 TDI. The transmission does not sound like it is in very good shape, but the engine appears to be doing well. Unfortunately, the only 3-pedal Touaregs were sold under the Porsche...
  12. S

My new 2016 Touareg Executive.

Here is an article that covers the impact of lower profile tires on fuel economy, acceleration, and cornering. It's on a different car, but the results should be similar. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested I switch from 19" wheels in the summer to...
  13. S

Considering getting back into a TDI

Our state is 65 mph maximum. 75 is that fastest that I will admit to. I hear it gets about 18 mpg at 115 mph, if you live near an autobahn.
  14. S

If a dogmobile, I highly recommend the Canvasback liner for the back seat. Works very well. The rear seats adjust fore/aft depending on how much cargo you have and how much you like your rear seat passengers. The Canvasback accommodates that adjustability nicely.
  15. S

Average mpg for me in the winter, running straight #1 Diesel, is about 24. My summer mileage is about 28. My driving habits are 95% highway, roughly 70 - 75 mph, with routine low mountain passes (3000 ft elevation). If I drop to 65 mph, the mileage is a little over 30 mpg. I cannot discern a...
  16. S

TPMS on the '16 Touareg

I've been running a set of winter tires with no TPMS sensors for the past three years. I am waiting for the tires to wear out, but it looks like I will have one more season on them. I have a set of used sensors waiting to go on once the original winter tires wear out. I personally have not...
  17. S

P0200 - Code but no symptoms

A family member drove the car 250 miles last week, and noted that the CEL came on 5 miles from its final destination. They did not have VCDS with them, so no scan, but were able to use a Scan Gauge to pull a P0200 code. Aside from the CEL, there were no other symptoms. Code was reset and the car...
  18. S

03 tdi with working good glow plugs and wont start in the cold

If I had a nickel for every time someone performed electrical work that later failed.....My glow plug harness came with unterminated wires on the other end that required a wire splice. If the splice was sloppy or not properly sealed from the elements, it may be causing a voltage drop. Also, you...
  19. S

AdBlue Fault - Engine will not start in 650 miles

John, I'm not sure what the NOx values have to do with your message that the AdBlue must be filled withing 650 miles. Let's start with the obvious: Did you fill the urea tank since this message came in? Next, did you reset the system? This involves inserting the key in the ignition, but not...
  20. S

ALH: Is the coolant ''MAX'' line the one about 3/4 inch above the ''MIN'' ??

I always have kept mine at the minimum mark after reading about people that have had coolant migration issues. I'm not saying overfilling causes migration, but it sounds plausible enough to me.