Search results

1. S

2000 Golf ALH - Denver/Boulder CO

Selling our '00 Golf TDI. It's been a great car for the last 16 years or so that we've owned it (we were the 2nd owners). It has roughly 310K miles on it, and still runs well. Here are the details, the good and bad: DETAILS 4 door Golf. Sun roof Manual 5sp Dark Metallic Blue outside Grey...
  2. S

Name that Engine Noise

Our '00 golf is still running strong at 310K miles, but recently a new noise has appeared, and I was hoping the folks here might give me some clues. The noise is a what I would call a "noisy diesel" noise, sort of what my 86 Ford IDI diesel used to make all the time. However on the VW it...
  3. S

Driver's window sticking

The driver's door window is having problems. It will go up and down just fine for the top 60% or so of travel. Below that it starts making groaning noises and eventually stops about 75% of the way down. Like it had hit an obstruction of some sort, or thinks that it has bottomed out. On the way...
  4. S

2000 ALH Code 17970

So my 00 golf (5sp) which had been running well (especially for its 300K + miles) suddenly started flashing the GP light and turning on a CEL. Only code in there was 17970 Quantity Adjuster (N146) Upper Limit Reached. It did not say intermittent, which I believe as the lights/code come back...
  5. S

00 Golf ALH, rough idle

I have an 00 ALH golf with a recent problem. It runs fine at higher rpms, but when the rpms drop (like when coming to a stop and the foot comes off the go pedal) it idles roughly. Sometimes so roughly that one thinks the engine would die, but it doesn't. Occasionally the idle smooths out and is...
  6. S

Bad needle lift sensor

Well, CEL is on and the GP light is flashing, as well as reduced power on my 00 Golf. Pulled the codes and there is a "17655 Lift Needle Sensor (G80) open or short to +" code. Cleaned up the area and checked the wiring to the #3 injector. All seems OK, no obvious broken wires or the like. And...
  7. S

Testing the N75 Valve

My 01 ALH Golf has been going into limp mode and generating code 17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation Intermittent. So I read up on this problem, and think it may be the N75 valve. Here's what I found: Turbo actuator/lever move when vacuum is applied via a Miti-Vac. Seems to move...
  8. S

IP Leak

My 01 Golf TDI has developed a noticeable fuel leak at the IP. The end where the injector lines come out of the pump is damp, but the real fuel seems to be collecting on the other side of the IP below where its gear is on the outside of the Tbelt area. There is a small puddle of fuel there after...
  9. S

Vibration over 50mph

In our 2000 golf, there is a vibration which happens whenever speed is >50mph. The vibration is felt in the steering wheel. The vibration continues (and has been getting worse) as long as you have your foot on the go pedal. As soon as you release the go pedal the vibration stops, even if you...
  10. S

Sticky/dying Ignition Switch

Our A4 Golf is running great, except it is starting to have problems with the ignition switch. At first it just didn't recognize when the key was pulled out (didn't turn off radio or pop the door locks). But if you whacked it or put the key back in and out that usually fixed it. Now it has...
  11. S

What's an ALH engine worth these days?

Well my pristine 02 jetta wagon with 118K on it got totaled. At least that's what the body shop said would likely happen, still waiting for word from the ins co. And I was thinking about whether I should buy the totaled car back from the ins co, grab a few things for my 00 golf and try to sell...
  12. S

02 Jetta (auto) No AC

I have not been driving this Jetta much, and was yesterday and to my surprise no AC. It worked the last time I drove the car in the summer (probably last year). So when I got home did some quick diag work: Blend door was working (air got much hotter when temp switched to hot). Rad fans work...
  13. S

Can't rev after a Tbelt/head replacement

Well I am just about done with this head replacement and new Tbelt for my 02 ALH engine. Got it running after quite a bit of cranking to get things primed, and it idles fairly well. Problem I am running into is it won't rev much past idle. It starts and idles fine now, but when I hit the accel...
  14. S

Turbo Oil line and torches

I am putting a new head on my ALH, and have vague memories of some talk here about heating the nut on the turbo oil line before putting it back on. Now that it is time for that oil line to go back on I figured that I should know more about it. I did do a search but did not seem to find any...
  15. S

01 Golf TDI, flasher or switch

The turn signals on my 01 Golf are acting up. They flash once (occasionally twice or so) when the turn signal level is moved to right or left; then they stop flashing. If the emergency flasher button is pressed in, everything flashes just fine. So I am wondering if this is enough diagnosis to...
  16. S

Leaking around an injector

Our 01 Golf ALH engine is leaking a black oily goo around the base of the injector for cylinder 2. I have cleaned the area up (as best possible without pulling the injector) replaced the return lines (which were already fairly new) took it for a test drive. I can confirm that the leak does not...
  17. S

Oil Splash Shield

I am finally getting back to reassembling my 01 TDI which had dropped a valve lifter. It has sat in the garage for a long while (don't ask) because I did not have time to reassemble it. Now that I am putting things back together, I find my memory isn't as good as it should be, so I need to ask...
  18. S

VAG-COM HW with other brands of cars

So I have had an older Vag-Com for years, and use it sucessfully with my VW and Audis. However I have a need to pull and reset some OBDII codes on other brands of cars (Mercedes and Toyota). I believe that the Vag-Com HW is compatible with all OBDII cars, but of course the SW is not. My...
  19. S

Accessing the heater blend door

So I have narrowed my 00 Golf's no heat problem to the blend door (heater core was fine, and after some recent bumps there is now always heat). Checked some of the post on replacing the arm and/or door clip and started taking the lower dash out panels off to give that a look. Well, maybe I...
  20. S

Diagnosing No Heat Problem in '00 Golf

At the end of last winter, my 00 golf suddenly stopped having heat. The blower fan still works fine, and air still comes out of the ducts, it's just no longer hot, even with the engine fully up to temp. No signs of a heater core or other coolant leak, no antifreeze smells or water in the car...