Search results

1. caseyfriday

Squealing Noise Just After Startup

I'm trying to figure out what this noise is. It's louder when I start the car up cold, but after the car gets up to 90C, it's much quieter. This recording is when it's started cold. It sounds like a belt squealing, but it only happens right after the engine starts, and the car is completely...
  2. caseyfriday

Finally getting better mileage!

I'd been getting mid 30s, and I decided to run two cans of diesel purge through the injectors as well as starting to hypermile. I still need to clean the intake manifold and EGR, and replace the thermostat, but the small steps I've taken have definitely paid off! Just a bit more tuning, and...
  3. caseyfriday

Intake/EGR cleaning, MAF Check - with VCDS

I want to clean out my Intake Manifold / EGR, as I suspect it's clogged up with soot. The car is an 02 Golf with ~181k miles on it. Next oil change is at 183k, and I want to clean the EGR / intake manifold, all filters replaced (including fuel filter), and make sure the MAF is functioning...
  4. caseyfriday

LuK Clutch 17-050 Kit on Sale at Amazon - $200 (Lowest Price Ever)

LuK Clutch 17-050 Kit on Sale at PartsGeek - $189 (Lowest Price Ever) http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=LuK+17-050&x=25&y=10 This clutch is very well rated, and I've been tracking its price for the past couple months. It's now at an all-time low price, so if you're due to replace your...
  5. caseyfriday

Shiny 02 MKIV Golf

Sometimes, I just have to pat myself on the back for making my 12 year old car look better than the brand new ones on the road.
  6. caseyfriday

What is this noise my car is making?

So I've read up a very minimal amount on MK4's making a 'chewbacca groan' noise when braking in reverse. That's what's happening here, but it only just started. I bought the car about 6k miles ago, so besides all the service receipts, I don't know much about whether or not it did this before...
  7. caseyfriday

I Replaced the Passenger Airbag (Dash) - 00589

I purchased my 02 Golf in August 2013, and it had an airbag light on when I got it. I didn't get around to fixing it until just this past week. I've actually tried to fix it twice, and neither of the fixes I found online worked. I read that you can just reseat the connector, and it should...
  8. caseyfriday

Low Power in First Gear

I bought my 02 Golf a couple months ago, and it has 173k miles on it. It has the original tranny in it, and it was driven by two very OCD drivers (like myself) before me. So the car is still in fantastic condition, and it shifts fantastically (manual). My question is probably more about the...
  9. caseyfriday

Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis

I just did an oil change on my 02 Golf and though, why not send off an oil sample to Blackstone, as this is the first oil change I've performed since buying the car a couple months ago? After sending it off, I've been doing some reading, and I'm pretty sure I sent a bad sample. I drained all...
  10. caseyfriday

02 Golf Fuel Leak

Hi all, I hope I'm able to get some guidance with this, as I don't think it's a huge issue, but I'd like to take care of it now before it turns into something bigger. I bought my 02 Golf TDI 5-sp a couple months ago. It currently has about 173k miles on it. I'm just about due for an...
  11. caseyfriday

Airbag Fault 00589 (N131 Igniter)

I have an airbag fault (00589) on my 02 Golf. I've just attempted to clean the yellow connectors under the passenger seat with electrical contact cleaner. I cleaned the two-wire thin plug and plugged it back in. Still had the airbag light. I then disconnected the yellow square plug (very...
  12. caseyfriday

Sound Upgrade in 02 Golf

I bought my 02 Golf about 2 months ago, and the main thing I miss from my 06 NB is the Monsoon system. The Golf appears to have come with a Monsoon system originally, but the amp is not in the hatch cubby any more, and the previous owner installed a Kenwood head unit. I've always been an...
  13. caseyfriday

Radio Reception Problems (Antenna Base Likely Culprit)

I bought an 02 Golf TDI about 2 months ago, and I just replaced the aftermarket Kenwood stereo that came with the car. I put in an Alpine 9835. I was getting terrible reception with the Kenwood, so I figured when I did the Alpine install, I would fix whatever wasn't working with the Kenwood...
  14. caseyfriday

Engine Squeals - Serpentine Tensioner?

I recently had my timing belt job done (<300 miles ago), and the engine slowly started to squeal when I start it up. I looked up the TB kit at ID parts, and it looks like that kit comes with a Serpentine Belt, but not a Serpentine Tensioner. I'm wondering if the squeal would be warrantied by...
  15. caseyfriday

FS: 06 New Beetle TDI 81k (SATX)

FS: 06 New Beetle TDI 81k (SATX) $10k Price drop to $10k Title in hand 2006 VW Beetle TDI, DSG (Platinum Gray) Just had the 80k service performed at Diesel Toys in San Antonio. Included oil, fuel, and cabin filters, oil change, and DSG flush / filter change. Also had the tandem pump and...
  16. caseyfriday

Loud Vibration During Acceleration (After Panzer Install)

I installed the Panzer Plate with driver side FMJ on my 06 NB TDI last week. I realized there should be a passenger side skirt too (after being confused by the site), and installed it this morning. I then put the Panzer Plate back on. I just got in my car to drive to lunch, and as I got up to...
  17. caseyfriday

Timing Belt Replaced, Now Brakes Suck (Shop's Fault?)

Timing Belt Replaced, Now Brakes Suck Edit: Problem resolved. It was absolutely not the shop's fault. Diesel Toys in SATX has my FULL recommendation. Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic, nor do I claim to be. I went to get my timing belt maintenance done at Diesel Toys in San Antonio, TX - the...
  18. caseyfriday

06 NB TDI gets 31mpg avg

The title says it all. I was just told by a tech yesterday that my torsion value in VAGCOM reads 1.5kW, which is "way off" and the reason I'm getting terrine fuel economy. I've always had fuel filter changes, regular maintenance, etc. when hypermiling, I can only get 34mpg. Does the timing...
  19. caseyfriday

Need Quick Advice - Shop Work Done = coolant no longer flowing

Hi all. I took my 06 Beetle TDI to Diesel Toys in San Antonio, at the recommendation of a lot of members here. I bought a thermostat and ECT sensor previously (as the stealership told me they needed replacing). I didn't have time to do it myself, so I asked the guys at Diesel toys to change...