Search results

1. W

Just a little help please

Sorry to repost this but I couldn't edit the title and hardly anyone was giving it a read. Previous post material is between quatation marks. "1. I recently used VAG-COM's TDI Timing Checker with the engine (AHU) at operating temperature. (My wife had just completed a 20 mile highway drive)...
  2. W

Read threads and FAQs, still have ignition timing questions

1. I recently used VAG-COM's TDI Timing Checker with the engine (AHU) at operating temperature. (My wife had just completed a 20 mile highway drive). Block 2 readings at idle were between 34 and 36 giving me a "timing slightly retarded" note. I did not note block 9. I did not notice a point...
  3. W

VW pulling TDI

VW Vortex Forum members are quoting VW dealership employees as saying VW will not introduce a 2007 diesel and will suspend production of North American 2006 diesel models in the 39th week of 2006. Inability to meet Tier II zero emissions standards and the EPA's unwillingness to allow a...
  4. W

Body work, MIL, and smoke

5. W

Panic button fix?

Believe it or not my bride has managed to crush the panic buttons on both sets of our 98 Jetta TDI keys. Probably a combination of an overstuffed purse and the house keys getting levered against the button. This lady has been a faithful friend and more for 43 years so I'm not about to make an...
  6. W

Looking for VW OEM tranny fluid

I'm at 110k on my 98 Jetta and based on some of the posts on this forum I'm wondering if I should change the transmission lube. Problem is, the two local dealers don't stock it. I posted this originally on "TDI 101" as "Need help from a Wisconsin TDI owner" and it would probably make more...
  7. W

Need help from a Wisconsin TDI owner

I have 110k on my 98 Jetta TDI and have read that some owners are replacing the transmission lube as early as 80k. I may not be quite as zealous as some but I do plan on keeping my TDI until it dies. My local parts guy in Wausau offered to sell me a none-VW product; it was 75W-90 but not GL-4...
  8. W

That funny green colored tube

At about 50k I noticed the long green tube running from the firewall forward had formed a significent wear area from vibrating on the engine block. Since it didn't seem perforated, I snipped a piece from a plastic straw and wrapped the ends with electric tape. I'm at 108k now with no problems...
  9. W

Newbie intro

Wondered if you have or have thought about a place for newbies to introduce themselves; anyway, here's mine. I have been an anonymous browser of this forum for some time and finally decided to add my name to the list of members. My current diesel is a ’98 Jetta sedan with 107k purchased new...