Search results

1. romad

Phoenix area TDI owners, post if you're still here

I very rarely go down there. Most of the time it is via a shuttle to Sky Harbor airport. My next planned trip is in May for a flight.
  2. romad

Phoenix area TDI owners, post if you're still here

I'm in Prescott also, but I don't have the skills to do this type job otherwise I'd have done it on my Jetta. 😀 Since I still haven't had time to have a shop built, I don't even do much beyond very minor maintenance.
  3. romad

Road trip distance?

How long did it take to get through the Yuma border crossing? I've heard it can be a few hours since they closed the Lukeville crossing.
  4. romad

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Unfortunately, they are trying to eliminate natural gas as a fuel in addition to gasoline & diesel.
  5. romad

I'd like to know if anyone uses the following and why

No, that is the problem as I can't find the cetane number for diesel sold in AZ. I know that CARB diesel is mandated to be equal to or greater than 53. As for the 520 micron maximum that is what is mandated nationwide by the Feds; CARB never mandated a lower maximum. The 460 micron maximum is...
  6. romad

Lighten up! I NEVER said he did. I used that as an example of an excuse the oil companies might use to raise prices.
  7. romad

The oil companies are blaming the heat wave; if the temps were lower than average then they would say the high prices were due to the cold! They'll use anything to hike prices in order to increase their profits. Greed and collusion are the real reasons. Oh, President Biden has a hangnail so we...
  8. romad

Well, I live at 5,300' elevation and winter temps do drop below freezing so I should use anti-gel in Dec - Feb. Also, I used to live in California where the diesel fuel has a minimum cetane rating of 53 so I'd like to get that or above plus I'd like to get the lubricity down from 520 microns to...
  9. romad

Yesterday I had a new set of Continental TrueContact Tours put on, the Nexen I bought in Indianapolis put on the spare rim, and today I vacuumed the crumbled tire residue out of the spare well before putting the spare back into it.
  10. romad

1. Howe's Diesel Anti-Gel vs Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Winter Anti-Gel 2 Stanadyne Performance Formula (both All-Season & Warm Weather versions) vs Hot Shot's Secret EDT 3.Stanadyne Lubricity Formula vs Hot Shot's Secret LX4 Lubricity Extreme I currently use the Stanadyne & Howe's products but...
  11. romad

Hmm, that makes sense. I was on the return leg of a trip from Prescott to Staten Island when this happened. It might have developed a slow leak I didn't catch.
  12. romad

Continental vs Yokohama

That tire didn't come up in my search so it was either discontinued or not available in 195/65R15. However, I finally went with the Continentals and will get them installed tomorrow.
  13. romad

Continental vs Yokohama

I just looked at my spare which now has about 50 miles of use on it but looks almost brand new. The manufacture code on it is 3504; since the car was built in November 2004, this is the spare that came with it! Since it is 1 month short of being 19 years old, I'm going to replace it with the...
  14. romad

Nothing duct tape and fix-a-flat couldn't handle, but I didn't have either. :D
  15. romad

A little over 6 years. When I first felt the vibration and heard the noise, I thought it was the left front as I'd hit a small pothole a few miles back. Here's the inside: I just checked and there were about 45 - 46,000 miles on it.
  16. romad

Continental vs Yokohama

OK, the reason I went with the two was the tread wear is rated at 800, the highest listed. I see the Altimax only has a rating of 600, 25% lower than the ones I chose yet its price is only 5% less than the Yokohama and only 10% less than the Continental. I can't see the cost savings is worth the...
  17. romad

Not today but on Saturday 22 Jul 23. I had to replace this: in Indianapolis while returning from a trip to Staten Island. Got the cheapest 195/65x15 Big O had in stock but now have to buy a set of new tires. I'll probably have the tire I bought in Indy put on the spare rim
  18. romad

Continental vs Yokohama

I've narrowed my choices down to the Continental TrueContact Tour and the Yokohama Avid Ascend LX. I have Continentals on the Jetta now but need to replace them. Has anyone used either of these? If so, which do you recommend?
  19. romad

Canadian Smoke & Cabin Air Filters

It is the filter that catches more allergens than the standard charcoal. I guess it'll depend on whether the smoke particulates are smaller than fine pollens.
  20. romad

Canadian Smoke & Cabin Air Filters

I'm making a trip back to Staten Island and Upstate NY. I use the Hengst BlueCare cabin air filter and was wondering how it handles the smoke. I'm going to put a new one in before I leave on 9 Jul 23 plus carry a spare with me on the trip.