Search results

1. Mike_04GolfTDI

Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure (CPS) - Please Report to NHTSA

You should have a look at the “Random Engine Hesitation” thread. Since I posted that, there has been a series of TDI owners reporting that they had the same issue. Since the problem doesn’t generate a fault code, dealers don’t know what to do about it, or how to even find the problem. It’s...
  2. Mike_04GolfTDI

Mk7 starts then dies immediately

When it won’t start, does the starter motor turn the engine, or does it not even turn? Can you describe the loud sound?
  3. Mike_04GolfTDI

Random Engine Hesitation

Post #80 has the part number and a link to where I got the sensor. I have no experience with any other brand of sensor. The new one is still working fine.
  4. Mike_04GolfTDI

Favorite engine cleaning method?

Permatex Fast Orange and a toothbrush.
  5. Mike_04GolfTDI

Favorite engine cleaning method?

Point a leaf blower in there for a minute.
  6. Mike_04GolfTDI

Random Engine Hesitation

^ I’m glad it worked out for you, except for losing $600.
  7. Mike_04GolfTDI

30A fuse for fans blowing after replacing fuse box and alternator cable

Does the same circuit with the blowing fuse also supply power to the A/C compressor clutch? I recently had to replace the PTO clutch on a tractor because it would blow as soon as it was engaged. It’s similar to an A/C compressor clutch, just bigger. Use an ohmmeter to check the resistance of...
  8. Mike_04GolfTDI

Possible Theft? 2015 GSW TDI

Any chance you have a dash cam that records when the car is running?
  9. Mike_04GolfTDI

Turbo Not Working, Car Ok To Drive?

One thing I would be concerned about is if the turbo is damaged, then it is possible that all the oil that normally lubricates the bearing will be just going out the exhaust pipe. You’d soon be low on oil. It depends what’s wrong though, It could be that nothing is mechanically wrong with the...
  10. Mike_04GolfTDI

**solved** 2015 Golf TDI - white smoke from the front of engine, but no overheating and no trouble codes

What does the smoke smell like? For example, is it burning rubber, burning oil, or more like steam from leaking coolant?
  11. Mike_04GolfTDI

Engine Hiccup

Maybe they went and read my thread on the subject to figure out how to test it. LoL. My dealer had no clue.
  12. Mike_04GolfTDI

Cold Start Rattle

I wonder if the noise has something to do with the water pump shroud? These cars have a shroud that will cover the water pump impeller when the engine is cold, so it will warm up more quickly because there’s little or no coolant flow. When it gets warm enough, the shroud retracts to allow the...
  13. Mike_04GolfTDI

Fuel pump fuse location

https://fuse-box.info/volkswagen/volkswagen-golf-vii-mk7-2013-2020-fuses Fuse number 10 under the hood. I can’t wait to hear how it goes.
  14. Mike_04GolfTDI

Engine Hiccup

The engine will randomly lose power for a second, several seconds, or even stall.
  15. Mike_04GolfTDI

Engine Hiccup

Another one… It’s like the 2015 crank position sensors are all failing now. That link posted by pedroYUL was from when my wife’s car developed this problem last year. VW dealer was not capable of fixing it even after being told what the problem was. If you have VCDS you can test the sensor...
  16. Mike_04GolfTDI

Engine noise

Wheel bearing. Jack up the car and see if any wheels do this:
  17. Mike_04GolfTDI

Random Engine Hesitation

3.5 hours? Wow. They have no shame. Putting the car on ramps, getting the skid plate off, and moving all the hoses and junk out of the way probably took me 15 minutes. With that out of the way, changing the sensor just takes a few minutes. I could probably do the whole job in 30 minutes or...
  18. Mike_04GolfTDI

Random Engine Hesitation

^ It is disgraceful that VW won’t acknowledge this problem. A car that randomly stalls without a fault code or check engine light is not something they should just be able to ignore simply because they don’t want to figure out what is going on. I figured it out, and I’m just some guy with...
  19. Mike_04GolfTDI

Cold Start Rattle

So probably not hydraulic lifters. They should stop rattling in a few seconds unless something is wrong with them (not likely). My wife’s 2015 TDI has always made the same noise, as far as I can remember. So it’s probably somewhat normal, or not serious. I’ll have a listen to hers sometime...
  20. Mike_04GolfTDI

Cold Start Rattle

Maybe it’s hydraulic lifters? The pressure bleeds down when the engine is stopped for a while, and then they firm up again when you drive. Their purpose is to maintain clearance between the cam lobe and valve stem. That engine can run the oil pressure at a reduced level depending on operating...