Search results

1. slickfast

1999.5 Jetta TDI 5-Speed

Hey all, As some of you may recognize my username, I have spent a lot of time on this car. After a 10,228 mile road trip, a few years of ownership, and what feels like an entire bachelor's degree about working on cars, it is time for me to move on. I really only would like to deal locally and...
  2. slickfast

ALH Slow to start when cold

How old is the battery? The cooler night time temps could be your answer, even though I'm jealous of how warm you guys are (I'm in CT)! In my experience I've only lubed/replaced the starter internals because the starter didn't work at all, not for reduced performance. But hey, it can't hurt!
  3. slickfast

Bringing my slow TDI back to life.

Definitely! Except I'm kind of afraid to drive it with no working brake lights. I guess I'll try checking the grounds for that.
  4. slickfast

Best thing I ever did to my Jetta!

I got Bilstein TCs and they've been great. Just firm enough and extremely responsive without being harsh.
  5. slickfast

I'm afraid I've already done that, but I'll find out truly when I finish pulling the headliner down. There has to be a clog/leak somewhere...
  6. slickfast

Power Loss 99.5 Jetta

Did you check your check valves? I know I'm biased since I just got out of limp mode with that being the issue, but it is worth checking out. The black and white one off the N75 should only work one way (white side towards the N75), and I recommend removing the brake booster hose completely to...
  7. slickfast

Diagnosing and Fixing Limp mode for A4 1.9TDI [low power troubleshooting]

Thanks a lot for putting the knowledge out there... you were right on the money with boost issues. My recommendation for anyone that's at the end of their rope: get systematic. I got a hand vacuum pump with a gauge on it (mity vac) and printed out the vacuum line diagram for my engine (alh...
  8. slickfast

Thanks a lot for putting the knowledge out there... you were right on the money with boost issues. My recommendation for anyone that's at the end of their rope: get systematic. I got a hand vacuum pump with a gauge on it (mity vac) and printed out the vacuum line diagram for my engine (alh...
  9. slickfast

Turned out to be a piece of gunk in the check valve of the brake booster line that was preventing any vacuum pressure to the turbo actuator. Power restored!
  10. slickfast

Turned out to be a piece of gunk in the check valve of the brake booster line that was preventing any vacuum pressure to the turbo actuator. Power restored!
  11. slickfast

I finally, finally got it. After just going through the car with a mity vac, vacuum testing everything systematically, I found that the check valve (THAT I HAD REPLACE A YEAR AGO) at the brake booster was completely clogged. No vacuum going to the turbo actuator = no turbo. CEL is now finally...
  12. slickfast

Still no power... tried almost everything...

Have you cleaned out the intake manifold?
  13. slickfast

I did put it all together, and although it breathes much better now (goes up to redline! whoo!) it is still lacking power. I found that the turbo vnt actuator was kaput, and put a new one in. I adjusted the rod length with a mity vac, and I think I got it right (starts moving around 4", stops...
  14. slickfast

I have a question about the vacuum that is created by the vacuum pump. I hooked up a mity vac to the line coming off the check valve of the brake booster (this was as close to the vacuum pump as I can get), and the vacuum eventually builds to >25 inHg but it takes at least 2 or 3 minutes to do...
  15. slickfast

I have a question about the vacuum that is created by the vacuum pump. I hooked up a mity vac to the line coming off the check valve of the brake booster (this was as close to the vacuum pump as I can get), and the vacuum eventually builds to >25 inHg but it takes at least 2 or 3 minutes to do...
  16. slickfast

Sunroof still leaks after all the normal checks. ARGH!

Hm, thanks for the info! I'll have to pull the headliner entirely and check that out... it's the only thing I haven't done after all. I have to pull it anyway to fix all the staining that happened as a result of the leaking... :mad: I had already seen the first one, but not the second one...
  17. slickfast

Meet White Betty...my new problem child.

And then your sunroof will leak. And then your radiator will crack. And then you'll lose boost pressure again. And then the alternator pulley and/or alternator regulator will go. And then the brake lights will stop working. These cars are just crappy, crappy cars. I've had one for a couple years...
  18. slickfast

Sunroof still leaks after all the normal checks. ARGH!

Hey All, I'm at the end of my rope here. My 1999.5 Jetta has been leaking, and I can't figure it out. I've done all of the searching. I clipped the ends of the little spouts. I checked that all 4 drains were clear by using wire as well as compressed air. I pulled down at the edges of the...
  19. slickfast

Need new Turbo

OP, just go read this. And oh my god, use Google.
  20. slickfast

Use propane... oxy acetylene is insanely hot for this application. All you're doing is igniting some of the oily soot. The air line is doing the work by providing lots of new oxygen.