Search results

1. T

spot cleaning headliner

Anyone have suggestions? I have a 4 year old who has lightly "scuffed" items across the headliner a bit - e.g., toys, straws etc. The marks are not physical damage to the cloth per se, more like scuff marks (discoloration) on a floor. I too am guilty of this scuffing. At times I've worn a...
  2. T

2013 Passat TDI SE bluetooth and Samsung Galaxy 3

About 3 or 4 months ago I had to replace my smartphone. I formerly had a Motorola Atrix that worked perfectly with the bluetooth in my car. Everyone said the quality of sound was great on the other end. I moved to a Galaxy 3 and now everyone says I sound like I'm in a wind tunnel. That's...
  3. T

Trunk Clunk

I have a 2013 Passat SE TDI with about 5000 miles at this point. Great car so far. However, I noticed a couple thousand miles ago that there's an occasional clunking noise coming from in the trunk when I am first backing out or sometimes braking to a stop. I have searched the trunk (on top...
  4. T

2001 Jetta TDI GLS - Dallas area

The leather is in good shape. This was originally a cloth seat car but I upgraded a couple years ago. Seats have heaters but I don't have them hooked up. Have the heat controls in the dash. Typical few dings here and there but very, very good for a 13 year old car. Glossy paint when clean and...
  5. T

New 2013 TDI SE/DSG/sunroof

Picked it up Saturday night. Black/black. Very pleased so far...of course I only have about 100 miles on it at this point. Much quicker than I thought it would be. Love the DSG - hope it proves reliable. Interestingly, the car already did a burn-off cycle at around 65 miles. How often...
  6. T

Big problem

Last night I was doing some suspension work on my 2001. Everything went great. Changed out an LCA and ball joint. Afterwards, I decided to do the hammer mod. Big mistake. I ended up breaking one of the 3 brass-like bolts on top of the IP. I can't get it out. I tried tightening down...
  7. T

Tax credit possibility?

Looked around but wondering if the 2013 Passat TDI might qualify for the advanced lean-burn tax credits. Noticed that BMW qualified with its 335d and SUV.
  8. T

Interior quality?

I've heard the Jettas have suffered from a significant decrease in quality of the interior....hard plastic, cheap feel, etc. How is the new Passat TDI? I know I can go look for myself but would like to know from current owners who have had a previous VW. I have a 2001 Jetta and the interior...
  9. T

Coolant leak after thermostat replacement

This is frustrating. My original thermostat (2001) stuck in the open position, preventing the engine from heating up. I replaced it, along with its flange housing and seal, with an aftermarket. The aftermarket DOES click into the housing just fine. No more problems with heating up, but...
  10. T

75X power stud

I've done a search but can't seem to find out how much current the 75X stud can provide. Looking to tap it for a 2 meter mobile ham radio that is rated at 75 watts. If not a good solution, will shoot straight to the battery...but I like the switched feature if the 75X can deliver 15 amps...
  11. T

Timing belt job

I'm pretty good with the maintenance of my car, doing everything for the past 11 years (since new) myself with the exception of warranty work and the timing belt. I'm now trying to decide whether to tackle the TB job myself. I see that I can rent the metalnerd tools and pick up a...
  12. T

Cel 19561

"Intermittent short." The anti-shudder servo is not operating at all...no "clunk" when the engine is shut down. Interestingly, no problems with the engine turning off. Valve is free and can be operated easily by hand. Electrical connector taken off and on, seems ok. Vacuum lines look ok...
  13. T

Seat swap

Swapping seats from a 2005 Jetta TDI into a 2001. As we all know, the airbag connectors are different for these years (I've verified that my old harnesses are the old style connectors). Instead of going through the expense of making adapters and whatnot, I'm considering just skipping the...
  14. T

WTB MK4 Seats

I'm looking for either: 1) Rear bottom seats in the light gray (with little squares) cloth, good shape or 2) Full used gray leather seats, front and back, manual, non-heat, good shape I'm in the Dallas area. Thanks, Bill
  15. T

Oil Change SURPRISE

2001 Jetta TDI GLS I changed the oil tonight and afterwards, while checking the dipstick, the orange tube in which the dipstick resides pulled right out of the engine cover. It severed down pretty low and from all indications is not salvageable. Looks like it just broke off down low. This...
  16. T

A/C vent problem

My 2001 just turned over 100K miles a couple weeks ago. To celebrate, it threw a CEL (not kidding)!!! But that's unrelated to my problem. Today, while tooling around in 95F Dallas weather, I noted that that the right 2 vents were not blowing. That's right...the center left and driver's...
  17. T

creeking noise when turning left

2001 Jetta TDI - has recently developed a creeking, almost "rubbing" noise when turning to the left. Does not occur when turning right. Noise occurs about 1/2 way to the stop. At first I thought the tire was rubbing on something, perhaps a piece of the plastic undercarriage shielding, but...
  18. T

Could use some help - stripped bolt hole

Well, one of my duties this weekend was to replace the accessory belt tensioner on my A4. Everything was going swimmingly until I was installing the new one, tightening each of the three mounting bolts bit by bit in succession. The bolt closest to the passenger cabin (the long bolt) just kept...
  19. T

Pulley ass'y vibrating

The pulley assembly that's attached to the accessory belt tensioner is vibrating on my 2001. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Could someone look at his/her tensioner and tell me if the cast (aluminum) pulley assembly which exerts pressure on the belt vibrates at all? It's not violent...
  20. T

Radiator fan?

I believe I have another failed radiator fan, but have not done extensive testing yet. Yesterday my A/C acted as if it was frozen up during a half an hour in some pretty bad traffic in 100F+ weather. Air temperature increased significantly. After reaching my destination, the car sat, turned off...