Search results

1. K

!7 years of TDIs finished, but nor without an argument

Finished the buyback this morning in Bend, Oregon, but the designated buyback person insisted that he could not tale the car back because it had snow tires on aftermarket wheels. Because of this forum, I knew that was bull. I politely told him so and I was well aware of the conditions for the...
  2. K

How exactly do I change from fix to buyback?

Well, I've decided to bail on my 2013 Passat. After 17 years I am ready to move on from VW. I am still keeping my 2000 Jetta, but cannot pass on the buyback. I accepted the fix option, filed all the paperwork, and received the acceptance from VW in February. Has anyone gone through the...
  3. K

Aftermarket wheel problem

I needed to get some snow tires and wheels for my 2013 Passat SE. The stock wheels are 17 in. I found a set of nearly new tires mounted on replica Audi 17 in wheels that were marked 5x112 on the casting. The seller said that they were on his son's Golf R32, but the holes didn't match up...
  4. K

Will wheels from a 2006 Jetta fit a 2013 Passat?

I'm in the process of trying to buy a 2013 SE TDI. I have a good set of snow tires mounted on custom alloys that fit the 2006 Jetta I am selling. If they will fit the new Passats, then I will want to keep them. If not, I'll need to sell them and start looking for another set of rims that will...
  5. K

2006 Jetta, manual, Package 2, loaded (Central Oregon)

I am selling my 2006 Jetta TDI that I bought new. Currently 108,xxx miles. Timing belt, water pump, and frank06 chrome stage II cam done (preventively) by Whitedog around 100k (thanks, Tim). I have priced it right... I am looking to buy a 2013 Passat SE TDI and of course the dealership...
  6. K

differential noise

My wife's 2006 manual Jetta (96,000 miles) has a hum/howl between 60 and 70 mph. She says it has made the noise for a year, but didn't think it was important, so didn't say anything about it. It's been at least 10,000 miles, I figure. It lessens when you let off the throttle or go down hills...
  7. K

Massive leak at fuel filter

This is my 2006 (I know this is the A4 spot, but it is a PD and you guys are more into maintanence that the A5 spot). I seem to be really stupid about changing this new style fuel filter. I first changed it at the 20K interval. It was fine for a day, then it started leaking. Badly. Lost 1/4 tank...
  8. K

Is there an easy fix for the mfd mpg calculator?

My 06 calculates the mpg about 7 mpg too high vs paper and pencil. I seem to remember a thread about this a while back, but at the time I didn't have an A5. I tried a search, but can't seem to locate the right key word.
  9. K

Thinking of selling my 2003 wagon

Just puting out a feeler. Wife wants a New Jetta instead of the GL wagon. 47,000 miles, heated seats, monsoon, 5-speed. Any ideas on what it might be worth? Dealer trade-in price was a joke.
  10. K

Why are my two Jettas so different?

I own a 2000 Jetta manual with 85k miles and a 2003 Jetta wagon manual with 45k miles. Both have the ventectimey and are filled until you see fuel in the neck. Both have the EGR dialed back and the timing set at optikum. But the sedan has always given exceptional milage from the first tank...
  11. K

Rodents chewed through my fuel line!

Excuse me if you have heard of this before, but it was new to me. Last week I tried my first tank of B-99 in my 2000 Jetta. It seemed to run Ok, so I took a 400 mile trip to test the mileage. It dropped about 10 mpg. So I filled up with dino diesel and started home. Less than a mile from...
  12. K

Headlight bulb shield fell off

I just noticed that the passengers side headlight has a cylindrical piece of metal rattling around in the housing. It is a shield of some kind that was in front of the bulb and had a thin brace down to the bulb fixture. Has anyone else seen this happen? I don't see anyway to get at it. The...
  13. K

Recirc problems

The recirc button lights up, but doesn't change the flapper. I noticed that I was getting about 5 seconds of slight interference on the radio when I switched it on before, but nothing now. Is it a motor, like a Porsche?
  14. K

Call me stupid...

I took out the 2.0 MAF I have been running to replace it with the original dead MAF so I could let the dealer replace it with a new one. But I put both of them together and then knocked them over. D'oh! Now I can't remember which is the 2.0! So, does the original number end with an A, or...
  15. K

A "pop", then big loss of power.

A \"pop\", then big loss of power. I was accelerating my 2k Jetta from a stoplight when there was a loud "pop" noise, cloud of black smoke, and a huge loss of power. When I look under the hood I can see the snorkle from the EGR is pushed up against the power steering pulley and the engine is...
  16. K

Car repaired (?), but whistling sound remains

My '00 Jetta is finally back from the body shop after being run into ditch, but as I was driving it home I noticed a whooshing sound coming from the direction of the glove box. It only is noticable under load and when floored. It is tied to the turbo boost as I can hear the turbo spooling up...
  17. K

Did drivbiwire get the job in Bend?

I read that he was interviewing out here and since I am less than 20 miles away maybe we could get together.
  18. K

Pulled out of ditch...now what?

My wife had the unfortunate experience of sliding my 2000 Jetta into a ditch yesterday. She wasn't going to fast, I guess, because the airbags didn't deploy. This happened WAY out in the boonies of Central Oregon on a dirt road. The nearest "town" has a population of about 50 ranchers and the...
  19. K

Buying 98 Jetta

I am considering buying a 98 Jetta for my son (wedding present). It has 93k miles and had the timing belt changed at 60k. What else should I look out for? It doesn't have that lousy MAF, does it? Thanks in advance for your help.