Search results

1. J

Wiring Harness/Glow Plugs/ Check engine light

Sorry Wingnut, I checked and found Impex's website. The impex.com website is nothing but an email link, the impexfap.com website had just what I needed. Thanks guys
  2. J

Hey Wingnut, Where do I get a new harness? Thanks
  3. J

Hi Frank -- the air filter was always factory through 80K (4 of the 5 MAF sensors) and K&N afterwards. Here's an update ---> yesterday the latest MAF died again. Last time I went through this, it took them a couple of tries to get a MAF to stay good for more than a couple of months. I'm...
  4. J

My dealer just told me he wanted to replace this & the plugs (he replaced those at 45K due to a mismatch between them...Bosch & someone elses...installed at the factory). Price: $480. Verdict: No go, I'll do it myself. Geez these guys are something else. BTW, it happens to be in the shop for...
  5. J

TDI R.I.P. ?

This is the 2nd dealer (both have been great in the service dept) and is the only reason I've put up with it this long. Unlike most folks I've got great praise for the dealers & crap for the car. This time the problem turned out to be a bad glow plug. Of the 4 that were put in at the factory...
  6. J

Engine Check Light

Mine did the same thing a couple thousand miles back (51K) and it was the glow plug sensor...Since it's summer it doesn't need the glow plug to drive well & performance wasn't affected & they replaced it. (The light's on again now in fact...always something). The MAF sensor failure is...
  7. J

Dealers Giving Free MAF Sensors

Mine was replaced at 28K & 9 months of age (I drive a lot) and the dealer (Mitchell VW, Canton CT) worked with me & VWoA to get it paid for by them --- but only after I pointed out that the cars sold in CT had a NE Emissions 'package' that I was forced to buy ($100) that were it registered in...
  8. J

TDI R.I.P. ?

My 2000 Jetta GLS TDI is back to the shop for yet *another* CHECK ENGINE light. Seems the MAF Sensor at 28,000 and again at 40,000 and again at 51,000 wasn't enough. It's lonely for the guys in the shop. In fact it was so homesick for them that at 40,000 it not only needed the standard 40K...
  9. J

Belly pan for 2000 Jetta TDI

My dealer (Mitchell VW in Canton CT) was the source for the metal belly pan. He had replaced one for someone else on a 5 spd but when he checked he found out that it doesn't fit the auto. He said it was a single piece instead of the 3 piece plastic (center with 2 wings) one I've got on my car...
  10. J

A4 Timing belt change procedure request

Has anyone done an A4 version of Drivbiwire's classic treatise on TB replacements (see the archives for his missive on the A3 version)? I did catch the pix he's got on the net (http://www.cst.cmich.edu/users/willi1gl/tbelt2/tbelt2.html) but was looking to see if there's anyone with a photo/text...
  11. J

MAF Replacement at 35K & 9 months

Val: yep it's all stock so far. The dealer says the air filter failed & let sand get sucked in the air plumbing -- all the way back to the turbo. No sudden temp changes or anything. Just a brief drop in power and then a check engine light accompanied by no more turbo boost (30 seconds to 20mph...
  12. J

40K service

Talking about timing belts isn't exactly off-topic for one on the 40K service, but I got the "official" VWoA word on TB replacements on the A4 Jetta TDI ---- replace at 40,000 miles if it's an automatic, inspect at 40,000 & replace at 60,000 if it's a standard. There are two tech docs specifying...
  13. J

Belly pan for 2000 Jetta TDI

Anyone know where I can get a metal belly pan for a 2000 Jetta TDI w/Automatic? The plastic one is a 3 piecer that works very well going forward but if you catch it on something backing up it'll rip right off. There's a metal one that's a single piece, slightly different design that won't rip...
  14. J

40K service

I'm going through my 40K right now. Interesting note, one dealer (Danbury VW/Audi) said that 40K TB replacement was no longer required. Said they just needed to "check" it. I said "Wow, I thought it was 40K replacement." He says "used to be & not too many people but us know it's not." Not...
  15. J

Guess what folks? --- I'm at 39,952 & 344 days old & my Check Engine light comes on and yes indeedy acceleration is gone! So off it goes to the dealer (fortunately I've already got an appt for the 40K timing belt change) where they tell me --- yep, it's the MAF sensor AGAIN! Hey, I got almost...
  16. J

Here's the official VWoA scoop on the MAF sensor & coverage under emissions warranty past 24mos/24K ---> except in California, VT, and MA there AIN'T NONE! Buyers of the Northeast Emissions Package did not get anything unless they live & register the car in MA or VT. The rest of the Northeast...
  17. J

OK, my car's back & I'm happy. I'll be happier on Monday when I call the dealer & tell him to give me my $450 back (they were closed when I picked it up). Here's the real scoop on the MAF sensor & U.S. emissions warranty for a 2000 Jetta TDI. Book 1.2 contains the warranty info for the car...
  18. J

So, my car gives me the "I'm not a turbo anymore" performance and lights up the CEL. I take it to my kindly dealer who figures out that the ECU is telling him the MAF is bad & the EGR is reading low. OK I says to him, fix it...well maybe we can do it tomorrow, or the day after, surely not later...
  19. J

Timing Belt Replacemen Change

I was at my dealer the other day to have him check my check engine light when I complained about having to take the car in for the 40,000 mile timing belt change. He (Vance at Danbury VW in Danbury CT) told me that they had just gotten word that the change interval for the belt had been changed...
  20. J

My TDI is a lemon and I still love it !

OK Mickey --- Another day and another perfect drive in my TDI. Got 12K on it since April, 2 service visits to the dealer (5 & 10) both with great(!) service. The last one, someone had taken the lower right grill piece out of the lower bumper & they replaced it for $9. I can't get a...