Search results

1. mrfrankmrfrank

My TDI has been dead in my driveway for 15 months...time to bring it back to life

I guess my question was would the door be able to flap if the bushing / pin isn't damaged?
  2. mrfrankmrfrank

My TDI has been dead in my driveway for 15 months...time to bring it back to life

As the title says, starting December 2017 I encountered an issue with my hvac system. I kept hearing a "thud" or a "flap" accompanied with a change in air pressure and a suction noise. I can't remember the exact behavior as it has been some time. I wasn't too worried as from what I remember...
  3. mrfrankmrfrank

VagCom / VCDS near Addison Il

I was wondering if anyone had a vagcom / vcds near addison IL? My 2001 tdi has been struggling to start in the cold weather and blows a ton of smoke upon startup (only in cold weather) and kermatdi (who sold me the engine and turbo requested a vcds emailed to them to help diagnose. Don't know...
  4. mrfrankmrfrank

Project Hailstorm

New turbo s7 installed. New southbend stage 2 endurance installed.
  5. mrfrankmrfrank

Project Hailstorm

Some Updates! All parts have arrived and my mechanic has started the engine swap. Old engine pulled
  6. mrfrankmrfrank

Project Hailstorm

This is an old thread that I started, however I still own this car. It has served me well, every single day for several years now. It's had it's ups and downs until recently. About a month ago I experienced a run-away diesel. I had to emergency pull over to the side of a very busy road and...
  7. mrfrankmrfrank

Just wanted to thank you guys.

New turbo s7 installed. New southbend stage 2 endurance installed.
  8. mrfrankmrfrank

Some Updates! All parts have arrived and my mechanic has started the engine swap. Old engine pulled
  9. mrfrankmrfrank

I managed to find and purchase a brand new ALH engine. This is not a rebuilt engine, rather a surplus engine directly from VW. I am very excited to have an engine with 0 miles and I get to be responsible for all oil changes from day 1. I have also purchased borg warner s7 turbo BOSIO 1019...
  10. mrfrankmrfrank

Spend my money for me.

I have another thread going in the mk4 general forum where I thanked this forum for helping save my life during a runaway diesel situation. My 2001 jetta ranaway from me while doing close to 50mph on a busy street. After speaking with my mechanic and diagnosing the damage, I need a new engine...
  11. mrfrankmrfrank

I have finally secured finances to get my jetta back on the road. My mechanic and I are going over required purchases. He is hunting for a replacement engine with as low miles as he can find. I am tasked with looking for a used 17/22 garret turbo. I had always planned on upgrading to the...
  12. mrfrankmrfrank

WTB ALH Garret VNT 17/22 Turbo

Looking to upgrade my stock vnt-15 turbo to an ALH 17/22. Looking to purchase slightly used to save a little from new purchase. I have cash ready and can pay however preferred / agreed upon.
  13. mrfrankmrfrank

Just heard from the mechanic. Engine is seized and the turbo is blown.
  14. mrfrankmrfrank

Thank you for the offer, I will consider it depending on the route I end up going. If I end up replacing the engine, it will be done by hands far more qualified than mine.
  15. mrfrankmrfrank

Yes, I had it removed when I upgraded my intake. I believe this is why I had previously read about runaway diesels in the first place. I was aware that without the ASV that this was a possibility.
  16. mrfrankmrfrank

Thank you for the tips. Relaying a cautionary tale was part of my reason for posting as it might help someone else in the future. I fully understand your suggestion and will remember it in the future.
  17. mrfrankmrfrank

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'll update here when I know more from the mechanic. It's amazing that you don't always realize how attached you are to a car until you're facing losing it. I know it's just a car, but with a 68 mile round trip daily commute to work you grow attached haha
  18. mrfrankmrfrank

I didn't hear much from my mechanic today so I texted him "jetta's dead right" and he responded "it may be the engine for real" My hopes aren't the highest. I feel I will investigate a full engine swap if needed. I'd rather spend $5k on replacing the engine of my beloved tdi than spend $5k...