Search results

1. V

Dragon Performance Tuning Box

I have a digital PD TDI tuning box for sale that I bought a few years ago for a 2004 Jetta PD TDI 1.9 100HP. I've hardly used it (my wife drives the car mostly and didn't like the extra power). Its made by Dragon Performance, www.dragonperformanceuk.com a big player in the UK. It does seem to...
  2. V

First PD Engine Replacement?

Do I get the award? 04 Jetta PD TDI Wagon into dealer for its 16000km (10000mile) servicing - while on hoist they found a small coolant leak at rear of block. On investigation they found a small casting imperfection and VW has authorised a complete engine replacement. Bit of a shock as the car...
  3. V

Power Steering Trouble

Hello All - my 04 Jetta wagon seems to have developed a bit of a problem. At idle, especially warm, I seem to have manual steering. Anything above idle seems normal and fine. But very heavy steering in parking situations etc and I'm sure it wasn't like that until recently. Don't seem to have any...
  4. V

Power Steering Reservoir?

Where is the power steering fluid reservoir on an '04 PD Jetta? Looked around and just couldn't see it. Thanks for any help.
  5. V

Fuel Economy using Tiptronic

Hello All - as the Tiptronic torque converter locks up at all highway speeds, why would one expect the fuel milage to be any less on the highway that with a standard. Once lock up has occured, isn't it the same as a manual? Or is there a gear ratio difference between auto and man trans? Or would...
  6. V

Another '04 JW hits the streets!

Another \'04 JW hits the streets! Picked up my new wagon yesterday. For those interested, chronology: Built Wolfsburg week 41, arrived halifax Oct 15, rail loaded Oct. 26, del'd Vancouver Island Nov.13 Took it stock except added undercoating. All options except On Star (telematics). confirmed...
  7. V

04 Jetta Wagon Getting Closer!

Our new wagon arrived in halifax 10/15; rail loaded 10/26, should be here within a week now I think. Drove an '04 PD Jetta Sedan with tiptronic today. Very nice, lots of power, smooth, quiet. Very impressed. No problem getting the 505.01 oil, both Castrol and Motul available. Once again dealer...
  8. V

Monsoon with luxury package in Canadian 2004s?

Hello All - can any of you lucky members that have taken delivery of a 2004 Jetta in Canada, with the luxury package tell me if you ended up with the monsoon system? I'm told you can tell by turning on the radio. If the display initially reads "MONSOON" instead of displaying the current station...
  9. V

Canadian Source for Primrose?

HiAll - anyone know if I can buy Primrose 405 in Canada. I see it is available at AV Lubricants in a case of 6 bottles but that is good for about 50k miles. Plus the exchange rate and shipping will probably triple the price by the time it arrives at my door. Would like to buy it by the bottle if...
  10. V

Skid Plates

Can anyone out there fill me in? Why so much call for skid plates. Is the oil pan really vulnerable? What's the deal?
  11. V

Pumpe Deuse Explained

Was looking for info on the PD technology. I don't think this is written specifically for the 2004s but hopefully the info is correct. Perhaps those of you in the know out there can confirm. Thanks. "Other VW TDI models with the 1.9 litre 4-cylinder of 115 hp or 150 hp, and the 1.2 litre and...
  12. V

Water Separators

I gather that the stock fuel filter is mainly a particulate filter and would not separate much (if any) water. Having a marine background, I see nearly all marine diesels with a fairly large water separator before the fuel filter, usually having a clear bowl and manual drain valve. Usually made...
  13. V

Bora Variant a Jetta Wagon?

Is this basically correct? And how does one in North America have one (like VW Derf)? Have to be imported from Germany?
  14. V

Links

Hi - the link to VW Germany (English) appears to take me to the same German site as the VW Germany (German). Is this a mistake? If so, can you fix the link or provide the URL for the English site? Thanks.
  15. V

Any tips for a new owner to be?

Hello All - I've just spent a fascinating few days in the classroom TDI 101 . I have a 2004 Jetta Wagon, TDI 100hp, Tiptronic on factory order and found this club while picking up misc VW info on the net. I can't imagine any other car out there that evokes such passion and knowledge from the...
  16. V

Inline pump control vs. ecu chip

Hi - Can anyone supply me any info re pros and cons of modifying performance by using an inline devise such as the Van Aaken Smartbox versus changing the chip like an Upsolute. I understand the chip controls the ecu directly while the inline controls (modifies) the output of the ecu to...