Search results

1. V

Rear brake line on drivers side

LOL Jacked up indeed. !! That's great info thank you very much. Yes the lines have been drained by VW every 4 years or so. The part where it snapped was right before the banjo bolt so i think it was just fatigued or tired :) Okay looking out for a flaring tool now. No Autozone here in...
  2. V

Rear brake line on drivers side

Hi, 2004 Jetta wagon, had a brake fluid leak, jacked the car up and fluid leaking just before the banjo bolt, rear left side. Wiggled the hard metal where it joins the banjo and it just broke in half. I see there is a union about 8 inches along further back. Can this be fixed easily, would...
  3. V

VAG-COM OBD Scanners references/FAQ

Question. For my 04 Jetta wagon I've seen lots of talk about Vag Com but what about this one. http://www.obdcom.com/index.htm I keep getting engine light on, especially in the winter and I'm tired of having to take it to the dealer to clear it. Has anyone tried obdcom and compared it to Vag Com...
  4. V

How happy is everyone??

Well it's a diesel. What I'm getting at is - no matter how much you love or hate your Jetta you probably chose it because it's not your average gas guzzler. I do have a love hate relationship with my 04 wagon but everytime I look at the mileage (1200 km) on a full tank a smile breaks through.
  5. V

04 jetta tdi opinion

O4 Jetta work done on mine. Wouldn't start in the cold, PD injectors replaced. Rear brake rotors all warped at about 25,000 km all brakes and rotors replaced. Seat warmer malfunction, replaced something under there, switch or heater. Glow plugs replaced twice on 2 different recalls. Brake...
  6. V

Rear Rotor carrier bolt removal 2004 wagon

My wierd spelling those dam critters that suck all your blood out, with the rain coming down I put up a tarp and it attracted every mosquito in the neighbourhood. Try swatting your head with a wrench in one hand and a bottle of Traditional ale in the other. :rolleyes: Went for the Bilsteins...
  7. V

Hi guys thanks for the response, on a slightly related question I now have to replace my rear shocks. Not that many choices in Ontario for a wagon, (within my budget) - I can get Monroe part no 5136 (sensor trac), or KYB's at full retail price (way over $100 each) or Bilstiens, comfort or...
  8. V

No I live in the county. 1 hour from the nearest city and only 80,000 km on the car in 6 years. Anyway did the job it was a 8mm hex to undo the carrier bolts but were they rusted. Tried to get some from the dealer but they have to order the bolts in. Couldn't install the rotor rear splash...
  9. V

No it's a standard, the first time it went in at 30,000 km (back to the dealer) the rotors were warped and pads had binded to them so the first change was done free. The second set didn't last to long either which is why I'm doing this job myself as I want to check out the calipers to see if...
  10. V

Thanks very much for that quick response. I was wondering as later models need a tool called a triple square and it's a larger bolt. I'm glad it's only a hex makes my life easier. Replacing the rotor splash guards also as they have totally rusted out at 80,000km will be painting the new ones...
  11. V

Hi, I have a 2004 Jetta wagon PD TDI Starting work on replacing rear pads and rotors. I will be removing the calliper carrier bolts behind the rotor to clean up. I've noticed in threads folks mention using a 14 mm triple square tool to remove but when I measured the hole in the bolt it is 8mm...
  12. V

Interior lights not working

It's funny you mentioned that. I did yesterday and the switch was gummed up so now the rear windows are working again. Thanks. Back to the interior lights. Fuse 14 is fine, must be a break in the wire or the door switch has gone. Still waiting to hear back from VW Canada.
  13. V

Will do, I thought it was fuse 14 the 10 amp one second or third row down, which I've replaced. Actually what I did was swap all the 10 amp fuses around to eliminate a fuse problem. Getting voltage from all the fuse boxes, low voltage at every light terminal and the the fact the rear windows...
  14. V

It;s slid to the left so lights come on when door is open. But I've tried it in every position, took every bulb out and the wiring is ionly getting about 2 volts. Do they check it with a Vag Com for the convience controller ? Thanks for the replies
  15. V

Thanks for that, yes could be the culprit or the switch. Fisrt off I want to see what VW Canada say, because spending 2 hours taking off the door and replacing seems like a lot of work for something that is obviiously an inherent fault. I'll bust my nodules to get a recall on these switches.:D
  16. V

Interior lights and electricl problems Well it appears searching through the internet and talking to mechanics that Jetta's are plagued with electrical problems from 1999 or slightly earlier to 2005. So if something hasn't shorted or stopped working on yours it's just a matter of time before...
  17. V

HI all, 2004 Jetta Wagon. Interior lights not working. Checked all the fuses, checked all the bulbs, all okay. Now the rear window up and down switch has failed. Works from the drivers consol but not when sitting in the back. The only interior light working is for the glove box. Any...
  18. V

Engine light on

04 Jetta wagon Came on today as I was at the dealers. Reading was something about the fuel pump heater switch/relay ?, didn't get al the details as was in a hurry. EGD cooler replaced about 3,000 KM ago. Anyone had a similar problem and if so what was it. Thanks. BTW is their a search...
  19. V

Cost of timming belt change

I've been to 3 dealers in the past 2 months not for work just buying anti-gel and other things. In Canada they all have the same booklet at the counter which has a price for different jobs. Timing belt change for a PD runs about $450 Canadian.
  20. V

News on new fix for hard starts after ECU flash

Re: News on new fix for hard starts after ECU flas Thanks for the info 'cmc'. Glow plugs sound good but what is effecting performance? Assuming the injectors are more effecient (otherwise why would VW change them) what's left. What changes to the software does the re-flash make ? After my...