Search results

1. L

91 jetta radio code

I had the instrument cluster out to replace bulbs and unplugged the radio thinking I had the security code in the manual. there was a handwritten one in there. you are supposed to enter that number using the channel selection buttons that go to #6. The code I have has a 9 in it. How does...
  2. L

going to look at this 06

What do I need to be concerned about for this serial numbered vehicle?? I may trade my 00 that I bought new. Just saw it on their lot today and will go and have a closer look/drive tomorrow. leon http://okcarsales.ca/vw-jetta-tdi-sedan-gls-heated-seats-2006
  3. L

I am confused

I was watching a CBC documentary on global warming last night and they were talking about the average two car family putting out 20 tons of pollutant per year with those two vehicles. Now how much can one gallon of gas put out weight wise in pollutant??? I mean a gallon of gas weighs under 10...
  4. L

Valve cover gasket??

About to do my timing belt and notice in all the instructions and kits that a valve cover gasket is not mentioned. What is used on the valve cover for a seal???
  5. L

Gates timing belt No.

I am gathering the parts I need to do my 2000 jetta tdi timing belt and have the Gates belt with part #5559XS on the box and on the belt. This came via ALTROM through my local Lordco parts store. Just want to confirm that it is the correct belt. I Gave them the 038 109 119M number and this is...
  6. L

lost power

I was on a freeway with the cruise on and caught up to a slower vehicle so pulled into the left lane and went to accelerate to pass and the engine lost power. It would not rev up. I pulled to the shoulder and stopped and turned the engine off. It started up and performed as normal for the rest...
  7. L

heater control dash lights out

My son in laws 2000 jetta's heater control knobs no longer light up with the rest of the dash lights. Has anybody had this problem or gotten into replacing lights or fuses or whatever might be the problem. Are there separate circuits for different parts of the dash??
  8. L

excess pressure in valve cover

My son-in-law is experiencing a problem with his 2000 Jetta tdi 5speed. It is blowing oil out the oil filler cap and when he takes the cap off it is under pressure. A lot more than what you would expect. The only modification is an oil separator installed between the ccv and the egr. There...
  9. L

Canadian moving to California

My neice is moving to California to a new job and would like to buy a tdi to take down with her. Can anybody tell me what problems she might have with registration or connect me to the applicable legislation. She is looking for a used one.
  10. L

Trouble on the Road

My son-in-law is on the move from Vancouver to Whitehorse and their first stop today is at our place in the Okanagan. Going up and over the Coquillhala Pass his 2000 Jetta tdi 5 speed lost power and was only capable of 60klms per hour up the hills. One the downhill slopes the car would bletch...
  11. L

A4 timing belt (new twist to the topic)

I was at my purchasing dealer last week and discussed my upcoming 60,000klm belt change. Their explanation of why the prior to certain production number engines require more frequent change and that the new belt will not make any difference is that in the newer cars the timing and pump pressures...
  12. L

Horn alarm

The horn alarm on my 2000 Jetta tdi has started to go off when I open the drivers door either to get in or get out. Anybody know the reason for this and the fix? Thanks.
  13. L

Timing belt mods

Whatever happened to the research that was being tossed around here on the forum about developing a timing chain to replace the belt? That must have been about 8 mths ago.
  14. L

Alternative site for vw TSBs

This site provides the basic topic about what the tsb is about but not the details. I have used it when dealing with the dealer for my 94 Dodge Cummins. Has been helpful but is certainly a far cry from access to the real thing. It also doesn't appear to be that current right now...
  15. L

The Future is Platinum

This product is starting to show up around here. www.pvitech.com any opinions??
  16. L

have you noticed

I was cruising around this site this morning and pulled up a page that showed the numbers of tdi members by state/province. now I can't find it again. anyway the largest number of tdi members was in CALIFORNIA!!!!! which numbered 64 as of the last update which I think was in February/00...
  17. L

91 Jetta td

Just bought a real nice 91 jetta td with 67000 klms for my daughter. I am giving it a complete service including timing belt. I am also using chevron delo 400 and want to know if a 15000 klm service interval is appropriate for that engine and that oil.