Search results

1. E

won't start, clicking sound

Hey folks, We picked up the Beetle in North Bay, ON in January, and drove it back to Canmore, AB. It started strong, drove quite smoothly across 3,200 kms, mileage was decent, so I'm not concerned with any glaring mechanical issues. Then the deep freeze hit, and it hasn't started in over a...
  2. E

Timing belt or chain?

We're getting into a 2013 Beetle TDI - does it have a timing belt or chain?
  3. E

generational mileage comparison/ranking

Hey gang, Based on your knowledge and (preferrably) first-hand experience, which generations of TD/TDI/CDI/PD engines are the most or least fuel efficient? Two friends of mine had separate issues recently that prompted this inquiry - one currently drives a 2006 Jetta TDI and is not getting...
  4. E

Help with adjusting timing 06 Jetta TDI

Hey folks, A friend of mine has a 2006 Jetta TDI getting 500 km to a tank which is just not right. I remember, years ago, having poor torque and low mileage issues with my 1997 Jetta TDI and a member plugged his VAG-com into my car, showed me how the timing was off, and moved the fuel pump to...
  5. E

Venting an A6?

Hey gang, A friend of mine has an A6 but is not (yet) a member of the club. I was mentioning to her a nifty trick to get more mileage - venting. She stopped to fill up and I did not recognize the fuel filler neck (did not look anything like my A3 Jetta or A4 Golf). Is it possible to vent when...
  6. E

Audi's diesel vs. Lexus hybrid. Who wins?

Like you had to ask...the TDI wins, of course! http://www.thestar.com/wheels/article/1051476--audi-s-diesel-vs-lexus-hybrid-who-wins#article (Toronto Star, Sep9, 2011) Upshot: "The A3 TDI diesel betters the CT200h hybrid with more room, a sportier ride and handling package, and a more refined...
  7. E

FS: 1997 Jetta TDI restoration project

Hey folks, I'm in Toronto, so ideally a Toronto buyer would be most appropriate. I don't have all the most accurate information, but I'll spare no words in trying to give you a clear idea of what's happening here. ASSURANCE But first, an assurance - I'm not looking to "dump my problem on...
  8. E

rattling sound when idling

Hello folks, My 2000 Golf TDI makes a strange rattling sound when idling at a stop or tach is under 1000 RPM. Any ideas what this might be?
  9. E

J.D. Power: Hybrids losing popularity to diesels

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/07/17/j-d-power-hybrids-losing-popularity-to-diesels/ At the autobloggreen article, I posted a comment (#5). Just trying to get our message out.
  10. E

emergency brake light flashing on and off

Hey folks, My 2000 Golf TDI periuodically flashes the emergency brake light and chime even though the hand brake is definitely disengaged. What ever could this be? Thanks for any info provided.
  11. E

WHERE do I check/top up power steering fluid?

Hey guys, I have an A3 Jetta and an A4 Golf. I found the A3 filler neck easily, but I've no idea where to locate the A4's. I've got the G002012 Power Steering Fluid genuine Audi VW blackish green stuff - can someone, anyone, tell me where I can find the reservoir? Many thanks, I hope my...
  12. E

Fry fuel: McDonald’s franchisee runs cars on it

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11809771/ Gosh, I distantly remember thinking "hey, I wanna diesel so I can do this" and have since forgotten about it. This article makes it sound so easy, I've gotta reconsider converting mine. But, the question now is, if this article gives people at McDonald's...
  13. E

Hydrogen BMW 7 on horizon

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11837613/
  14. E

diagrams for A3 Jetta and A4 Golf engines

Hey gang, The owner's manuals don't identify the things we talk about in here, and in order to follow some instructions I've received from some fellow members, I need to know what they're talking about (shucks, the A4 owner's manual I have appears to have MISidentified the coolant overflow...
  15. E

won't run above 3,000 rpm AND too much oil means....what?

Hey folks, After 100,000 kms of relatively stress-free driving enjoyment in a car that's paid for, my trusty 97 Jetta is starting to demand an increasing amount of maintenance. Recently, it refused to rev above 3,000 rpm. I noted that the coolant (the pink stuff) was low and topped it back to...
  16. E

underside plastic cover necessary?

Hey gang, Our stable has expanded - we've just added a 2000 Golf TDI along side our 97 Jetta TDI. This week Toronto had its share of the big snow storm. While driving along the snow ruts before plows had cleared this particular street, I drove over a high pile of snow which left the underside...
  17. E

ever get caught with/checked for off-road diesel?

I've been driving my A3 for over 2 years now, and have never been checked. I don't use the stuff, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any stories of being checked for or (heaven forbid) caught with off-road diesel? Please note I'm not concerned in this thread with whether it's good for my car...
  18. E

Opinion on a potential purchase

Hey folks, I currently have an A3 (97 TDI, 220,000 KMs) and I'm considering getting a 2nd car. I'm looking at an A4 ('02) with 250,000 KMs on it, they're asking CAD $10,950. I just test drove it and it was smooth as cream up to 180 kph (er, "so I'm told"). I'm thinking "giddyap" but before I...
  19. E

15" Rims 114.3 (4.5") x 4 bolt - will they fit A3?

15\" Rims 114.3 (4.5\") x 4 bolt - will they fit A3? Hey gang, I don't know what all those measurements mean, so, please feel free to provide an answer to either of the following questions (a short question and a long question): SHORT QUESTION - will these rims fit my A3? LONG QUESTION -...
  20. E

A3 Strange start up problem

Hey folks, My 97 Jetta TDI is having problems starting. I'll put the key in, the battery seems fine (gauges, lights, radio, fan all working fine), but I turn the key and absolutely nothing happens (no crank at all, so I conclude glow plugs are NOT the problem), just silence from the engine...