Search results

1. A

Anyone know the License plate lamp type?

I was looking for a replacement bulb that goes over the license plate for my '00 Jetta. Canadian Tire's little book of replacement bulbs was utterly useless. I think it's a double ended type, but anyone know the trade number for it? Thanks!
  2. A

Winter Tires

I have the Toyo G-02 Observes, and they are awesome for grip and wear. However, I'm now looking at the Kumho KW17 (IIRC the number). Seems like a great tire for the price. You have to keep searching for reviews of tires. Some newspaper sites might be of help, as they usually do new product...
  3. A

Guelph, Ontario to Lake Geneva, WI

This will be the 5th or 6th time I'll be making this trip, for business. Sometimes I fly, but at $0.48/km, I can sure use the money before Christmas. I plan on putting my reimbursement into a set of winters for the 1.8T ;) . Usually it's approx 900 kms each way, depending on the route around...
  4. A

Remove or not to Remove Cover

I've noticed that the cover foam has been rubbing a few places on the fuel lines, and whatnot. So I removed it, since there has been more than one case of fire due to the cover's friction. However, it does a good job of supporting the dipstick tube, which has also been known to crack down by...
  5. A

Cheap Torque Wrench Suggestions??

I have the deflection beam type, because it was more affordable. But I wouldn't trust that its reading is that accurate after 15 years of wrenching to 80 ft-lbs. I eventually will get the click type. Either way, a torque wrench is a must have.
  6. A

No Pella for oil change needed

Good for you if you found a reliable 12V pump. I believe others have tried these motorized vacuums before, but found them to leak after a while. You never hear about the Pella's leaking or breaking down, they're a solid brand. As for the mess, I keep a couple of bleach bottles handy to stick...
  7. A

vibration humming noise

I'm also having a loud hum growing at speeds between 80-100 km/h. I figured out it's bearing on the right side, but how do you determine if it's front or rear? I've had a front bearing go before and it was a lot rougher sounding/feeling, and at lower speeds.
  8. A

Engine Oil Filter Wrench??

I never did like those fluted cap types, nor the metal strap cheapies. The rubber strap is probably the most reliable. Only use it for removal though. You only need it to be hand tight. I use a claw type actually, but am very gentle with it so as not to damage the cap.
  9. A

Check my thinking here

The first one looks like a bad MAF. I believe you get the same code if you disconnect the MAF sensor. ???
  10. A

What's a good replacement antenna (removable part)

Re: What\'s a good replacement antenna (removable p Good choice! It looks much neater and suits the car better than the stock one.
  11. A

keeping my tdi .....Heres why....+++/...

I love the smell of cooked diesel in the morning. 49 mpg 1100 km between fillups.
  12. A

Time to clean the intake?

Probably, but take off the EGR to tell for sure. Or shine a bright light down in there.
  13. A

What's a good replacement antenna (removable part)

Re: What\'s a good replacement antenna (removable p I like the Honda S2000 antenna. It's not floppy, keeps good reception, and fits 1:1. Price was under $20 IIRC.
  14. A

Rough starting after EGR/intake manifold cleaning

It's normal for the very first start to be a bit rough after putting everything back together. Any loose debris that might have fallen into the ports will be getting burned up. And the extra airflow may drag some of that unreachable gunk in the ports in with it. Beads can't be good for...
  15. A

Broadsided on Friday Evening

I'm surprised too. What does it take for the side arm airbags to deploy? As well as the side-curtains (if optioned in the car)?
  16. A

Pella 6000??

I love it for the simple reason that I no longer have to fear stripping the oil pan. Even on my 1.8T where I still have to jack up the car to get to the filter. That particular drain plug always gave me the willies when I torqued it back in. So now, I only suck the oil out. I also do my own...
  17. A

Esso Extra XD-3 0W40

I was in the Walmart the other night looking to see if they had any Delvac1 left. No luck, and they don't carry Mobil Truck & SUV either. Then I spotted this black jug with gold label and checked out the fine print. It had the API CG, CF, CH-4 ratings I was looking for (2000 ALH TDI). Best...
  18. A

Timing belt = new oil pan???

Why else would they replace an oil pan? Favour....my arse.
  19. A

Oil Analysis - Nickle above average

You'll only know if its a concern if the number goes up the next time around.
  20. A

Wont pull in 3rd and 4th

Did they even check the EGR for clogging? If the car was grannied like you think it was, the EGR and intake will most definitely have buildup. You might think it's good now, but once the intake is cleaned it will be even better.