Search results

1. M

Jetta wheel well splash guard

Hi all, On a NB, the front fender splash guard is crucial to preventing water from getting in the air intake box. On the Jetta this does not seem the be the case. Can someone confirm? Thanks
  2. M

Electrical circus.

Hi all, My daughter hit something to ripped the d/s mirror off the 01 Jetta. Immediately, the wipers started going and the high beam dash light came on. Neither were turned on. When she got home, the wipers and rear lights stayed on for a while AFTER the turned the car off. Now, the wipers...
  3. M

progessive immo2 light on 2001 5spd swap car

Hi all, I have done 30k miles on my 2001 5spd swap Jetta. At first, on occasion, the immobilizer light flashed, but after a number of key out/in attempts it would go away for a while. Lately, it has been getting much worse and now happens most of the time making the car unreliable. I have...
  4. M

Switch to mk6?

Anyone on here owned mk4 TDIs and switched to mk6? What's your experience? My crop is 02 Golf TDI 210k many mods (keeper) 02 Golf TDI 295k (would sell) 01 Jetta TDI 195k 5spd swap, lots of new parts (keeping this one) 98 Beetle TDI 220k nothing wrong with it, but everyone in the family hates...
  5. M

Well known long crank issue with 1998 NB TDI

Hi all, It seems this long cranking time issue is an ECU problem. I have a good stock ECU from my 2001 Jetta TDI. Can I swap them? Could that fix the problem? The Jetta is an ALH of course, but the NB engine code is AGR, even though it seems to be the same engine.
  6. M

Heads up on Dorman coolant rec tank

The return hose nipple on my recovery tank cracked and sprayed the engine bay with coolant...nice. I need the car for work tomorrow and the only tank I could find locally was a Dorman from AZ. $48 with a cap which is not terrible once you factor in shipping from an online vendor. It seems to...
  7. M

IP will not prime

Hi all, I just replaced the seals on the IP on my 01 Jetta as it was leaking badly. I have done this before and everything seemed to go fine. Now I cannot get the IP to prime. I used my mityvac at first and it wouldn't pull any vacuum at all. I switched to a topside oil extractor and I can...
  8. M

01 Jetta alh thermostat leak woes

Hi all, I am having trouble keeping a seal on the thermostat o ring. I installed a new OEM thermostat, OEM housing and o-ring. That leaked after a few months (like a big wet patch on my drive), so I replaced the housing and o-ring (OEM again) after cleaning the mounting surface with...
  9. M

Injection pump bolts torque settings

Hi folks, I need to reseal one of my injection pumps. I have been looking without luck for the torque specs. I plan to replace the quantity adjuster, top cover and head seals. Can anyone help? Thanks!
  10. M

Major boost leak - intake manifold crack?

Hi all, I've been driving my 5psd conversion for a couple of weeks and it has a boost leak loud enough than I can hear it at idle and when driving at low speed. I have a boost gauge connected to the hard plastic boost pipe. Under acceleration the gauge reads a spike of 22-24psi (I added a...
  11. M

stock oil pressure sender

Hi all, Is there a way to disable the stock oil pressure sender? I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge, but of course the oil light in the cluster is flashing/beeping. I tried grounding it... Ordered a VDO 240-850 to run both, but for now it would be good to disable the stock sender.
  12. M

Pentofrost SF vs E

Hi all, Is there difference between these coolants? Both are G12 compatible, but Pentosin now says Pentofrost E is for 2006 onwards. Thanks!
  13. M

2 seized water pumps

In the last 3 weeks (one today and on vacation...yay!) I have had 2 water pumps seize, one with 67k miles and the other 87k miles. Both from 100k mile kits. Both purchased in 2011, but in different months and from different, highly respected on here, vendors. Fortunately, I was able to stop...
  14. M

D/S window switch driving me mad - post 5psd swap

Hi all, 5spd swap is all done apart from a couple of issues. I move a few weeks ago and so the car has sat for a bit. Problems - On the driver's door, the driver's window works fine for a few on and offs of the ignition and then it goes dead. Disconnecting the battery seems to 'reset' the...
  15. M

What do you guys use for vacuum pump torquing

What do you guys use for vacuum pump torquing? Hi all, Just curious to hear what tools you guys use for the bottom bolt. Do you go the the trouble of removing the middle coolant glow plug? I tried an open crowfoot, but that won't fit. Anyone try a closed crowfoot? Something like this...
  16. M

new Koni SRT.T ride height

new Koni SRT.T excessive ride height Hi all, I am still working on my 01 Jetta 5spd swap. The car drives well, at least round the neighborhood (no tag yet). I replaced the shocks and struts with Koni SRT.T from ECS, but the tire/fender gap is between 9 and 9.5cm! That's a lot more than the...
  17. M

Need help diagnosing speedometer not working

Hi all, I Just changed the clutch on the 02 Golf TDI. When I pulled the VSS harness plug the VSS broke in two where the three pins are (not not pull or wiggle hard). I glued it back together and installed it. The clutch is all done, but now I have no speed reading on the cluster and the fuel...
  18. M

5spd swap VSS wiring confusion

Hi all, I am most of the way through a 5spd swap. The mechanical steps and most of the wiring are all done. I followed the instructables write up for the wiring part. Good things and confusion; 1. the engine starts fine, but only with the clutch up. Clutch down and no start. I reversed...
  19. M

ALH 5spd conversion dust tin question

Hi all, In preparation for the this conversion I read that I need a 5spd dust tin, but have had no luck. Today I put the auto dust tin in place and turned the clutch/single mass flywheel assembly on the crank flange (not bolted on). The clutch assembly did not touch the dust tin. Am I...
  20. M

WTB: tow hitch for a MK4 GTI

I just need one for a bike rack. LMK! Thanks