Search results

1. P

Help! New Tires Too Noisy!

Note: posted this in the MkV area. Since then I checked the rear wheel bearings- tight with no play. Trying to diagnose this... I have a 06 Jetta Tdi. Needed new tires to replace the Pirelli P6's with 60k on them. Picked up some Yokohama YK580's at Discount Tire. I went a little bigger...
  2. P

Help! New Tires Too Noisy!

I have a 06 Jetta Tdi. Needed new tires to replace the Pirelli P6's with 60k on them. Picked up some Yokohama YK580's at Discount Tire. I went a little bigger than the stock 205-55/16 with 225-50/16. That is supposedly the most one can upsize on the OEM 16" rim. I liked the look of the...
  3. P

Need Help! 06 MKV Jetta Lower Door Hinge

I've had this Jetta for about 2 years. Been using white grease on the door hinges about every 6 months or as needed. My driver's side door was making the popping sound for a few days. Opened the door a few days ago and a metal shim or bushing of sorts fell out. About the same size as a AA...
  4. P

Need Source for 06 Mk5 brm fuel lines

Local shop just said $250 for a set of fuel lines coming off the fuel filter. Only one line is leaking (actually, weeping, you can't see any drips). Only sold by VW, as a matched set, and they are preformed. $250 seems excessive......:mad: Any ideas?
  5. P

Hertz To Offer Jetta TDI

Just got a note from Hertz announcing the Jetta TDI will be available as part of their Green Collection. I travel for business and will rent one just to check it out. I have an 06 Jetta TDI now. Maybe start a you-pick-the-date lottery predicting how long it takes until a renter tops one off...
  6. P

06 Jetta Clutch Noise? Video!

I hear this clunking sound (see video when listening near the wheelwell) when I shift into neutral. Clutch works fine otherwise. I just had a timing belt change, if that matters. Something is not right. 06 Jetta TDI 5 spd manual 165,000 miles on original clutch. http://youtu.be/MlfP-yACfLs...
  7. P

Miller Time!

Just successfully completed two "fixes" today. I have a 2006 Jetta TDI. Bought it 6 months ago. I've had 2 items that needed fixing. One was the trunk release that was sketchy by not closing. Fixed that one by following the thread where the fix involves the adjusting the little spring inside...
  8. P

Timing Belt and 160K Mile Service

2 part question: Timing belt/water pump etc, was replaced at 87K with a 100k belt. My 2006 Jetta is at 160,000 miles as of this week. By my math, the TB shouldn't be due for change until 187,000, approximately. Have a letter from the local VW dealership stating the Jetta is due for the "33...
  9. P

Am I Doing This Right??

Not sure how to title this thread :) 2006 Jetta TDI, 5 spd, 149k miles, bought used from another gent with excellent maintenance records, etc. The car runs great for now and I want to keep it that way. Reading about the "Italian Tune-up". Maybe every other day or so I'll run the car in 3rd...
  10. P

Upgrade/upsize tires on stock rims?

Stock 2006 Jetta TDI with the 205-55/16's. I want to put a little wider tire on the stock rim. HAs anyone here done that? I think I can go to a 225-45/16 and stay with the same rims... Another site tells me I can only go to a 215-50/16. In other words I can only go " 1 size up" before...
  11. P

School Me On VW TDI !!

First post. If info is somewhere in the FAQ's then point me in the right direction... I looked around but it seems I need to first be a TDI owner... 25,000 miles a year in my work. Looking at a diesel. I work for a company that is taking "company cars" and now reimbursing us at 45 cents a mile...