Search results

1. P

Help! New Tires Too Noisy!

Problem solved! Yesterday I jacked the back end up and checked BOTH rear wheels. The previous day I checked only the left rear because I would have sworn that the noise was originating from the left rear. Left wheel was tight. Took the wheel off and it had just a little resistance from the...
  2. P

Case Closed Problem solved! Yesterday I jacked the back end up and checked BOTH rear wheels. The previous day I checked only the left rear because I would have sworn that the noise was originating from the left rear. Left wheel was tight. Took the wheel off and it had just a little resistance...
  3. P

Note: posted this in the MkV area. Since then I checked the rear wheel bearings- tight with no play. Trying to diagnose this... I have a 06 Jetta Tdi. Needed new tires to replace the Pirelli P6's with 60k on them. Picked up some Yokohama YK580's at Discount Tire. I went a little bigger...
  4. P

I have a 06 Jetta Tdi. Needed new tires to replace the Pirelli P6's with 60k on them. Picked up some Yokohama YK580's at Discount Tire. I went a little bigger than the stock 205-55/16 with 225-50/16. That is supposedly the most one can upsize on the OEM 16" rim. I liked the look of the...
  5. P

Need Help! 06 MKV Jetta Lower Door Hinge

Thx Thank you slamhouse! My search skills must be slipping- thanks for the link- :)
  6. P

OK, bumping this thread again. Spent a lot of time looking for a replacement lower hinge.... I saw one post over on vortex with a MKV Jetta with the exact same problem- the lower hinge "bushing or shim" fell out and now the door hinge just POPS when opened. Anyone help a VW "brotha" ?? I'm...
  7. P

Wow, almost 100 views and no comments. No one has had this happen before? I remember finding this site before my TDI purchase and reading a few of the "caveats" about VW's in general. I figured if it has moving parts then there is a chance something will fail. I'm ok with general maintenance...
  8. P

Meaning Behind Your Username

Kind of a reference to the Popeye cartoon character, "Poopdeck Pappy" who was Popeye's father. Pappy had gray hair and beard and was a generally cranky. I have 3 sons. Last name begins with a "D". My sons started referrring to me as "PappyD" I have gray hair and beard and am generally cranky...
  9. P

I've had this Jetta for about 2 years. Been using white grease on the door hinges about every 6 months or as needed. My driver's side door was making the popping sound for a few days. Opened the door a few days ago and a metal shim or bushing of sorts fell out. About the same size as a AA...
  10. P

Jetta Truck Latch Does Not Catch

The thread mentioned by Dcell Mekanick worked for me as well. I did the "spring pinch" trick mentioned by Manual Tranny in the thread. First try though, involved hosing down the whole assembly with various lubes. When that failed I went back in and simply pinched down the spring as suggested...
  11. P

Adding aux. input to factory radio

I have a 2006 with sat button on the radio. The receiver is inthe trunk, right side up underneath the back window deck. All the wires are in plain view. What I did was cut the two output wires that send the audio to the radio in front. I left the wires about 6 inches long, in case I should ever...
  12. P

Anybody keep a jerry can at all times?

Not worth the risk! I read through all of these posts....I 've also been married 27 years. "my wife complained for 2,000 miles....". That was enough to get my attention. While I probably have more hits than misses at this point in my life I can only imagine the scrutiny my wife would lay on...
  13. P

Need Source for 06 Mk5 brm fuel lines

Thanks folks...I should have the Jetta back in a day or so. Having a freewheel/clutch installed. (South Bend Stage 2 SMF). Needed rear bushings in order to complete the alignment job needed after the clutch job. That was some extra dough I didn't plan for. So, when I learned the slightly wet...
  14. P

Thanks all Spoke with folks at "greasworks.com" about bulk high pressure reinforced diesel/biodiesel/fuel lines. He said nothing special about the VW OE lines otherbthan they are preformed. I could cut my own and route them accordingly. Now I need to figure out the ID/OD specs for the...
  15. P

Local shop just said $250 for a set of fuel lines coming off the fuel filter. Only one line is leaking (actually, weeping, you can't see any drips). Only sold by VW, as a matched set, and they are preformed. $250 seems excessive......:mad: Any ideas?
  16. P

Hertz To Offer Jetta TDI

Diesel Fuel Only! Add in another disclaimer to sign. "Diesel Fuel Only" Sticker on the dash under the fuel gage Additional stickers/labels on the fuel access hatch Something on the key fob What else? Hertz offers an option at rental check-in to have them do the refueling for a slight...
  17. P

Hertz To Offer Jetta TDI

Just got a note from Hertz announcing the Jetta TDI will be available as part of their Green Collection. I travel for business and will rent one just to check it out. I have an 06 Jetta TDI now. Maybe start a you-pick-the-date lottery predicting how long it takes until a renter tops one off...
  18. P

Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Great Afternoon What she said! Thanks DCELL for hosting! Pappy
  19. P

Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

These are the Good Old Days? Just lurking and reading.... I had this discussion with my 3 young drivers in our house. Aside from basic transportation hardships for all, young people/students and essentially anyone that just wants to "cruise" pays a high price for that luxury. I'm old enough...
  20. P

Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Thanks Concord- I'll check out Superior Auto. Went to "my" shop this am. (Marathon Station at 116 and Rangeline) Good group, easy to work with, etc. Lots of head scratchin' as in "ya-sounds like a flywheel...might last another year or so...or might break apart real soon..hard to tell"..Not...