Search results

1. Art van Law

Blinking glow plug dash light & CEL code 0544

My JSW at 121,xxx miles required a new battery. In addition to replacing the battery w/ correct one from a VW dealership, I also replaced one of the license plate bulbs. The restart after battery replacement was difficult, with several tries at cranking. After the fourth try, the engine...
  2. Art van Law

A caliper conundrum

I'm looking at the idparts.com page for calipers for my '13TDI JSW and I see there is only one choice (of caliper) for the front. The rear, in contradistinction, have two choices for the left and right rears. One is an OEM part, and the other not labeled as such. There is a significant price...
  3. Art van Law

106K on my '13 JSW, what to replace?

Since I'm about to schedule a TB/water pump/serpentine belt service, and I believe in preemptive maintenance, I would welcome your suggestions as to what I should replace even though it ain't broke yet, preferably based on your hard knock experience w/ failure(s) in this ballpark mileage range...
  4. Art van Law

Windshield Wiper fitment

I bought these wicked expensive silicone wiper blades which Scotty says will last forever. When I went to put them on, I discovered a proprietary wiper arm that looks like nuttin I ever dealt w/ b4. Idparts has a video showing replacement using Valeo blades. Is that my only option, or is there...
  5. Art van Law

Rear suspension problem

I've been away from this forum for about 18 months b/c I sold my 2003 wagon (46.3mpg w/ 143K tracked miles) and have been enjoying a relatively nuttin broke, maintenance free 2013 JSW (41.5mpg w/ 20K tracked miles.) It's been sweet! Recently I noticed that I could no longer fit my shoe b/t the...
  6. Art van Law

Has anyone lifted the JSW MarkVI?

The Metalnerd and ID Parts sites don't offer a lift kit for this model. I was told by a local guru that different springs could provide up to a 1.5" lift w/o the need to swap out the shocks. If you lifted the JSW, what was your experience, what did you use and is it commercially available? Tks
  7. Art van Law

2003 5spd wagon $1200. Cumberland, RI

Fine wreck of a car. This Jetta has been my DD since 2011, now at 334K, time to bid it farewell. Will you be it's 3rd owner and take it to infinity and beyond (or at least to 400K?) https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-vw-tdi-wagon-5spd/6586249039.html
  8. Art van Law

'03 Jetta LF fender, silver $75

Does anyone know if this vintage fender is compatible w/ the Golf or possibly other models? Thanks! https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/03-vw-jetta-lf-fender/6534879249.html
  9. Art van Law

Chevy Cruze diesel, manual 6spd

Now that my '03 Jetta wagon is at 338K and requiring increasingly more attention as components understandably deteriorate, I am looking for a replacement. On paper the Chevy Cruze w/ 52mpg hwy miles intrigues. And they've added a hatchback which I'd prefer over the sedan for the additional...
  10. Art van Law

Cabin heat out of control

The rotary heat control knob is set to blue (counter clockwise all the way) and the blower is set to zero (off.) Yesterday the outside air temperature was 89°F and inside it was 118° w/ all the windows open. There must be a valve that's stuck in the open position that permits engine coolant to...
  11. Art van Law

T-stat, or just too frigid cold?

After the drive to work this morning, I noted that the engine temp was at 150°F (via the scan gauge, not the car's built in gauge.) Typically it would achieve full operating temperature after a 20 minute drive however this morning it was atypically cold (-3°F) when I started the drive and 1°F at...
  12. Art van Law

VW Type 2 Microbus will be history

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/18/vw-type-2-microbus-production-ending-with-kombi-last-edition/ My first and last was purchased new in 1969 by my father at the time. A lot of fond memories, but boy was it ever a mechanical nightmare that required a lot of work and money to maintain road...
  13. Art van Law

Sun roof won't close

It's stuck in the full up position. When I cycle the switch, the motor begins to lower it, but about half way down it reverses direction and returns to the full up position. Up and down, that's all it will do. No, it won't retract rearward at all. I've tried the switch both when at a stop...
  14. Art van Law

sig test

another try
  15. Art van Law

Road trip: RI to Outer Banks, NC

Early Sat., I'll be departing and plan to take 95 to Wilmington, DE, and thereafter 13 to Norfolk and on to Kill Devil Hills. On the way back north on Thurs Apr 19, it'll be local roads to Richmond, and 95 all the way back to PVD. I've printed out the trusted mechanics list, but am now...
  16. Art van Law

Can't turn off windshield wipers!

While driving to work this a.m. w/ sunny skies, the (front) wipers spontaneously came on. The only other event that happened was my low fuel light came on prior to the wipers by about 30 seconds. (probably coincidence) I manipulated the control stalk, tried the washers and then the wipers...
  17. Art van Law

test

18. Art van Law

pictest

testpic
  19. Art van Law

G12 plus plus

So I goes into the local VW establishment for the first time (I'm a new TDIer) and ask to buy a qt of G12 b/c my dash warning indicator light flashed on and I noticed I'm ever so slightly low. I figure I spring for a qt of the right stuff. Unfortunately they only have gal jugs of G12, but the...
  20. Art van Law

How to replace HVAC light?

"The center console HVAC light often burns out. Just pull out the center knob straight out to reveal the light bulb." I get as far as removing the center knob. I see a small narrow bulb centrally located. First I try needle nose pliers, but it won't grip the slippery bulb. Then I try...