Search results

1. Conan

Feeler: '03 GLS Jetta TDI for Parts or Fix

Reflex silver '03 Jetta GLS TDI, ~150K miles, good body and interior. Threw rod. Recent SMF, clutch, and mechanically complete and solid parts car or rare fix'n'flip opportunity or fix'n'keep. Kerma nozzles and tune-- ran great until rod failed. Probably turbo required, too. Have BBS knock-offs...
  2. Conan

Feeler-- '03 Jetta GLS ~140K Denver

It's not officially for sale yet, but I thought I'd put a feeler out there in case somebody is looking. Reflex silver GLS 5-speed, sunroof, Monsoon, heated grey cloth seats. Nozzles, chip and tune (Kerma parts) done by Anuthee in Golden, CO. Currently have nice BBS knock-offs with newish 17"...
  3. Conan

Front Suspension Click?

My '03 Jetta has 140k miles on it, and has been making a loud metallic "clicking" sound (especially in hot weather) for the last few months. On braking to a stop, it sounds like something in the right front suspension is clicking as the front end dives. Same two or three clicks on acceleration--...
  4. Conan

Replacement Door Moulding-- Smooth Available?

When I got my '03 GLS TDI, the PO had somehow bent the front and rear rubber door bump strips (aka "body side moulding") and taped it back down with 500MPH tape. I peeled the wasted LR door strip off, and the front door strip is not too sharp. I ordered a set of aftermarket strips a while back...
  5. Conan

WTB: Pre-ALH TDI/IDI/NA Engine for Tracker Swap

Looking to convert my new-to-me '91 Geo Tracker 2-door Tracker to VW diesel power. Don't want to tackle an ALH-- considering an AHU or 1Z/AAZ and open to ideas. Prefer a running donor car if possible, but not a must. I'm in metro Denver, but would consider a road trip or shipping for the right...
  6. Conan

ID This Engine?

Hi, I'm looking for a pre-ALH engine for a swap project, and recently found this one. It is being represented as a 1989 Golf, but the car looks more like a 1998 to me. Possible Canadian origin. Does this look like an AHU? (The car is 2+ hours drive away, and I'm doing as much homework as I can...
  7. Conan

Heavy Carbon Build-Up in Old Carb'ed Gasser

Scenario: '79 Celica sat for many years, but very rarely driven. 118K original miles. Runs rough, but looks like it has had good maintenance over the years. Plugs 1-3 had very heavy carbon build-up, with one actually bridged across with carbon. At least 2mm of hard black carbon on the outer...
  8. Conan

Welder Help!

Hi all, I've started another project to keep me from dumping a bunch of money into my TDI or Miata. It has forced me to learn to weld for some of the body repair, and I have zero experience welding. I've done some research, and have an idea what's ahead of me. A neighbor (fellow gearhead)...
  9. Conan

Ever had a buyer talk you up, or a seller talk you down?

I've had several very strange car transactions lately, and it has really gotten me thinking. I offered a lady $500 for a long-abandoned '87 CRX Si in her yard. She said she was thinking more like $300, and I had to talk her back up to $400. The car wasn't for sale, and it was as-is. I knew it...
  10. Conan

Winter Questions-- Leave Bumper Lip Off? Hub Nut Caps?

I knocked my lower bumper lip off a while back, and never got around to putting it back on. I think I'll leave it off for the winter. I'll probably just end up knocking it off hitting snow, anyway. Anybody else intentionally leave their's off for the winter? Any downside to leaving it off? I...
  11. Conan

Dealership Experience, VW vs. Honda

My girlfriend has a 2001 Civic that needed to go to a dealer recently. (Turns out that they have a lifetime seatbelt warranty, and she had a microswitch give out in her SB buckle.) I picked a Honda dealer near where I work, and had them do the freebie buckle swap. ($300+ if she had to pay--...
  12. Conan

Selling Car on "Layaway"-- Write My Own Contract?

Hey, I've been bringing a poor, neglected little '87 CRX Si back to life. It blew a fuel pump back in '04, and the young couple who owned it didn't need a two-seater bad enough to fix it. They left it sitting in their yard for all that time. http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2631458964.html...
  13. Conan

Glow Plug Light in Warm Weather at Altitude

I saw somewhere here on the forums that the glow plug light will stay on for a while longer at higher elevations, even in warm weather. If it's below about 50F/10C, I wait for it to go out every time I start it, but I don't sweat it if the weather is over 50F/10C. Just crank and go. I live in...
  14. Conan

Rollin' Coal in the Airport Security Line!

This is awesome. Somebody needs to figure out how to turn this into a GIF. What every diesel guy would love to have in his sig! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUHvpszbilc
  15. Conan

Effect of Car Loading On Fuel Gauge?

I just got back from a three-day road trip in the Jetta. Cruised up to Montana to pick up a project car ('72 Honda AZ600) that has been languishing in storage. Turns out the car wasn't ready to tow, so I just loaded up the Jetta with whatever I could fit. I made the best mileage I've ever seen...
  16. Conan

Screamin' deal on 2000 Golf TDI in CO

Not mine, but this should be shared. Clean 4-door GLS TDI Golf for less than $8K, with 169K miles. I emailed the seller and advised asking more. I would be on that one like a possum on a junebug if I needed two TDIs. http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2511707674.html
  17. Conan

Visual Difference Between 10mm/11mm VE Pumps?

I have a possibility of getting an injection pump from an ALH, but the seller doesn't know if it came off of a manual or an auto. I've been on the lookout for an 11mm pump to keep up with future mods. I can possibly trade some tires for it, but I have no use for another 10mm pump. I told the...
  18. Conan

"Floating" Disk? Car Fell Off Jack-- Hub Damage?

I was stoked to be doing my first autocross race today, and had a bit of a glitch in getting ready for the race. Long story short, I tried to change all four wheels ASAP on hard-packed dirt shoulder. On the right front, the jack shifted and dropped the car. I had all but one lug bolt out when it...
  19. Conan

Where Do Modded TDIs Fit in SCCA Autocross Rules?

I attended my second SCCA SOLO event last weekend, and I'm going to "race" in my first event next weekend. I went through the rules, and a tutorial on how to tell what class you're in, and determined that I should be in the FSP class ("F" class, with "street prepared" modifications)...
  20. Conan

MB 300D Information

I have a motorcycle up for sale or trade, and a fellow in northern CA says he might be interested in trading an '87 Mercedes Benz 300D for it. I know some of you on this forum have or had one of these. How are they? What kind of bugaboos should I look for? Are there known, high-dollar...