Search results

1. Y

replacement key

Most major urban centers would have a place that does this... Try some place like https://mrlocksmithmn.com/volkswagen-replacement-keys/ to see if they're close enough to your location..
  2. Y

Who uses a quickjack?

When I had my garage built, I had them pour a five-inch floor rathern than the four-inch one they ad planned, thinking I'd eventually get some type of hoist... but... I really don't trust the integrity of the floor to hold anything like a quick-jack or better... unless the floor was specifically...
  3. Y

replacement key

Where are you located? A 2001 key shouldn't be too difficult to replicate... look on Craigslist / Kijiji... any master locksmith should be able to do this as well...
  4. Y

Southern Ontario Mechanic Reviews Thread

Is there a current "favorite" place in the GTA to get a windshield replaced? Our 2016 Sportwagen's windshield (one of those newfangled "rain-sensing" units) developed a crack... it'll probably be expensive, no matter where I get it done... I used to go to a place up on Toryork, but it's been...
  5. Y

Official Ontario stuff for sale thread

>> If I had a Mk4 I'd be looking to get that engine back... << Ha... that engine had the turbo die just after the car passed 1,000,000 km... I just got back on the 401 heading to the Big Cabbage... smoked away until I got to Belleville and rented a car... The police eventually flagged me down...
  6. Y

Official Ontario stuff for sale thread

I see that someone has been looking for a Mk4 Wagon cargo cover... (once upon a time...) Since all my 2003 ALH wagons have had the bodies rot away, I've got lots of spare parts sitting around... Since I believe a price must be mentioned... how about a cargo cover... $50 or best offer... (for...
  7. Y

6 speed manual brake fluid bleed order

Gee... this new-fangled "post-bleeding" sounds just like the old-school way of bleeding brakes that goes back a century or so...
  8. Y

Dealer says $500-$550 for new battery

I've heard of "lifetime warranty" claims being denied on account of the merchant attributing the demise of the battery to a faulty charging system - whether true or not...
  9. Y

ALH IP front shaft seal replacement pictorial with subtitles ;)...

Sorry it took me so long - I haven't been frequenting this site for a little while... all our 2003s are currently non-functioning, and I haven't had time (or energy) to get around to fixing them... so for the time being, we got a 2016 gas-powered (Sacrilege!!!) Sportwagen... miss the ALH... A...
  10. Y

ALH IP front shaft seal replacement pictorial with subtitles ;)...

I have the original post - including photos - saved as a PDF... but I can't figure out how to upload it here...
  11. Y

Clutch hydraulic line leak at slave

As was stated.. it's a pain, but it's do-able... BTW - contrary to some of the postings out there, the little clip that holds the line to the master cylinder IS removable on my cars, so... care must be used... (an extra-long set of long-nose pliers is helpful...) PS: the part number for the...
  12. Y

OK... I give up... how does one get at the other end of the Clutch Hose (at the Master Cylinder) ?? I would hope you don't have to unbolt the ABS pump... I've been searching for a guide online, but none of them show you how to gain access...
  13. Y

I'll try to "borrow" a slave and a hydraulic line from my parts car - if I can figure out a way to get at the attachment to the master cylinder... it looks very tight in there...
  14. Y

2003 Jetta... lost the clutch, so I bled the system and noticed that it had been leaking where the line joins the slave cylinder. So I replaced the "O" ring (from the kit numbered 1K0 721 741... (I know it's now been superceded by 1K0 798 741). Still leaks... now these kits come with 2 "O" rings...
  15. Y

Loose IP Mounting Bolt Need Opinions

About 10 years ago I put a (used) pump in a used engine and found out I couldn't torque one of the bolts... so I drilled out the hole in the pump and put a regular bolt and 2 nuts from the hardware store down the street... it's still there, and the engine's run over 341700 km with it... (can't...
  16. Y

2003 Jetta Wagen just passed a million KM... now what?

Wow... you've done a ton of work... I got a headache reading your linked thread, but will return to it soon... I have a Hex-USB+CAN cable, and somewhere in the world I have an old serial clone cable (probably packed away with a laptop that hasn't worked in years...) I also have some other...
  17. Y

No... I have VCDS and can read the ECU from time to time... I'd love to get something that will resemble a functioning odometer / cluster... I know that just getting a junkyard cluster won't work due to the immobilizer issue... (I'm sure my friendly local VW dealer would be glad to assist...
  18. Y

Of course, the odometer went to all dashes... (perhaps that's why it's called a dashboard...) Is there a not-terribly-expensive way to get something working in there? I know there used to be someone in the U.S. that could reset the clusters, but... we're in Canada, and with the border closed...
  19. Y

What should I be looking for when buying a "fixed" MK6 wagon?

Are they selling "fixed" Mk6s in Canada? I thought that was only a U.S. thing... Y.
  20. Y

Clutch - Master or Slave cylinder?

Follow-up - the leak was not from the "O" ring... it was from the actual hose assembly - where the hard line enters the "plug" that actually fits inside the slave cylinder. That's now fixed (with J.B.Weld) and there are no more leaks. However: after bleeding it the first time, the following...