Search results

1. kvndoom

2010 TDI golf confirmed for North America

I haven't posted on here in years (mainly because I sold my TDI in 2007, which still makes me sad), but I have to say that I am EXTREMELY hyped about the MkVI Golf! VWoA made a mistake by not giving us a TDI Rabbit, but it seems clear that they've realized that. I have few doubts that this...
  2. kvndoom

VW counting on new cleaner diesels

Give me a 5-speed TDI Rabbit, dammit! VW wouldn't be able to keep those on the lot if they brought them over. I can't wait to test drive one of those new engines. Been thinking hard about a 4-door GTI, I just love hatchbacks so much. But an announcement of a TDI Rabbit would change everything.
  3. kvndoom

A VW memo on the Vortex, the Diesel Future?

I'm still ticked that this had to happen now. I wanted a Mark V Golf/Rabbit TDI. Once I found out there would be no such thing (not in the US, not for a long while if ever), I stopped waiting and got a Mazda 6 for my second car. To me the Jettas are butt ugly, and anything else in VW's TDI...
  4. kvndoom

Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kcra/20060508/lo_kcra/3452610
  5. kvndoom

Detroit News: Truck Prices Rising - VW Mentioned

Yummy, MORE inflation to look forward to. As the cost to transport goods goes up, the cost of said goods rises as well. The EPA is starting to grate my nerves. Feels like I'm getting punished to drive a fuel-efficient vehicle. The artificially-inflated diesel prices at the pump are bad...
  6. kvndoom

Glow plugs replaced already

Yeah, that's what it was. They replaced the brake light switch today. I was really worried at first... though finding out I had no brake lights wasn't very reassuring in itself...
  7. kvndoom

Glow plugs replaced already

HMPH! My glow-plug light just started flashing this morning on the way home from work. 15 months and 21,000 miles. I'm trying to make an appointment now. Ugh!
  8. kvndoom

Safe to drive near speed limit to save fuel?

I hate driving on the interstate. After I got a bad reckless driving ticket last year (the END of my speeding days), I was on a year's probation. 30 days in the bighouse if I got another ticket before this past April 19th. So I HAD to do my very best not to speed (5 or 6 over the speed limit...
  9. kvndoom

1st year fuel mileage- 2004 Golf PD 5M

I'm supposed to be in bed, so I'll keep this brief. I didn't have all my fuel receipts like I had thought, so Ihave about 4,000 miles unaccounted for. But I think the numbers I did get should be right around my overall average. Most of my driving has been city, I'd say between 60 and 70...
  10. kvndoom

Starting "problem"

Re: Starting \"problem\" Ah, must not be American. "Nice ride" is a compliment that he thinks you have a very nice car.
  11. kvndoom

Fuel Mileage on PD

I'm just at 13,000 miles. On all-highway trips, I get between 46 and 48 (hit 50 once!), city-only I get around 36 to 40, and low 40's mixed driving. My most miles from one tank was 720 miles (vented), as posted here: http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22187 One day I'm gonna take a...
  12. kvndoom

VW Releases official Pics of new Jetta

I'm with Compu_85 on this one. It looks way too Japanese. Actually, it could almost pass for a Saturn Ion. Yuck!
  13. kvndoom

700 Mile club Who's in?

700 Mile club Who\'s in? I'm In! My PD hit 700 on Labor Day. Fuel light came on at 692, and I filled up at 706. About 15.8 gallons, I think (receipt's in the car). MPG averaged out to 44 and change for the tank. It was about 250-300 miles city driving, I'd estimate, and the rest highway...
  14. kvndoom

a quart per 1000 miles?

well, it's below the hash. it's below the bottom bend! i checked it at school last night (which alerted me to a possible problem), i checked it before leaving work, after i posted last, and i checked it when i got to the dealership. i was on as level ground as i could possibly be both times...
  15. kvndoom

a quart per 1000 miles?

thank you! i will follow those instructions to the letter and post my results later.
  16. kvndoom

a quart per 1000 miles?

fish story??? well by all means, please enlighten me on the TSB and the "proper" means by which to check my oil. i'd sooner know i was doing something wrong than make a fuss over it.
  17. kvndoom

$2.75 a Gallon! ! ! This has gone far enough. . .

dang, i only just paid 1.579 a gallon here in newport news, va, at a shell station no less. it's a truck stop too, right off the interstate, which may be why their diesel prices are lower. but gas is like 1.789 and up around here, for 87 octane, so i'm happy. but 2.75 goes above and beyond...
  18. kvndoom

a quart per 1000 miles?

i noticed my '04 golf PD was fairly low on oil, at only 3000 miles, so i called up the VW dealer nearest my home (not the one i bought it from) to see if they had 505.01 in stock. i told the parts guy that it was low and he said a new car shouldn't be burning that much oil, so he transferred me...
  19. kvndoom

2004 TDI's banned from registration in N.Y.;Why?

2004 TDI\'s banned from registration in N.Y.;Why? [ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ] Gotta love that last one... it's not just that the regulations changed and "oops!" the TDI engine didn't pass... they're specifically limiting diesel sales. [/ QUOTE ] Depends on what diesel you are talking about. In...
  20. kvndoom

Break-in Period

ok, i wish i had found this thread sooner. i've been using cruise and shifting low for the first 1000 miles (been driving it like a gasser ). i'm going to adopt the shifting schedule suggested here, but i didn't read a definitive answer as to a good cruising rpm. should i drive it in town as...