Search results

1. T

FS: 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI Auto

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5699387316.html Reflex Silver 2003 VW Jetta Wagon GLS TDI Diesel with automatic transmission. Single owner. All maintenance except for timing belt done by owner. Still runs well with auto transmission recently serviced. A little body rust on...
  2. T

Vox.com - Europe's love affair with diesel cars has been a disaster

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/15/9541789/volkswagen-europe-diesel-pollution *sigh* From when this whole thing started, I've been wondering if this is going to spell doom for Diesel passenger vehicles in the US. This is making it look more and more likely. Unfortunate, since I like my TDI...
  3. T

Can't put in new glow plug

So, a year or so back I replaced three of the four glow plugs in trying to get rid of a CEL. I didn't replace the 4th because it was such a PITA. Well, the 4th seemed to go so I went to replace it. It came out just fine, but when I put the new one in, it stopped at a certain point and...
  4. T

Glow plug replacement issue

So, a year or so back I replaced three of the four glow plugs in trying to get rid of a CEL. I didn't replace the 4th because it was such a PITA. Well, the 4th seemed to go so I went to replace it. It came out just fine, but when I put the new one in, it stopped at a certain point and...
  5. T

The return of limp mode

Ok, I'm at my wit's end here. For a good piece of last year I tried getting to the bottom of the problem, reaching the end of my abilities after struggling to replace the vacuum hoses. I took it into my local mechanic, and after spending way too much for him to clean my intake manifold, it...
  6. T

Replace coolant temp sensor AND thermostat?

Ok, my car has been throwing codes for the past couple of months. Finally checked it with VAG-COM and it seems to be the coolant temp sensor. Given I had time eaten up by my car being in the body shop for 10 days (don't ask) and that I'm up against it to get my car inspected, I took it in to...
  7. T

Anyone in the NVA area want to help me diagnose a limp mode problem?

I'm kinda at the end of my rope, so I'm posting here. Since April I've been having limp mode problems. All my actions so far seem to alleviate the issue for a time then it comes back with a vengeance. Unfortunately, ninedee_golf_tdi has either been out of town or too busy to help much. I've...
  8. T

New intercooler pipe - What's this?

I've been having limp mode problems lately and the mechanic I took it to suspected that the damage done to the intercooler pipe when I had an emergency alternator replacement last fall could be the cause of it. So, I ordered a new pipe from Impex (1J0-145-770-T) and this is what came: That...
  9. T

Air bag module needs to be replaced. Options?

For the past few months, I've had an Air Bag light on. For the most part I ignored it because I didn't have time to take it somewhere where they can figure out what is going on. But, it is time for VA inspection, and the Air Bag system is required to be working to pass inspection. So, I have...
  10. T

Hesitation and lots of smoke - blown turbo?

Ok, so in the past week I've had the car start going into limp mode with heavy acceleration. Things seemed to perform better with the MAF unplugged, so I ordered a replacement MAF. I replaced it and things seemed to be going OK yesterday until I got the WW bridge and I started getting some...
  11. T

Broke nipple on anti shudder valve. Replace?

Ok, I was trying to replace the hose to the anti-shudder valve because the line had a hole in it. Unfortunately, I broke the nipple off in trying to remove it. So, what do I need to do to replace it? I noticed there were two bolts to take it off, but it is still attached. I don't want to...
  12. T

FS: USA Spec 6 Disc CD changer for A4 Jetta

I've got a USA Spec CD changer that used to be in my Jetta Wagon. It is a plug-in replacement for an OEM CD changer. It worked great in my car, but it is time to pass it on. I'm selling it for $80 plus shipping or best offer. Jason
  13. T

Gypsy Cab Project (Rabbit sighting)

Didn't see an article for it, so I'm posting a new one. http://www.gypsycabproject.com/ Basically, putting a guy in a Rabbit who is new to NYC, and having him fend for himself as a cabbie. Jason
  14. T

Roof boxes: How big can I go for a Jetta Wagon?

As someone now with a kid, and an event that I go to every year with my wife, I now need to create more room to transport stuff, so I'm in the market for a roof box. What I'm looking for is people with personal experience with these boxes to say what works for them for a Jetta Wagon, and what...
  15. T

Jetta OEM bra - no snaps

Just bought an unused bra from someone else. Unfortunatly, I noticed later that it is supposed to have snaps that go in the wheel well. Well, whatever goes in the wheel well didn't come with mine. I haven't contacted him yet, but I have a feeling he probably doesn't have them. Any way I can...
  16. T

Odd New Beetle commercials

In the past few days, late night on Cartoon Network, of all places, they have been running "Force Of Good" New Beetle commercials. I don't really get what the point is. They generally involve the New Beetle in a "showdown" situation with something. The two I've seen so far involve an alarm...
  17. T

Eek! Slightly melted my Pela..

I did my 50K oil change last night. Mostly successful, but I guess I didn't wait long enough before puting my Pela into the dipstick, because part of the plastic covering around the tube got melted and the flexible part underneath got exposed. I was able to finish, wrapping that part in duct...
  18. T

WP: Diesel Won't Solve Our Gasoline Woes.

WP: Diesel Won\'t Solve Our Gasoline Woes. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/07/AR2005080700888.html Diesel Won't Solve Our Gasoline Woes By Michael D. Tusiani Monday, August 8, 2005; Page A15 Automakers are eager to sell you a diesel-powered vehicle. One of their...
  19. T

FS: USA SPEC OEM compatible CD changer

This is not the OEM changer, but one that is compatible. CD changer fits fine in the slot on my wagon. Works great. For 98-05 cars. Here is the listing on Crutchfield for it. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1qL9NtWp0E4/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=581SCDVW44 Selling it for $175, including shipping...
  20. T

New record on my slushbox: 42.5 MPG

I'm pretty happy with my trip back from Ohio. I not only managed to break 41, but with style. Got 633 miles and the fuel light went on right before I hit the gas station. On the next tank, I got 40 with lots of highway driving and 613 miles. Pretty happy. Jason