Search results

1. C

WTB: ECU for 2000 VW Beetle 1.9L TDI automatic

My ECU got fried by a "helpful" coworker who gave me a jump and connected the jumper cables backwards. I can't afford a new one at over $1000, so I'm wondering if anyone has one from a car that's being parted out or knows of a place I could order one. eBay doesn't have any for a TDI right now...
  2. C

anyone familiar with toyota corolla diesels?

my bf has an 84 toyota corolla diesel he is very attached too that has been sitting at his mother's house for a year. he found out today it must be moved by tuesday or it will be towed. we went over to check it out today. it has a new battery, full tank of fuel, and he added oil to it. it...
  3. C

Serious power loss problem!!

Serious power loss problem!! UPDATE my 2000 new beetle tdi was at the shop a couple months ago to fix a turbo problem (a valve was stuck). Since then, the car has had poor power performance. We attributed it to perhaps the shop reset the computer to stock and the car isn't stock. it has PP357...
  4. C

2000 beetle engine issue!!!

Yesterday morning, my boyfriend was on his way to work with my 2000 beetle TDI when he heard a "pop" and the engine cut out. When he attempted to restart it, it didnt' turn over normally and rattled and clattered and shook the dash and everything so he stopped. We've had it towed to the shop...
  5. C

tranny refusing to get out of park

OK: I was camping this weekend and my car was doing fine. Then I went to the ranger station and stopped my car. It was coldish outside (45 degrees F) and when i started my car back up again, the brake indicator on the tranny wouldn't go off when i depressed the brake and the car woudl not get...
  6. C

Anyone know a trustworthy TDI mechanic?

SInce I'm moving, I'll be too far away from the VW dealer I actually like and doesn't try to screw me over. I also can't do any maintenance myself(no room, no tools). SO, can anyone recommend a good TDI mechanic in the SF bay area, specifically on the Penninsula where I can take my NB tdi in...
  7. C

Worried about short commute to work

Hi there. I'm in the process of moving closer to my job and instead of driving 85 miles round trip a day to work, I'll be driving maybe 4 miles round trip. I"m really worried about this damaging my TDI. Are their any suggestions out there on what I could do to keep from damaging it. Would...
  8. C

Cali to MN and back

Hi All! I just got back from a trip home to see my parents. I took my 00 NB and my cats (argh!). I took I-80 to I-35 to I-90. First off, I-80 is about the most boring freeway ever. That being said, I drove 1970 mi. in 2 days without breaking the speed limit to get to MN. I averaged 39mpg...
  9. C

Question regarding shifting an automatic

Ok, I've been reading some of the posts regarding when to shift a 5 speed, and hearing about Italian tune ups (revving to 4k rpms). Would it be bad for my automatic tranny to start in 1st, get up to 4k rpms, then shift to 2nd, 3rd, then drive, getting up to at least 3500rpms each gear? I want...
  10. C

towing questions

This weekend, my NB tdi, the bf, and I are embarking on a camping trip in Nor cal(approximate 4 to 5 hour drive) with a teardrop trailer. Trailer weighs about 800 pounds loaded. I've never towed anything with a car before, only with pickups or vans. Would it be ok to have cruise control on...
  11. C

What additives should I use?

I currently add Stanadyne to my tank with each fill up and I was wondering what other additive(s) should I add? A centane booster of some sort? What about DieselKleen or something like that? What do you all suggest? thanks:) ChugBug
  12. C

Update on beetle that Uhaul messed up

I got my baby back from the Uhaul place in vacaville and the fuel gauge now works and the wiring works with the trailer. Yay! One of the brake lights is out on the car (mechanic figures the other folks blew the bulb when they wired it wrong), and it is missing the wingnut to hold the taillight...
  13. C

uhaul screwed up my beetle!!

Ok, so i took my NB to uhaul today to get a hitch installed and wiring done. Well, after 5 HOURS (this is a 1.5 hour job people) it is done. But guess what? That is right, as I drive down the street, my fuel gauge is screwed up. When teh car is off, the gauge reads 1/2. When I start the car...
  14. C

Do Automatic NBs have a tranny cooler on them??

I went to uhaul today to get my hitch installed and the wiring. I also wanted a tranny cooler since i have an automatic. Well, once they got over the fact that I wanted a hitch on a beetle, and that it was a DIESEL (oh my god!), they opened him up and took a look. They said they could see the...
  15. C

actual tank capacity when venting

Ok, I did the venting thing today on my 2000 NB. I started out with little less than a quarter of a tank (found a great price on fuel, couldn't pass it up). Ended up putting little over 12 gallons in it. Since it is a 14.5 gallon tank, how much fits in there when fully vented? I vented until...
  16. C

Venting questions

Ok, I recently purchased a 2000 NB and I have a question about venting. Now, I was told to never top off the tank because diesel expands. Isn't venting like topping off the tank? Do you only vent if you are going to drive a long distance immediately afterward and therefore will be using at...