Search results

1. C

MK6 Golf vs NMS Passat questions for those who have experienced both...

I know there have been threads before, but this is a bit different from the usual price, mpg, etc differences. Just trying to see how a 2013 6M Passat SE would stack up against a 2dr MK6 6M Golf before checking out myself. This is arranged in order of importance to me... 1) Wind noise....I...
  2. C

Any Sirius subscribers?

Have they added a way to cancel your subscription online again yet? You used to be able to do that, but they eventually took it away. I did a $77/yr promotion years ago, but my god was it painful canceling when it was up. It was just as bad as AOL back in the day. Anyhow, got a 6mos for $25...
  3. C

Bit of a delima....may have to move to a gasser soon.

Looks like I'll be moving in under a year, where I probably won't need to drive more then a few miles at a time. Certainly not ideal for these cars. What do you think the min amount of time these cars need to keep the works free and dpf regened and all? I already have and like the car so I'm not...
  4. C

Time to beat the dead/replacement battery horse. HELP PLS!!!

So my battery kicked the bucket. I know there is a lot of debate on which battery to use mainly due to having enough amp hours...but alas I cant find anything cut and dry for MK6 when I need it! I'd rather take care of this today, Sunday, so OEM battery at the dealer is out if a suitable sub...
  5. C

Mildly entertaining conversation with a NJ pump jockey about diesel cars.

Stopped in a Wawa to fill up yesterday. A short time after I started pumping, I hear a couple excuse me sirs and see one of the pump jockeys walking quickly towards me. I thought great, here comes another round of your putting the wrong fuel in your car or gripe about handling the pump myself...
  6. C

PSA: Our "maintenance free" battery is not maintenance free

My VW would not start this morning. The little indicator window was clear, which on the sticker it says clear = change battery, black = good. The outline for the service port on each cell was barely perceptible under the sticker, so I decided to peel back the stickers....and sure enough...
  7. C

How would you approach dealer service dept with DTC?

Check engine light came on the other day...I have VCDS...was for O2 sensor...cleared it, came back a couple days later. When I take it in, you think it's better just to play dumb and say the check engine light is on....or would it be OK to tell em the light's on for an O2 sensor which I...
  8. C

VCDS...9W7...base volume question

77 under telephone control has setting for "base volume of speech output" . Just trying to get some clarification of what exactly this is adjusting. Is this setting to adjust the volume level of what is being fed in from the phone? Or is it to adjust the volume of the car's voice prompts...
  9. C

Anyone swap footwell lights for red LED?

Been thinking about this for awhile, but on a little buying spree right now for minor odds and ends like that for the golf so I guess it's time. Since most the illumination inside is red, it always struck me as a little odd that the footwell lights are white. I think red would be a better fit. I...
  10. C

20k service today...what would you do?

Took it in today for the 20k. Requested the leftover oil same as last time for future top off as well as proof of correct oil, and got it. Pollen filter changed which seems to be the item missed most frequently if anything. One thing I did notice after the fact is fuel filter is not mentioned...
  11. C

Here's a new one...Wonder if VW will actually fix it.

Was checking the tire pressure this afternoon and something caught my eye....One of the brake pad clips on the back left side was missing along with a set of nice grooves in the rotor that match the width of them exactly. The rotor is what actually caught my eye initially, but dont know why I...
  12. C

Had to give up the golf for a Kia for a week.

Went on a trip for business and got stiffed with a Kia Forte for a rental. Wow it felt good to get back in the golf again. Night and day difference haha. :D That Kia had terribly numb steering, poor handling, slow, and what got me the most was poor MPG. On one hand, it is a Kia, and (the...
  13. C

Tunes and state emission testing....

I recently had my F150 inspected here in NJ which is the first time I've gone through with the new emissions only standard they changed to a couple years ago. It appears that the ONLY thing they do is hook up to the diagnostic port to check for codes....no sniffer at the tail pipe or anything...
  14. C

Regular premium 8 to dynaudio retrofit.....

For the right price, is this worth doing? Reason I ask is awhile back I ran across the full set of speakers, amps, and even harnesses gutted from a jetta on ebay, which went for a bit under $300 if I remember right. I really wanted to jump and ask questions later, but the auction ended the day...
  15. C

Which plastic types are good for storing additives?

Been using 8oz empty water bottles for single serve convenience of DK. While the bottles are good, the caps dont last more then 2 or 3 uses before going bad...so the caps are an incompatible plastic I guess. Anyhow, looking at getting a handfull of bulk 6 or 8oz bottles to divide out and store...
  16. C

Not all VW service dept's are horrible....just had the 10k done...

I gotta admit, after seeing a lot of the stuff on here I half had the expectation to be changing the oil and all myself right behind them (which I would do anyways if it wasnt for the included maintenance). Anyhow, I asked the service advisor about keeping the remaining .5L of oil as a test...
  17. C

Any central NJ people with TDI dealer service experiences?

Time for the 10k on the Golf. Actually it was due over a month ago but I have just got back from overseas. With all the usual dealer stories about using wrong oil etc in these cars, I am curious if anyone in the area can chime in with their experience with all that with dealers in this area...
  18. C

My poor Golf

I leave the country for a couple months, and the poor thing had to sit through record rainfall, an earthquake, a hurricane, and who knows what else out in the open in a parking lot. Hopefully it's still fine. Wont find out for another 3 or 4 weeks. :eek:
  19. C

Free sat radio for 2 weeks....check it out if your trial is over and you dont subscr.

Saw over on vortex lots of people have gotten emails stating XM/Sirius is free for 2 weeks (as of 24 May it looks like). I didnt get any email, but the next time in the car I hit the sat button to see if it works since my trial is up and I dont subscribe. It's working, so must be an automatic...
  20. C

Bosnia sure loves their TDI's

I've been in Sarajevo for a few days. There are TONS of them in all flavors around. Sort of the same as how we are awash in camrys and accords at home. :D