Search results

1. flyboy320

Is this the correct filter for DSG?

Looking at some Youtube videos, the filters look different than this one. Does anyone know if this is the correct DSG filter for a 2012 TDI?
  2. flyboy320

Installing dash cam on black rain sensor area OK?

I am going to install a A118c dash cam in my Golf, and this particular model attaches with 3M tape near the top of the windshield. The upper windshield has black dot pattern on it where I want to attach the camera. Would it be safe to use the 3M tape attachment on this part of the windshield or...
  3. flyboy320

Should I contune to use Mobil 1, or is there a better oil?

Should I contune to use dealer's Castrol Edge LL03 or switch? I have been doing my own oil changes since I got my car new and have been buying the oil at the dealership (Castrol Edge LL03) and keeping those receipts in case of any problems down the road and it needed warranty work done. It's...
  4. flyboy320

Question about changing

Question about changing oil pan gasket I was looking at VW Canada's web site for their recommend maintenance schedule and at 60,000KM once of the things it mentions is changing the oil pan gasket. Does anyone do this? Volkswagen Original Replacement Parts; Transmission Oil Pan Gasket...
  5. flyboy320

Will this funnel work for the topside DSG service?

Living in Canada our Walmart does not sell the funnel most people use, so I got this and would like to know first if the tube is long enough (same length as the one people use from Walmart), and if the end looks like it will fit in the DSG? It does have an on/off built into the blue part.
  6. flyboy320

Where to get tubing for brake bleeding job?

As the title says, I'm going to do my brake bleeding soon (using the Motive Brake Bleeder), and need to buy the tubing to connect to the bleed nipple on the brake housing. Does anyone know the correct size I need and where the best place is to buy it (fish/pet store, pool store, etc.)?
  7. flyboy320

VCDS and measuring block channel 3.3?

I have a Polar FIS advanced module for my 2012 TDi and one of the paramters it displays is EGR. I am trying to find out more info on this, like first is it the LP or HP EGR info. From the developer of the Polar product he says it is measuring; Did a quick search on Ross-Tech but couldn't come...
  8. flyboy320

My findings with blocking the front grill & IC icing issues

This is the second season/winter my car has seen, and so far I haven't experienced this issue (I live near Toronto, so the car does see lots of cold winter temperatures). What I did last year and this year was to completely block off the front grill (upper and lower) with pipe insulation, as...
  9. flyboy320

can anyone identify this nut cover?

Pulled the engine splash shield today for my oil change, and found this sitting on it towards the rear, and on the drivers side. Any idea where it's from?
  10. flyboy320

Cracked front fog light lense

Cracked front fog light lens Just noticed my lower front fog light lense is cracked. Can you just replace the lenses, or does the whole light have to be replaced? Is this something that's easy to do yourself or do you have yo remove the whole front bumper?
  11. flyboy320

Shipping used oil for analysis from Canada to USA?

I am trying to ship my oil sample from Canada to Blackstone labs in the US, but my local Fedex is claiming it's a dangerous good if the quantity exceeds 30ml (and I think the sample bottle is roughly 100ml). So I figure I'll try Canada Post instead. Has anyone had any luck sending it through...
  12. flyboy320

Is there a published torque value for bleeder screws?

I know most people say tight, but not to tight... ;) But I'm wondering if there is a published torque value?
  13. flyboy320

Help with rear brake bolt part numbers.

I am planning on doing some preventive maintenance on my rear brakes, and see there some bolts that are one use only (due to them being stretched when tightened). I am only going to remove the caliper and lube the sliders so I don't need to remove the carrier. I went to my local dealer and he...
  14. flyboy320

Resetting service now message

I have done my scheduled maintenance (10,000 miles), but was done about 500 miles early. If I reset the service counter, will it tell me the next maintenance is due at 19,500 or will it still show/remind me at 20,000 miles?
  15. flyboy320

Want to top off coolant and check for leaks.

My golf is about 9 months old, and about 8000 miles on the clock. I was looking under the hood today and noticed the coolant level is below the min level (about 1/2" below, and checked when car was cold) . So I want to top it off and check to make sure I'm not loosing any. Guess anything is...
  16. flyboy320

What's this part just above oil drain plug?

Changed my oil yesterday for the first time and noticed a small amount of black (what I assume is oil), dripping from this part (circled in red, it's clean now, but small black oil hanging there before it was cleaned). It is located right above the oil drain plug. The picture is taken looking...
  17. flyboy320

OEM fuel filter or aftermarket one?

Looking to change out my fuel filter (1k0127434B) and see IDParts sell one for a good amount less than my dealer. Anyone know if the the one places like IDParts sell (made by Mann) are as good as the dealer ones?
  18. flyboy320

Sweating of injector normal?

I have a 2012 Golf with about 5,000 miles. I pulled the engine cover off and poked around, and saw what looked like an injector with a small amount of moisture/diesel/whatever seeping from it (see picture). There is no pooling, just a very small amount, just enough to darken the surrounding...
  19. flyboy320

Anyone know why I'm getting this error with CAN gateway?

I have done a few mods with my Ross-Tech cable and did a scan before I started, and one once I was done. The the car was driven for a day and the second scan shows an error with CAN gateway. I have cleared the code and I'll see if it comes back, but in the mean time, does anyone have any insight...
  20. flyboy320

Torque specs for reinstalling engine bottom tray

I recently removed the lower engine tray/cover of my 2012 Golf to get access to the intercooler hose (to see if there was any water in the hose, turned out there wasn't). I noticed when removing the tray, the three rear bolts that bolt into the metal block (transmission?), seemed to have loctite...