Search results

1. H

Oil inside brake booster

Greetings everyone. Last week I had to replace the brake booster on my Golf Mk6 1.6 TDI. The reason for that is that once driving I heard a pop and totally lost brake assist resulting in rock hard brake pedal. The procedure to replace brake booster sucks because of tight access. I've...
  2. H

Oil advice for aircooled "classic" car

Parts for this engine are nonexistent. Nobody wants to bother rebuilding this engine due to spun crankshaft or rod bearings or other crap. Not much concern at all, simply I don't have a clue what this engine expects to be fed :) Pope's pee might also be difficult to source and turn out on the...
  3. H

Nice! Well, since the engine is indeed frm Soviet block, I'd say it doesn't conform to "soviet standards" - to be bulletproof. I'd say it's the opposite. It looks like it'd be made of wax. Cylinder heads are made of very crappy quality aluminium. Engline block itself is a magnesium alloy but...
  4. H

Yeah, exactly, I meant centrifugal filtration. There is no filter that holds all the junk. Filtered out stuff is supposed to stay stuck on the sides of centrifuge. Which it does. It gets cleaned every oil change. The car is LuAZ and I'm more than sure you haven't ever heard of it. Engine is in...
  5. H

30 or even 40 weight oil is too thin for this engine. Once warmed up to operating temp, it loses oil pressure. With 30 weight oil I think low oil pressure light will stay solid on at idle. I think Xw-50 would be optimal choice. My biggest concern is quite high oil temperature when engine fully...
  6. H

Greetings everyone. Asking advice for "what oil to use" on a classic (non-TDI :)) car. I'm sure we have competent oil experts which would be able to give a good advice. First of all, the car is made in 1981, however, engine itself dates back to 1960s design. Until 1990s it was made without any...
  7. H

Need help - converted to Single Mass Flywheel

Hello everyone. Better late than never. So I had to re-do the entire clutch+flywheel job. Learn from my mistakes - go wtih 038 105 269 D flywheel for 1.6 TDI (CAYA/CAYB/CAYC/CAYE). This _is_ the right SMF, not the 037 version (which has a bit different height profile and a less weight). I...
  8. H

Anyway, I found out that for certain markets those particular engines (CAYA/CAYB/CAYC) were fitted with SMF straight from the factory. For some small (Seat/Skoda and VW Polo with 1.6 TDI engine) cars the flywheel is the famous "G60" one, having part number "037 105 273 C" stamped on it. Cross...
  9. H

Is there any way to check it for sure? I have a friend who's got access to ETKA and ELSA but I need to know what to look for. Also, I've heard that during first year of this model the CAYC engine came with SMFs for Golf. Same engine is used in Polo, Audi A1 and Skoda Fabia and Roomster I think...
  10. H

No, unfortunately I didn't measure the stack up. Yes, I know it was my mistake. But I've read that some people have converted to single mass using same setup.... And No, I didn't change the synchros either. Not sure which ones my transmission has. I think it's 0A4, code LHW. Any ideas on that one?
  11. H

Hello everyone. I have attempted a conversion from Dual Mass Flywheel setup to single mass. The car in question is Golf Mk6 2011 year with 1.6 TDI engine, code CAYC. I installed a second-hand flywheel, VW part number 037 105 273 C. I also installed clutch and pressure plate from G60, Sachs...
  12. H

Bigger OEM oil sump?

Not specifically searching for a 'solution to a problem'. Simply the oil pan might need to be replaced, decided to see if I can somehow "upgrade" it. And as far as I know, the more oil you have, the better it is. Well, my driving conditions are a bit different and much more tough than those you...
  13. H

Bigger OEM oil sump?

Thanks OH, you were spot on. Transporter's capacity is 7 Liters. Yet it hangs down a lot. Checked out Caddy as well - most powerful versions (125 KW) have same capacity as Golf - 4.3 L. Found some with ultra low capacity - as low as 3.2 L for low-power gasoline engines. Found one off CNG...
  14. H

Bigger OEM oil sump?

Hello everyone. My car will need its oil sump replaced soon. I wonder if there is an option to get a bigger capacity OEM oil sump. I am aware that there are slightly smaller oil sumps for 2.0 TDI-PD engines with roller-rockers (code BKD) which capacity is 3.8 Liters as opposed to conventional...
  15. H

Engine mount manufacturer

Lemforder only. Avoid Febi at all costs. For bottom engine mount you will need a special dealer tool - without it it's nearly impossible to replace that one properly. And overall, it's a royal PITA to do that one.
  16. H

Sagging hood heat/sound insulation. Fix?

Greetings. Is there any fix for the sagging heat/sound shield under the hood besides replacing to brand new one?
  17. H

Leaking drain plug

Today I had misfortune - the workshop where I changed my oil actually stripped oil pan's threads on my Mk6. Luckily it was only a magnetic drain plug overtightened - it had shorted threads than the OEM one does have. So they just screwed in the OEM one and let me go. I really hope it won't leak...
  18. H

B6 passat 2.0tdi

Seek eBay
  19. H

confirm my G13 coolant mixture math . . .

Never trust maths. Always check the freeze point using tester. Once in Germany I bought 2x1.5L bottles of genuine G12++ at dealership and 2x1L bottles of distilled water. I poured everything in one container and mixed well. Based on theory, the 50:50 mix should have ended up with freeze point of...
  20. H

Advice after rear-end collision

Yeah, indeed, completely agree on your opinion about post-accident cars. It may not be a huge issue in US due to the climate but if you live in a cold, humid climate zone then the car will start to rust soon In this case I think they just replaced entire trunk lid and didn't use bondo :)