Search results

1. Danny W

98 Jetta TDI Problems Solved Smoking Hard Starting

Well, he's a 50 year old VW mechanic. He's a Gulf War veteran diesel mechanic. He's a full time preacher and believe me, he took me on as a charity case because he didn't bill me for a fraction of the amount of diagnostic time he put into this car. You have to understand that all of this...
  2. Danny W

98 Jetta TDI Problems Solved Smoking Hard Starting

Thanks to TDI Forum Threads for guiding me to solve many major problems. Bought this 1998 Jetta TDI. Basket case. Blue/Black smoke. Black film and oil on rear of car. You said Turbo issue. Your right. New Garret Turbo. No oil but even worse smoke. Took it to a Guru. Bad injection pump...
  3. Danny W

Engine stalls on cold start.

1998 TDI Jetta Cold Starts and dies 1998 AHU TDI Jetta. I have the exact same problem. Below 30F. Car starts runs 2-3 secs, stalls, then cranks and cranks. Will sputter starting with the start turning the engine. Runs poorly on its' own for 2 seconds and stalls. It can take 5 or 10 minutes...
  4. Danny W

Need Turbo Boost Hose

Does anybody have some links where I can buy an affordable Turbo Boost Hose? The top Rubber hose to the steel pipe on my '98 1.9 AHU TDI is cracked. Causing a screeching noise in my new turbo and a lot of fumes. VW wants $100 for the 8" hose and I can't find any aftermarket.
  5. Danny W

FS: 98 AHU IP, ECU, Wiring Harness, Cluster

Do you have any Turbo Boost hoses? I need the top rubber hose about 8" long.
  6. Danny W

Black smoke & reduced power

I have done, and paid to have done, a lot of work on my 3rd owner 1998 TDI Jetta 1.9 AHU. I am still getting an unacceptable amount of black smoke and filming on the truck. The MAF sensor is new. After reading this post, I decided to clean the air intake portion out myself just to make sure I...