Search results

1. DRbillZ

Replacement alternator

Anything decent other than Bosch. I see diesel geek selling a few different brands. If I have to stick with Bosch, fine. Just seeing if anything else is at least decent. Yes I did a search... Didn't see much.
  2. DRbillZ

Transmission/ mechatronics 'problem'. Might help someone else.

I'm no TDI guru. We've just had a few and just drive them. We don't modify them or do goofy things to them. DSG oil was changed pretty regularly. Not by the book but no long periods also. 175,000 miles on the 2006 Jetta. Bought new. Very early in life we had the flashing MFI shifting lights go...
  3. DRbillZ

Who else is keeping theirs?

Personally I think this is the ultimate win. Keep the car. Get money. Own what will become a classic. Nothing can replace the mileage, driveability, and room of the Sportwagon. I just feel sorry for the ones that have been talked into getting rid of such a great car because the winds of...
  4. DRbillZ

So this is what A/C feels like?

Bought a used SW last year that had 13,000 on it. The A/C worked but just wasn't quite "all that". Had it in once to be looked at and they replaced some "stuff". Went in for the free 30,000 mile service and told them again the A/C just doesn't quite get the job done. They replaced the compressor...
  5. DRbillZ

A/C long to come on?

Went out of state for about 10 days and my car sat at home for all that time. I came back and went for a little ride to get something locally and it took the A/C like 3 minutes to come on. Works fine now with no delay but what caused the initial delay? Strange...
  6. DRbillZ

New Cooper tire CS5

Don't know anything about it other than its new. We've used the CS4 and have been pleasantly pleased with it.
  7. DRbillZ

How to change radio with VCDS?

I put a post in the VCDS post but got no help. Anyone know how to use VCDS to change the radio to decrease the treble shrill? I looked with VCDS and could not find what others have done in this regard. If you know, please put a step by step explanation of how to do this. And please no 'just turn...
  8. DRbillZ

Wider tires?

2012 16" stock aluminum wheels. How much wider can you go without problems?(rubbing, causing hydroplane problems, not making it much worse in snow?). Want just a little better handling without causing problems. Also any aspect (tire height) changes. Don't really want to go lower with the car...
  9. DRbillZ

Noticeable exhaust note at speed?

I noticed on our last trip that running between 75 and 80mph there is a noticeable and almost obnoxious exhaust drone. Anyone else notice this? I usually don't travel on interstate that fast but, well, you know :) Anyone live in area where speed limit is 75(120 km/hr if converted correctly) and...
  10. DRbillZ

What is the right thing to do....VCDS borrowing.

So i have VCDS(VagCom). Someone contacts me. Obviously I'm not a professional and shouldn't charge someone but i paid for this thing and this other person didn't. Or... I don't have VCDS, what is customary to tip someone for going to someone's place and basically borrowing something someone...
  11. DRbillZ

Noisy "engine"

Had a noise in the engine compartment for a while. Just sounded like one of the rollers the serpentine belt was spinning was bad. Turned out to be the alternator pulley. Replaced. OMG, so much better.
  12. DRbillZ

Biodiesel as lubricant

What amount to use as lubricant for the the HPFP(High Pressure Fuel Pump) for a full tank of regular diesel. Any problems for the particulate filter? Void warranty?
  13. DRbillZ

RCD 510 radio sound fix

Update to this post. I was slowly developing fluid on the ears and this made the sound horrible. I'll post another update after things get back to normal. Way too much shreeking highs for my liking. Actually it hurts my ears. Any easy fixes? I've adjusted the sound about every way i can with...
  14. DRbillZ

Change name on phone on MFI

Bought car used and previous owner's name was listed for phone connection in bluetooth. I found out how to delete that but mine shows up as numbers and whatever. Tried to change the name but just can't seem to get it done. I can get the first letter of my name in there and then, well not so much...
  15. DRbillZ

Tires

I like the Turanzas but they're just a bit noisy (nothing horrible mind you). I've had good luck with Continental Extreme Contacts (all season version) before and lately CooperCS4. Want all season yet good handling, long lasting,and QUIET! Any other ideas? 16" Also will see snow when traveling...
  16. DRbillZ

RCD 510 radio

Delete. Found plenty of threads
  17. DRbillZ

'12 JSW VCDS and Hex-Com?

Anyone know if the Hex-Com cable works with VCDS and the 2012 JSW? I looked on Ross-Tech and as usual it's kinda vague. Yes I could just plug it in and see what happens but if I did and things got fried you'd say, why didn't you ask first :)
  18. DRbillZ

Abbreviations

Abbreviations/ Acronyms I've had aTDI(Turbo Direct Injection....see what i did there) since our 2000 New Beetle including 4 others. I get confused with abbreviations. I can't imagine a newcomer trying to figure some out. Please, please if you use one in a post, the first time you use the...
  19. DRbillZ

Sunroof drain fix

2002 Jetta Wet carpets? Here's the fix, most likely. This has been posted quite a few time but I put a twist into the repair, showing where I drilled the A-pillar in order to push the hose into the opening. Had to drill a hole in order to feed drain hose out and clamp them in place with a...
  20. DRbillZ

A/C setting changeable with VagCom(VCDS)?

2012 JSW I have never like an automatic A/C setting. I feel I'm smart enough to know when to turn it on and off(maybe not :) ). Is there a way to shut it off with VagCom/VCDS so you have just manual A/C on-off? Yeah I know just turn the temp control a couple notches from Max AC or hit the AC...