Search results

1. B

Where to get oil changed? - Minneapolis, MN

Any suggestions on a place to get oil changed on a Golf in the Minneapolis area? I was going to a Ford dealer and they had been charging $22 or so for oil change and tire rotation when I provided oil and filter. Recently they started charging full price of $42 even though they didn't provide...
  2. B

How to tell if MAF is causing poor MPG?

When I bought my '03 TDI Golf automatic I could easily get over 600 miles to a tank for about 38 to 40MPG combined. Now, I am doing good to get even 500 miles on a tank at 67,500 miles. My last tank was 32.5 MPG. I don't have a long commute at all so my driving is mostly short highway drives...
  3. B

Confused on TB change schedule for 2003

I have a 2003 Golf TDI with automatic. From reading here and such, I alway thought the TB change interval is 80k miles. I have 67,500 miles and figured I would need a TB next summer at 1,500 miles a month. Anyhow, my dealer gave me a brochure with service costs for a TDI and it lists the TB...
  4. B

How to tell if glow plugs are working?

I have a 2003 Golf with 65,000 miles. How can I tell if my glow plugs are working? The temps are now falling into the 30s some nights. The engine seems to require an extended crank compared to last fall/winter at the same temps. Also, the wait to start light seems to just blink on and right...
  5. B

Which winter wiper blades?

Which winter wiper blades would everyone recommend for a 2003 Golf TDI? I bought some Prestone ones which don't lock onto the arms 100% and they leave a streak directly under the attachment point. Brian Elfert
  6. B

Why mileage so low for '03 TDI? (44.2 MPG hwy)

Why mileage so low for \'03 TDI? (44.2 MPG hwy) I have never had any good MPG with my '03 Golf TDI automatic. The best tank has been 44.2 MPG driving at 68 MPH on a long freeway trip with no A/C and the windows up. (I'm venting and filling the same every tank.) Around town I pretty much...
  7. B

FS 2003 Golf GL TDI auto 16,000 miles - Minnesota

No longer for sale as decided to keep it. I drove my Ram 3500 pickup as a commuter vehicle for a day and realized it would be stupid to drive a big pickup every day. For the miles I drive, a gasser Corolla or Civic would make more sense than the TDI, but a trade wouldn't make any sense...
  8. B

What is 2003 Golf GL TDI really worth - 17k miles?

I have a 2003 Golf TDI GL 4 door with the automatic and heated seats. It has 17,000 miles. Also has TDI heater. For economic reasons, I need to trade it in or sell it. (Have two vehicles and can't keep both.) Considering the hot market for any vehicle with high MPG these days, how much...
  9. B

Good mileage from premium fuel or concidence?

Just returned from a 2144 mile trip over 3 days and got just 42.1 MPG overall. Minneapolis, MN to Rochester, NY and back. I started with a tank full of Flint Hills Resources Performance Gold premium diesel. I got 675 miles before I put in 14.8 gallons at a Flying J in Pettysburg, OH...
  10. B

Where to get oil changed?

Yes, I know that everybody should change their own oil, but it is currently -10F and I don't own any ramps. Which of the quick lube places will change oil on a TDI? I took my Mobil 1 Delvac and Mann filter to Walmart, but after pulling the car into the bay and everything, they told me they...
  11. B

Is Golf GL comfortable enough for 1600 mile trip?

I have a 2003 Golf GL with the plain cloth seats, not velour or anything fancy. Would I be insane to try a 1600 mile trip in my Golf? Will the plain seats be comfortable enough? I would take my Dodge 3500 pickup, but 17MPG is a killer. Brian Elfert
  12. B

Can I carry a 225lb mixer in a Golf?

Would I be insane to try and carry a 20 quart commercial mixer that weighs 225lbs in the back of my Golf? It is 36" tall. This would be for 800 miles or so. I do also have a Dodge 3500 pickup, but I would much prefer 42MPG over 17MPG. Brian Elfert
  13. B

Should brakes on 2003 Golf be really mushy?

My 2003 Golf has only 1900 miles and the brakes seem really mushy. When I go to brake, the pedal will feel like mush and then after the pedal travels quite a ways, the brakes will almost grab and brake harshly. Is this normal or do I need to visit the stealer? Brian Elfert
  14. B

When does winter fuel arrive in Minneapolis, MN?

Anyone have any idea when they usually start serving up winter blend fuel in Minnesota? Most clerks at gas stations can barely run the register, so I haven't bothered to ask them. Brian Elfert
  15. B

Cleaning interior on a Golf?

What should I use to clean the interior on a Golf, specifically the clear plastic on the instrument cluster and the fake chrome around the gear shifter and such? I somehow scratched the plastic over the cluster in my F350 and don't want to do that again. Brian Elfert
  16. B

White smoke at startup: normal at only 600 miles?

I have a 2003 Golf TDI with just 600 miles. I'm noticing that I get quite a bit of white smoke when I start up after sitting overnight. The temps are in the 70s and 80s and I don't recall this in the first few weeks I owned the car. I also have a Ford Powerstroke and that one only smokes on...
  17. B

Do I need VAG-COM?

I'm certainly no mechanic. About as far as I get is changing the oil and other basic stuff, although I did add a tranny cooler to my F-350. Should I get a copy of VAG-COM? It is nice to know what is going on with the car before getting it fixed. Would there be any reason to get the HEXCOM...
  18. B

How much oil for oil change?

The VW manual says the engine has an oil capacity of 4.5 quarts. Yet, people talk about buying one gallon of Mobil Delvac 1 to change the oil. Wouldn't I need 4.5 quarts? I am thinking that 4 gallons should do 3 oil changes. Brian Elfert
  19. B

Caterpillar oil is expensive!

The local Caterpillar dealer wants $26.60 a gallon plus tax for their version of Mobil Delvac 1. This is pretty expensive when I can go to avlube.com and order the real thing for about $24.25 per gallon in a case of 4 including shipping. I almost ordered from avlube.com, but I found a local...
  20. B

Golf Variant (Golf Wagon)

Does VW make a Golf Variant (Golf Wagon) for North America? There is one poster here who has a signature saying he has a 2002 Golf Variant. There is a picture of the car with Maryland plates. I would have loved to get a Golf Wagon. That way, I wouldn't have to fire up my F350 Powerstroke...