Search results

1. B

Where to get oil changed? - Minneapolis, MN

I think I added my model to the signature. I have a 2003 so any synthetic diesel oil is supposed to work. I have been using Mobil 1 turbo diesel oil since it came out and prior to that I used Mobil Delvac 1.
  2. B

Where to get oil changed? - Minneapolis, MN

Any suggestions on a place to get oil changed on a Golf in the Minneapolis area? I was going to a Ford dealer and they had been charging $22 or so for oil change and tire rotation when I provided oil and filter. Recently they started charging full price of $42 even though they didn't provide...
  3. B

How to tell if MAF is causing poor MPG?

When I bought my '03 TDI Golf automatic I could easily get over 600 miles to a tank for about 38 to 40MPG combined. Now, I am doing good to get even 500 miles on a tank at 67,500 miles. My last tank was 32.5 MPG. I don't have a long commute at all so my driving is mostly short highway drives...
  4. B

AMAZED so many people still driving gasoline vehicles !!!

Minnesota fuel prices seem to be out of whack with the rest of the country especially right now. Our diesel prices are some of the highest in the country while our gasoline prices are in line with some of the lowest in the country. Even in the spring I've never seen diesel less than gasoline...
  5. B

How to tell if glow plugs are working?

I seem to have been wrong about my glow plugs. The temps have been at or near zero recently and the glow plug light has been on for upwards of 10 seconds which is normal at those temps. The other day my car sat in the sun all day and it got up to 34 degrees and the glow plug light was only on...
  6. B

Confused on TB change schedule for 2003

I never even talked to the dealership about a TB change. I just grabbed the brochure for the heck of it and saw that the 2003-2004 TB change was 100,000 miles when I always thought it was 80,000 miles with an automatic.
  7. B

I was at the dealer buying some G12 coolant and grabbed the brochure for the heck of it. I did talk to the service folks about why my Golf has needed coolant added twice in the past year. They claim it is normal to add coolant in our cold climate, but no other vehicle I have owned has ever...
  8. B

I have a 2003 Golf TDI with automatic. From reading here and such, I alway thought the TB change interval is 80k miles. I have 67,500 miles and figured I would need a TB next summer at 1,500 miles a month. Anyhow, my dealer gave me a brochure with service costs for a TDI and it lists the TB...
  9. B

Last spring was an aberration that may not happen again. That was the only time in a number of years that gasoline was more expensive than diesel here in Minnesota. A bunch of things with refineries happened last spring to drive gas prices through the roof. It would be my luck that if I did...
  10. B

I'm seriously considering selling my TDI Golf and going back to a gasser. Yes, I love diesel vehicles, but the costs are getting out of control. Right now, diesel is 65 to 70 cents a gallon higher than regular gasoline. It won't be much longer before I need a timing belt and water pump for...
  11. B

I think I'll start looking for a new battery. That is one place to start. 4.5 years seems a bit early for a battery, but it will be needed sooner rather than later. I checked the battery connections and I did not see a hint of corrosion. That is one big battery for a little car, but it does...
  12. B

I have a 2003 Golf with 65,000 miles. How can I tell if my glow plugs are working? The temps are now falling into the 30s some nights. The engine seems to require an extended crank compared to last fall/winter at the same temps. Also, the wait to start light seems to just blink on and right...
  13. B

Gasoline Supply Crunch--Good To Have A TDI NOW!

Fuel prices have typically been high in Nevada, but Elko is the worst I have seen. I remember three or four years ago stopping for diesel in Elko and it was $2.25 a gallon while the going price in Nevada was $1.75 a gallon. Needless to say, we only put in enough to get to the next town. (We...
  14. B

Hamberger Helper

I filled up my dad's minivan on E85 this past weekend. E85 was 55 cents per gallon less than regular gasoline. Brian Elfert
  15. B

Drivers side headlight bulb-HELP

It would help if they gave owners a readable owner's manual. The manual consists of all kinds of booklets and individual sheets in a cheap three ring binder. The binder is so bad that the sheets start to out if you try to read them. On topic: I did call the dealer and they will replace the...
  16. B

Which winter wiper blades?

Oh, I can find winter blades everywhere around here too. I am just trying to find ones that really work well with the Golf. The ones I have now are not tightly attached llike the OEM blades. I wonder if there is some english/metric issue going on? I only have one winter blade and one OEM...
  17. B

Oh, I can find winter blades everywhere around here too. I am just trying to find ones that really work well with the Golf. The ones I have now are not tightly attached llike the OEM blades. I wonder if there is some english/metric issue going on? I only have one winter blade and one OEM...
  18. B

Drivers side headlight bulb-HELP

Aren't the light bulbs a maintainence item not covered under warranty? My headlight just went out at 31k miles. Brian Elfert
  19. B

Doesn't the Golf take a 19" and 21" blade? I thought I saw a 19" blade offered in this model. I noticed the same thing with Trico only listing a driver side part for the Golf. I'm a little tight in the wallet this month so I haven't checked these out yet. Brian Elfert
  20. B

I called IMPEX and they have nothing for winter blades. Anyone have a winter blade they have tried that really works? Brian Elfert