Search results

1. T

Installed bluetooth for OEM radio, now no lock alarm?

Last year, I installed a Motorola IHF1000 bluetooth car kit onto the OEM head unit. Works like a charm.... audio is routed through car speakers, microphone installed near map light, calls automatically mute radio, the OEM radio LCD reads "Phone" when in phone mode, etc. And power is switched...
  2. T

WTB: cargo basket for roof rack

I have a growing family now, need to increase the carrying capacity of the Jetta a bit for the holiday vacations coming up. I already have the OEM rack setup. Looking for a cargo basket - anyone looking to part with one? Would prefer one of the OEM VW or Audi baskets, but would consider...
  3. T

Black NB in Mifflinburg, PA

Saw a Black NB yesterday with a TDI Club license frame. Followed him along Rt. 304 from Mifflinburg to New Berlin until I turned to go home.
  4. T

Good fuse to tap for switched power??

Looking to hook up an accessory and power it from a switched fuse (only on when car is on). Which fuse(s) are the favorite ones to tap for switched power? I don't have heated seats.... is this fuse (#44) switched? What about fuse #36 (fog lights) or the open fuse sockets (#8 or #17)??
  5. T

Tired of the "great 35mpg" TV ads

Am I the only one who laughs at TV commercials for the Ford Focus and Toyota Corolla, touting the benefits of driving a car that gets 35mpg ?? And then when I'm done laughing, I wonder why in the world VW takes it laying down and doesn't put out their own commercials that trounce those supposed...
  6. T

Correct MkIV armrest cup holder insert??

I've found this part number for a cupholder insert for 98-01 Passat center armrests.... ZVW-919-001 And it looks like this... Would this same part number work with the center armrest in a '03 Jetta? I'm not having a lot of luck finding a part number for Jetta/Golf inserts. Why am I...
  7. T

WTB: black cloth center armrest

Looking for a black cloth center armrest. Tired of the drinks blocking the radio on long trips!
  8. T

Does this Shell diesel sign mean anything?

Here's a sign hanging on the vent stacks at my local Shell station. Pardon the poor image quality, it was taken with my phone from about 50 ft away.... The sign reads "Certified Premium Diesel with Diesel Guard at #2 Price". There are no cetane ratings on the pumps. Is anyone aware of any...
  9. T

efficiency of cartridge oil filter vs. spin-on

If this topic has been chewed on before, my apologies. But I've never seen the discussion about the fact that our vehicles use a cartridge oil filter, and the net efficiency of them versus spin-on filters. With a spin-on oil filter, it's basically taken for granted that any dirt/debris caught...
  10. T

Spicer's Additive Lubricity Results

Posted earlier today.... http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728 Personally, I'm disappointed that they chose to test Primrose Power Blend 2003, instead of Primrose 405 (or 405-C). Isn't the 405 Product more popular than other flavors in the Primrose line?
  11. T

small rpm changes while driving at constant speed

While driving at a constant speed on level roads, lately I've noticed the engine tends to vary its rpm slightly. I've noticed this for the last 6 months/10k miles or so. It's kind of subtle (no more than a 25 or 50rpm fluctuation according to the gauge). My wife doesn't notice it, but I do. I...
  12. T

Flying J ULSD in VA

I'll be heading to NC in a couple weeks for the holiday. My favorite place to top off has always been the Flying J in Wytheville just off I-81 - both for the quality of the fuel and the consistently low price. According to Flying J's site, that location does not sell ULSD, just LSD. Can...
  13. T

WTB - double din monsoon CD/tape/radio

I'm 99% sure the radio portion of my DD Monsoon radio/tape/CD is fried. It hasn't worked in months. I'd like to stick with the oem unit if possible. So any of you that have a spare head unit laying around with the code.... name your best price!
  14. T

Good place to buy SS vacuum lines??

I'm looking to replace my aging vacuum lines with nice stainless steel replacements. Anybody still offering the nice cut-to-size kits??
  15. T

Intermittent CEL light

Twice in the last 2 weeks, the CEL has come on while my wife was minding her business going down the road. Both times, it came on about 2 minutes after starting the car (late in the day, when the car was fully warmed up), and both times it turned off on its own several minutes later. The car...
  16. T

any parts needed to clean the EGR only?

I'm having the classic sticking anti-shudder valve problem. I'd like to clean out the EGR only, without tackling the rest of the intake (yet!). If I'm only removing the EGR assembly and not the rest of the intake manifold, are there any gaskets/seals/o-rings that would be necessary to replace...
  17. T

What's on the short list of Vag-Com mods??

What\'s on the short list of Vag-Com mods?? With my '03 Jetta just about to eclipse 60k miles, I'm looking at getting Vag-Com to keep things ticking nicely. But I was wondering what items are on the "must do" list of vag-com mods? How about suggested settings to make winter starting easier...
  18. T

what's the word on Ebay armrests from Hong Kong??

what\'s the word on Ebay armrests from Hong Kong?? Everybody and their brother is selling knockoff Jetta armrests on Ebay. I know some of you actually bit the bullet and bought one. I remember at least one story where not all the parts were included, and another story about modifying the...
  19. T

replacing windshield tomorrow

Tomorrow morning, our local glass shop is replacing the windshield on the Jetta. (My wife was going to work when some unknown object hit the glass and made a perfectly round crack, about the size of a hockey puck.) Here's a potentially dumb question..... will I get to keep my OEM rearview...
  20. T

Warranty about to expire - what to look for??

Thanks to my wife's daily work-related driving, we've managed to (almost) blow through the 4 yr./50.000 mi bumper-to-bumper warranty in about 28 months. The '03 Jetta stands at 46,400 miles as of this morning. She averages 500 miles per week, so I figure I have about a month to make some final...