Search results

1. W

ALH TDI: Thunk, zero boost, whistling sound from engine. Help!

So, driving down the highway, accelerating coming off the onramp. I hear a thunk/clank noise. Immediately after, boost goes to zero on the boost gauge. There is now a whistling sound coming from the engine. The whistle increases the more I get on the throttle. Pulled off the highway, looked...
  2. W

2001 Jetta TDI: Oil light on, STOP CAR on MFA, car died on highway. HELP!

Well, **** me, right? :( Driving home from an evening at my girlfriend's sister's house. Just got onto US-40 and into the leading edge of a lightning-heavy line of thunderstorms. The oil light comes on, immediately followed by STOP CAR flashing on the MFA. So, of course, I STOPped the CAR...
  3. W

Clanking 2003 Jetta TDI

Video here (on Youtube): http://youtu.be/34n66HQIMtw My girlfriend's (formerly my) 2003 Jetta TDI automatic started making the rather ominous clanking noise from the video above in the middle of a number of short trips. The engine coolant temp gauge also went from bury-the-needle cold to fully...
  4. W

2001 Jetta TDI doesn't turn over . . . help please

My 2001 Jetta TDI, after several trips around town, flat out failed to turn over at all this evening. I had driven it several miles, stopped by my father's house for about ten minutes, and came back out to start it. Nothing. There is is a short series of clicks and a wooshing sound (as if the...
  5. W

Bullied Student's Passat Repaired by Local Body Shop

Saw a video on Youtube about a young college student whose green 2000 Passat was repeatedly vandalized with scratched-in homopobic slurs, slashed tires, broken wind shield and other damage. Quality Auto Paint and Body in Roanoke, Virginia repaired, refreshed and rebuilt his car. Richard...
  6. W

CCV DOA: melted/broken CCV -- ever seen this?

Well, here's a fun little experience. While doing an oil change on my girlfriend's 2003 Jetta TDI, I noticed a large amount of black residue around the CCV valve. It's hard to see in this picture, because I wiped some of it up before the shot was snapped. The darker, streaked areas were...
  7. W

VW test-to-destruction video: Who wouldn't want this job?

I just watched a video of various models of VW vehicles being tested on a road hazard track, slammed sideways on a hydraulic machine, beaten on with hammers, etc. (with a jazzed-up polka soundtrack :rolleyes:): http://youtu.be/4PiwNWZsiM0 My first, good, thought: What a horrible thing to do...
  8. W

MkIV Jetta - detached fabric behind dome lights - how to fix?

A bit embarrassed to be asking this, but here goes. There is a small, separate section of headliner just behind the dome light in my old (aka my girlfriend's new) Jetta. Lately, possibly in part due to hot weather, it's come unglued. See pics below. My question is, is there a simple way to...
  9. W

2001 Custom Jetta - Yggdrasil, the Green Machine

I flew out to Pennsylvania this past week to buy Snadam's 2001 Jetta TDI sedan. This car was heavily customized by both Snadam and Sootman. I'm loving the power and the mileage. After some fun flight adventures and an overnight stay at Snadam's place (thanks again, btw), the long drive home...
  10. W

DashDAQ? DashDON'T. Wish I DashDIDN't.

I recently purchased a DashDAQ XL for my 2003 Jetta TDI. Let me lay out why I think this a decision that I have reason to regret, and you may want to avoid: Preface: I am a huge GNU/Linux fan and advocate. Because this is a Linux-based device, I have been bending over backwards trying to find...
  11. W

Replacing fuel lines (2003 Jetta)

I've developed a leak in one of the injector fuel lines after running B100 (no idea if the two are related -- it was the biodiesel dissolving an oil spot from a now-fixed gasket leak and leaving a spot on the driveway that clued me in to the leak). I'm planning on replacing the injector lines...
  12. W

Injector leak?

I have what I think is an injector leak. Three of them - dry as a bone. The fourth (first from the left as I face the engine) looks like this: The fuel seems to be leaking out near where the metal pipe attaches. From other related threads I've looked into, it seems there's some hope that...
  13. W

Brodie knob (aka necker or suicide knob, wheel spinner) for Mk IV Jetta?

I'm going to be having shoulder surgery in mid November as a byproduct of the car wreck that smashed my old Taurus and led to my getting my 2003 Jetta (so it wasn't all bad :) ). After the surgery, my left arm will be out of play for a while, and I was thinking about getting a brodie knob, or...
  14. W

WTB: 2003 Jetta top Engine Cover.

I'm looking for a replacement for the top engine cover for my 2003 Jetta GLS TDI. Some bright fellow at the place I took it to be inspected before purchase thought he could just "bend it up and take a peek" instead of taking it off to look at the engine. As a result, it's cracked severely...
  15. W

Swiss govt. study finds diesels greener than battery cars

A Swiss government study has concluded that modern diesels and other high mileage cars have a lower environmental impact than completely electric vehicles (which means they're even further ahead of gas/electric hybrids, I would assume). Full story here The story is in the Register, and the...
  16. W

Jetta Mk IV OEM Plastic Sound Dampening Plate and Side Skirts

I want to start off by saying, if you can afford a Dieselgeek, Evolution or OEM metal skid plate, get one. I bought the Dieselgeek skid plate with Full Metal Jacket, and that's why I have the following available: For anyone who wants to replace the OEM plastic sound dampening plate and/or OEM...
  17. W

"Sad moo" on shutdown - 03 Jetta GLS - WT#?

Occasionally when shutting off the engine, I hear a sound right after the engine stops that sounds like the sound of a cow mooing in the distance. The sound is a low "ooooooh" that lasts about two seconds and seems to shift down in pitch at the end. It makes me think of the sound old Bessie...
  18. W

New (to me) 2003 Jetta GLS TDI -- lovin' it!

I got it for a little under 8k, with 120k miles. Looks good, though it had one tiny nick in the paint on the hood, just over the VW symbol. Patched up with grey paint until I can get the proper color from a dealer or someone on the forum. Purrs like a well-fed tiger. He's going over to...