Search results

1. tactdi

Left/Right side Ball Joint

I have finished refreshing my front suspension, replaced the control arm brackets, tie rod ends, and ball joints. Well, when I installed the ball joints, I forgot/did not realize that they are left/right ball joints. I just grabbed a box without looking at or referencing the part number to...
  2. tactdi

2007 GTI Engine Repair

I am looking at a 2007 GTI (EA113) with a broken timing belt, and bent valves. I would be buying the GTI with the intention of replacing the engine/head, and would be sourcing a used engine/head. Are there other VAG models that used the same engine/head that would interchange?
  3. tactdi

Broken and Leaking Transmission

As I was driving home, and about a block from the house, I hear a big loud clunk/pop, like I hit a deep pot hole or ran over a 2x4. I stopped and looked at the front left wheel, which is were I felt the clunk, saw nothing wrong with the wheel, and looked under the car, and saw no oil leaking...
  4. tactdi

Trunk release and Alarm

How is the electric trunk release and the alarm tied together? For several months, the electric trunk release on the drivers door, and on the remote would not open the trunk (have to use the key in the trunk lid). I thought it was the trunk release motor, and replaced that, the dash shows the...
  5. tactdi

Airbag Crash Sensor

On my daughters 2002 Beetle, the Airbag light is lit, VCDS shows the error 01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) From what I can find searching using Google, it seems that the Front Drivers Side airbag sensor needs replacing (or possibly a loose connection). From the searches...
  6. tactdi

TPMS Sensors

$55 for 3 TPMS sensors, includes Priority Mail shipping to an US zip. 3 TPMS senors from a 2009 Jetta. These have been on my car for several years, recently replaced the tires, and removed the sensors since my car does not have TPMS. Part number 1K0.907.255C
  7. tactdi

FS: Biolines

For sale a set of 16x6" 5x112 silver Biolines off of a 2005.5 Jetta. Wheels have scratches, tires are bald, includes center caps. $250, pickup in the Charlotte area. Also have a single steel 16x6" wheel from the Jetta, no tire $50. Also have a single Ronal 16x6" alloy wheel, inside rim is...
  8. tactdi

Jetta TDI in SCCA Club Racing

There is expected to be a Jetta TDI running at Virginia International Raceway the weekend of April 20/21. http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=346001#post346001
  9. tactdi

Fuel Quality and Turbo Vanes

I have had my 2005.5 Jetta for over 2 years. Bought it with 142K, knowing that the manual trans was bad, and replaced the transmission, cam (it was bad), and the timing belt. During this time, the car runs great, and still runs great. It had shown symptoms of the sticky vane (actuator) and a...
  10. tactdi

High cetane diesel outside of Indy

I will be traveling through Indy on my way to Wisconsin in a few weeks, and from previous trips have needed fuel outside of Indy. Is 47 cetane (or cetane higher than 40) available on I70 east of Indy or I65 north of Indy? If available, what stations and at what exits is it available? Thanks...
  11. tactdi

Drivers door open sensor

Where or how does the driver door open sensor work? I recently replaced the drivers door wiring harness due to broken wires causing controllers to stay awake and drain the battery. Since then, many times when I open the drivers door the interior lights do not come on and the dash diagram of the...
  12. tactdi

Sticky RPMs then smoke

With my Jetta that is a 2005.5, 160K, new cam, lifters, and TB kit at about 147K; once a week, or maybe once every two weeks, when accelerating from a stop, the RPMs will freeze at about 2000, and not increase. Applying more throttle does not increase the RPMs, it just stays at about 2000...
  13. tactdi

2005.5 MT bad 3rd gear

I am selling the MT from my 2005.5 Jetta, transmission code GQQ. The transmission does have a bad 3rd gear, it will not shift into 3rd. Would make a good candidate for a 5th gear swap, while fixing the 3rd gear. I thought about fixing 3rd and swapping in the lower 5th gear, but purchased...
  14. tactdi

Installed Boost Guage, no Boost Reading

I installed a NewSouth 0-35psi boost gauge, and am not getting a reading at idle. At about 2000 RPMs, I can see the gauge move a little off of zero. I double checked the pressure line from the fitting on the intercooler pipe to the guage, and do not see any kinks or pinches. For the...
  15. tactdi

Parking light bulb

A few weeks ago, my MFD display started to display message that the right front parking light bulb was out (forget the actual words). Searching the forum, I found the part number for the bulb, pulled the lens and replaced the bulb. Now about a week later, the same message. Is there typically...
  16. tactdi

Reverse Lockout weak

On the transmission that I installed in my Jetta, the reverse lockout/gate/spring is non-existent. I do not have to push down and to the left to get into the reverse gate, I can just move the shifter to the left. It takes some practice to find 1st gear (typically move the shifter to 2nd to...
  17. tactdi

MFD display fades out

On my 2005.5 Jetta,the MFD display will be bright and clear after starting the car in the morning. As the day (and time) goes by, the edges of the display fade out. Is there a fix for this? The edges by the Clock (upper right hand corner), and both the ODO and trip ODO (entire bottom edge)...
  18. tactdi

EGR and N75 Testing

On my 2005.5 Jetta that has low power and a large amount of black smoke at below 3000 RPM, I am planning replace the cam. Before I replace the cam, I would like to confirm that the rest of the typical problem areas are not problems. Using VCDS, I ran through the Output Tests and have...
  19. tactdi

Low power and black smoke

I am troubleshooting the typical low power and black smoke at low RPMs issue with my 2005.5 Jetta. I recently purchased the car knowing that it needed a transmission, and probably a timing belt. I have read enough on this forum, and know that timing belts do need to be replaced at regular...
  20. tactdi

2005.5 Replacement Trans (5sp)

I found a 2005.5 TDI for sale with 146K, that has a bad 3rd gear. Asking price is $9500. I have not looked at the car yet, but I am considering it. This would be my first TDI, and I have been doing a large amount of reading in this forum. I have no problem switching out the trans and...