Search results

1. tactdi

2015 Passat TDI Clutch Issues

What 740GLE is saying, the Slave Cylinder is inside the bell housing of the transmission. One has to remove the trans to replace the slave. If that effort is being done and paid for, you may as well pay for the clutch parts and replace the clutch.
  2. tactdi

6 speed swap

After I did my 6speed swap, 02Q transmission, when I needed a starter, I got the Valeo 02Q 6speed starter from IDParts. I am sure it is available elsewhere. https://www.idparts.com/starter-valeo-speed-mk6-cbea-cjaanms-ckra-02m911024p-438226-p-12906.html#product_tabs
  3. tactdi

VCDS Worthwhile?

Cost is for the cable, software and updates are no cost as long as you have the Ross-Tech cable. https://www.ross-tech.com/
  4. tactdi

Basic Scanner?

There is no software cost for VCDS, cost is for the cable. Review Ross-Tech's Webpage https://www.ross-tech.com/
  5. tactdi

real world EVs review

VW/Audi used 195/65-15 tires in the 1980's/1990's across many of the models and saved 15% on tire costs. 15% can be a big number when your are covering that many wheels. https://www.thedrive.com/news/heres-why-vw-ran-195-65-r15-tires-on-so-many-cars
  6. tactdi

Ross Tech VAG cable

The F1 race at Austin is at Circuit of the Americas (COTA), a few miles from the Austin Airport off of Elroy Rd. This years race is the weekend of October 21/22.
  7. tactdi

Ross Tech VAG cable

F1 = Formula One - There has been a yearly Formula One race held in Austin since 2012.
  8. tactdi

Ross Tech VAG cable

Never heard of roads being called FM (Farm to Market), until I went to the first Austin F1 race. Directions included how to get to the Marshal registration location, which included the FM road number. It may have been the second year, before I heard someone say Farm to Market, which defined...
  9. tactdi

Mechanics (pro and shadetree): What's your favorite non-standard/specialty tool?

Band-Aids - I cannot seem to do the smallest job without getting a cut or scrape drawing blood. I did swap out the winter tires for summer tires yesterday on my other car, without drawing blood and only using a few cuss words :)
  10. tactdi

Rear main Seal Replacement, 6 speed Conversion Discussion & Issues

When I did my RMS using the tool and the pan off, I messed up the install (forget now what it was), thought about reusing the seal, but just ordered another one, to prevent myself from pulling the trans again. And yes, I too was victim of the failed internal slave cylinder a couple of years...
  11. tactdi

Rear main Seal Replacement, 6 speed Conversion Discussion & Issues

I did mine with the oil pan off. Not sure if it can be done and sealed with the pan on. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a engine brace to hold the engine up by the engine lift points, the brace sits on the fender rails. Then you can remove the jack stands.
  12. tactdi

real world EVs review

I was behind a 240 Volvo the other day, that was beside a modern car (don't remember what), and thought, that is a small car by today's standards, it was so narrow, when it was new, it was a size comparable to the cars of the day.
  13. tactdi

Brake line flush/bleed: location of the clutch bleeder on a '12 JSW

Good you got the clutch bleed. Can be difficult to get a good firm pedal, once air is in the system. I also have a master cylinder cap with a valve stem inserted. Used that technique also to bleed brakes and clutches. Also have a bleed bottle with a hose that goes to the bottom of the...
  14. tactdi

Brake line flush/bleed: location of the clutch bleeder on a '12 JSW

Yes, that is the clutch bleeder valve (nipple with the white outer ring), the clutch slave is in the bell housing (search for pictures). Some pointers, the bleed screw is plastic, so be careful, use a box end wrench to prevent stripping. You do not need to open the screw very much to start...
  15. tactdi

2006 TDI loss of power and black smoke

Check the Cam and lifters. A new cam and lifters, along with a timing belt and water pump, and you will get some good miles out of the car. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/brm-suddenly-runs-like-hell.525484/
  16. tactdi

clutch pedal on floor - perplexing lack of leaks, fluid loss, or other obvious symptoms - ??

I wish I could tell you that metal is better. BUT, I had a metal slave cylinder leak after a couple of years. Pulled the trans and ordered a new slave, which was a plastic one. No problems with the plastic one for the past couple of years. I would think as long as you get OE or OEM, quality...
  17. tactdi

Gqq 5 speed transmission inspection

Happened to me too, plug in the bell housing popped out. At about 200K miles. Replaced the 5sp trans with a 6sp and matching CV shafts.
  18. tactdi

Air in clutch line assistance needed.

Start with the easy items, yes, fluid levels and leaks in the lines from the master to the transmission. Slave is inside the bell housing, so remove the under tray and look for leaks from where the transmission meets the block. If all is dry and full, or there is fluid dripping out of the bell...
  19. tactdi

Air in clutch line assistance needed.

First check the o-rings in the connections and replace if suspect. This is the trick I used to reverse bleed the clutch. Since the brakes and the clutch share the same reservoir, I connected a tube between the front brake caliper (drivers side) bleed screw, and the clutch slave bleed screw. I...
  20. tactdi

2005 Volkswagen Beetle - Gets hot

Several years ago, when I did my daughters 2003 Beetle timing belt, 1.8 Turbo, all the Internet instructions used mark and pray. Worked out just fine.