Search results

1. L

Please help advise about speedometer/odometer illness

I know there's a number of previous threads concerning the VSS, speedo/odo problems, fuse and all. But I'm not sure that my specific problem has been really described and diagnosed before. I would appreciate some advice. My vehicle ( 2002 Jetta/Bora ALH; 1J chassis; 02J 5-speed transmission )...
  2. L

12V going off, while driving

12V faulty (over-voltage), while driving I don't understand this, and am looking for (knowledgeable) suggestions from other forum members. I replaced my alternator, about 18 months ago, because the original one had died and I didn't want to invest the time and debugging into taking it apart and...
  3. L

750 Mile challenge between TDI and Prius, last week

I wasn't aware of this, didn't see it in this forum. Auburn VW is about 15 minutes from Tacoma (in Auburn, WA) @ www.auburnvw.com. ( Jetta goes the extra mile in fuel challenge www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/aub/business/25575664.html ) Here's how I came across it ... looking for info on...
  4. L

2 wires that run underneath VE fuel injection pump, what are they?

I recently replaced my VE FIP head seal (2002 ALH Jetta Jetta Wagon), using the Viton seal kit from Jim @ Dieselgeek.com. I had known about the leak (and occasional loss of prime / no-start situation) for probably a year. While I was working on the head seal procedure, I found that these two...
  5. L

FAQ? One side signal/marker lights stuck on, after locking/arming

Turn Signal gets STUCK ON, after using Key (or Remote) to Lock or Unlock doors! This issue has been Identified and Resolved (Fixed) (11-Apr-2008), read through to latest post. Also rewriting / cleaning up this first post ... UPDATE, Feb 2016: See THIS POST for an overview of approaches that...
  6. L

Vanity light (above visor mirror) / removal and bulb replacement / How-To

Vanity / Make-Up Mirror Light / removal and bulb replacement / How-To I have a Bentley service manual that includes my 2002 Jetta TDI Wagon (Mk4, ALH, 1J); but I have never been able to locate instructions for servicing (bulb) or removing those vanity lights (mounted into the headliner) that...
  7. L

Measuring injection timing, fuel temp seems to be sagging?

I've recently tried to check the fuel injection timing (and quantity) on my 2002 Jetta TDI (wagon), 5-speed transmission. Using a recent version of VAG-COM, which has always worked fine for other stuff. There are one or two things that I did not expect and I think are odd. (Currently have...
  8. L

Where is the fuel tank pickup

I can see in the Bentley book (I have a 2002 Jetta TDI wagon) that the fuel supply line at the fuel tank connects into the "fuel gauge sensor". Is the actual fuel pickup i.e. the orifice that takes up fuel near the bottom of this assembly? The basic question is, where is the fuel pickup, is it...
  9. L

Do fossil diesel and biodiesel dissolve into each other

(rookie question) I believe that ULSD has a noticeably lower specific gravity than LSD, and that biodiesel has a significantly higher specific gravity than #2 or LSD. Is it possible that ULSD and biodiesel do not fully dissolve in each other? Basically I am wondering whether when I splash...
  10. L

Interior body parts src (wheel liner, cover side)?

I had to run over something in the road a while back (it was previously dead roadkill and was very dark out), and didn't worry about it too much but I realize now that it smashed a piece out of my "wheel housing liner" (diagram N66-0094, item 1) and tore the "noise insulation assembly"...
  11. L

Battery for Jetta TDI wagon -- trying Duralast 94R

My original VW/Audi battery (in my 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI) failed after 3 years, 70k miles. (The warranty on that is 50k miles, pro-rated.) I wanted to try and get a DuraLast battery from AutoZone, since they were quite highly rated (by Consumer Reports). It was during the Thanksgiving holiday...
  12. L

GSPI 2001 Jetta TDI / B100 in Challenge Bibendum

Official results aren't out on inet yet, but there was this -- Green Star EWire Larry.
  13. L

New BD article in Outside Mag (Sep 2003)

Outside Magazine's Sep 2003 issue has this article about Charris and BD. (I recalled Daryl Hannah mentioning him on TV in July, when she talked about her truck) Larry.
  14. L

Daryl Hannah plugged Biodiesel the other night

Did anyone watch Daryl Hannah (the actress) on NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno the other night -- Tuesday (22-Jul) Just by chance I saw that segment and she was talking about her truck, saying that it runs on vegetable oil / WVO, then she talked about biodiesel and how its use is better for...
  15. L

Audi Euro 4 V6 UK launch (tax break)

Audi Euro 4 V6 UK launch
  16. L

Stickers, clings

What I was able to get through the mail, back in March: These were about $.30 each (order some window clings too for $.38 each while you're there, they're nifty) -- These were free (I only asked for a couple of bumper stickers, didn't want to take too much advantage of their...
  17. L

More diversion of attention (new magazine article)

This cover story just appeared in the new Wired from GBN -- "How Hydrogen Can Save America" www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.04/hydrogen.html That is very upsetting, they do not cover biofuels. It should have been a carbon-neutral biofuels article, and mention H2 schemes as a sub-section; but...