Search results

1. G

Dirty/black fuel

Hey guys... Getting some QUICKLY clogged fuel filters in the 04 PD... might this be oil in the fuel?? :eek: I was thinking it might be bad diesel fuel, but I've used the same station for the truck, and i'm not having any issues... I changed the fuel filter 3 weeks ago, and the car quit...
  2. G

BEW GP's # N105 916 07 Good, or bad?? -recall..

Hey Guys, I had the 'recall update' done @ Patrick VW in Auburn MA last year... I'm STILL having an issue starting the car @ anything UNDER 30 degrees. Under 10 degrees, AIN'T HAPPENING! :mad: Pulled all the GP's out last night.. Writing reads: VW# is: N105 916 07 Bosch# 250 402 004...
  3. G

thermostat flange & connector @ heater core LEAKING! WTB??

Hey guys... having an issue with the 04 tdi.. all of a sudden, NO heat last week (traveling down the highway....) Heater core inlet hose is hot, outlet is cool... no signs of leaks from the core, or the typical inside condensation on the windshield. BUT... there is some seeping from...
  4. G

wheel bearing done right, but gone bad??? FINAL DRIVE???

replaced the driver's front wheel bearing, done right, with the press... still making noise.. might TOO MUCH preload cause this?? I'm trying to diag it...driving me crazy, although I can swap out the bearing now in under 2.5 hrs... :) thanks for the help!! how can I check the level of the...
  5. G

Bora Parts?? Is Aaron alive????

I ordered 3 oil filters, and a CTS from Aaron on MARCH 13th.. I have sent him TWO emails, and 3 phone calls... I have NOT had a reply... IS he still alive?? Thanks for any help... J
  6. G

28-E6 Glow plug recall/install, NOW car has NO BOOST??!!

28-F6 Glow plug recall/install, NOW car has NO BOOST??!! hey guys, Just had THE new Glow-plug recall done on our 04.5 TDI @ the dealer last Tuesday...car sat tues, into wed. thurs morning the wife drove it the 12 FLAT (no hills) miles to work... Fri during the same ride, the CEL came...
  7. G

Ran for 20 min, hit the highway for 4 miles, and then DIED!!

long and short: what's the best stuff to use to prevent fuel gelling?? I would think the fuel dealer (Shell) would add anti-gel to the fuel when buying....:( Was a GREAT (read: THICK sarcasm...) DAY!! -Headed to 1st day on NEW job after being out of work for 1.5yrs. -was GOING to be 20...
  8. G

Timing question? timing tools??

Hey guys, just went through changing the cam, etc. using the CORRECT TIMING PROCEDURE, tools, etc... my dilemma is this: after setting everything back to TDC (did not remove the tandem pump) with the RANGE of ADJUSTMENT of the Cam pulley, how in the WORLD do I know if the TIMING is...
  9. G

04 BEW. no start after cam change??? voltage??

timing done properly, turns over by hand, tandem pump WAS NOT removed... Although I will say, under starter load, the battery (was sitting for 40 days) was @ about 4 volts... 10.75 resting... Would LOW VOLTAGE cause a no-start issue? it will crank about 5-10 times, and then battery would die...
  10. G

Break-in oil...cam change

Hey guys.. replacing the cam... 04 PD car has 240k, not planning on it lasting till 1mil. miles, but a 100k more... What would you suggest for break-in oil? (oil + Additive, etc...) car is driven 'off-road' during break in. ( I'm out of work, and DO NOT have an unlimited budget, but...
  11. G

Drain Plug woes....

Hi Guys... 04 TDI Jetta. Pan is off for cleaning, etc during the cam change. Oil plug was leaking (stripped out...) thoughts on a fix? I was going to try and have a metal sleeve installed in the pan, tapped back to the 14mm x 1.5 of the drain plug (That's still in great shape...) or...
  12. G

reusable gaskets?

Oil pan? gotta take it down to look for metal from Failed cam :mad: oil filter housing?? same deal... are these reusable?? thanks all! J
  13. G

BRM or BEW cam??? 04 Jetta

Hey guys... I have a 04 jetta tdi. Wifey's car...rarely sees 3k+. another member has (or, maybe had one :rolleyes:) a BRM cam... I'd save a few hundred by going with the (3K mile old) BRM, but was told there might be some longetivity issues with it over a BEW cam... I'm just tryin to save...
  14. G

cam change tools? etc?

Hey guys... this may have been rehashed over and over and over... but the search function is sometimes disfunctional.. i need to perform a cam change in a 04... where to 'rent' the tools, or pics of homemade ones?? can i get the cam bearings out to see if they need to be replaced without...
  15. G

04 Jetta. noisy exhaust, black smoke, LOW power... thoughts??

Hey Guys... Want to say hi, been reading for a few months, went through the search feature but have not found too many concise answers to assist with this issue.. a little new to the TDI arena, but have been a general mechanic (no, not a parts swapper) for 15 or so yrs.) I have NEVER...
  16. G

04 TDI Jetta 5spd auto. Hey Guys... Want to say hi, been reading for a few months, went through the search feature but have not found too many concise answers to assist with this issue.. a little new to the TDI arena, but have been a general mechanic (no, not a parts swapper) for 15 or...
  17. G

04 TDI Jetta 5spd. noisy (exh or intake?) black smoke, loss of power (gradual...)

exhaust leak pre turbo??? Hey Guys... Want to say hi, been reading for a few months, went through the search feature but have not found too many concise answers to assist with this issue.. a little new to the TDI arena, but have been a general mechanic (no, not a parts swapper) for 15 or...